I am confused about the decree...

When I got the option of either burning or keeping it, I got confused. What exactly is a decree, and what does it mean? What of the two options are good for the family?

Comments

• edited March 2015

It's an order for the crown to receive ironwood exclusively from your family.

Keeping it means you are staying loyal to your family and burning it means you are erasing evidence of being connected to Tyrion and obeying Margaery's orders.

• Thx man u were a g8 help :D

It's an order for the crown to receive ironwood exclusively from your family. Keeping it means you are staying loyal to your family and burning it means you are erasing evidence of being connected to Tyrion and obeying Margaery's orders.

• edited March 2015

Oh, okay. The lord Mira met at the wedding, do you think he will help either way? I'm thinking of keeping it.

Not saying that you know the answer to that, but I can't remember what the lord said about the decree. I'm kind of tired.

It's an order for the crown to receive ironwood exclusively from your family. Keeping it means you are staying loyal to your family and burning it means you are erasing evidence of being connected to Tyrion and obeying Margaery's orders.

• I was confused as well I understand why you would burn it because it's a bad time to be connected to Tyrion but what advantage is there in keeping it? Can it still be used?

• El Taco is spot on. PS, did you keep the decree or burn it??

• edited March 2015

Actually I'm confused too.

I just don't see ANY point in keeping it at the moment. I mean:

• Morgryn outright tells you to get rid of it, and he won't even speak to you until then.

• With Tyrion gone and no longer the Master of Coin this decree is as good as NULL, the guy that will replace Tyrion will probably not even care about what his predecessor was up to, even worse, going AGAINST what Tyrion was doing might be the smart thing to do for him. That paper is worth jack squat currently.

• Keeping it links you to Tyrion, and by extension to all his "plottings" which would include the matter of Joffrey's poisoning. Waving it around and say "Hey guys, Tyrion signed this for me earlier.. Is it still any good ?" will only send you in jail faster than you can say poof.

Even with the previous stealable/keepable items I could see a use to it. For instance I kept the dagger, to protect myself if need be, I didn't steal the seals because I didn't want to, but at least I undertsood the kind of use it could've had.

With that decree though ? I'm lost, I don't see any point in keeping it.

• But this decree is useless anyway - it gives Foresters monopoly on Ironwood trade, but they don't have it. In the previous episode, Whitehills took it all. So, even with this decree, Foresters won't be able to fulfill the agreement.

• Lord Whitehill took it without permission. Ramsey said it the grove was to be divided, but Lord Whitehill assume that Ramsey's father Lord Bolton won't give a shit one war or another.

Of course if Lord Bolton is told that one of his new houses the Forrester's are the only clan that Crown will buy from, then it is likely that he will come down hard on Lord Whitehill for overstepping his bounds, and disobeying the original agreement. Lord Bolton may not care otherwise, but he isn't going to argue with the crown so Lord Whitehill can think that he has a big dick.

owyn posted: »

But this decree is useless anyway - it gives Foresters monopoly on Ironwood trade, but they don't have it. In the previous episode, Whitehills took it all. So, even with this decree, Foresters won't be able to fulfill the agreement.

• I got rid of it because the guy said he wouldnt even speak to me till it "dissapeared" anyway its pointless now with Tyrion gone, all it does is link us to him.

• My guess is it will be used as a weapon against the Whitehill. If it is sent to Lord Bolton right away he may assume that it comes from before the wedding, and therefor before all hell broke lose. With the state worrying about its own eternal matters they likely aren't going to worry about it right away.

In other words it may simply be seen as an order from the Crown, that after the trail may not be important enough for the Crown to overturn just because of who wrote it. We will see.

Byakuren posted: »

Actually I'm confused too. I just don't see ANY point in keeping it at the moment. I mean: * Morgryn outright tells you to get rid o

• edited March 2015

Can someone please tell me if there is any benefit in keeping the decree? With Tyrion in the slammer, it seems like a worthless piece of paper now. Could it still hold some weight or is it just a burden now?

• edited March 2015

I kept it just in case. Obviously Tyrion isn't of any use for it right now and the decree is as such worthless, possibly even dangerous. However, if you destroy it in private you have no proof you ever had it in the first place to be able to destroy it. If you keep it you can, if you want to, destroy it in front of the merchant Lord. I wouldn't give it to him though or he can blackmail Mira with it. I hope we'll get the chance to read it. There might be some useful info we can learn. We might also be able to show it to the new master of coin and ask for a signature. Or forge it if necessary. In any case, since I have already a bunch of incriminating evidence on me and stolen items I thought wth, I'll just go for it, LOL. Gonna keep everything I can get my hands on. Margerie doesn't like me right now anyway. It's all about the Forrwdters now. We gotta stay strong! Iron From Ice!

• However, before Morgryn left he said he was willing to speak with you again if you managed to get the decree from Tyrions desk

Actually he said he would only speak to you once it "dissapeared" so he wants rid of it.

• Tywin is the new master of coin right?

I don't see a reason for him to help us, but he's a strategist character, the Whitehills destroy the ironwood and can't match de Forresters' skill, so he may want the Forresters to take back the ironwood so they can harvest it and use it properly. Tyrion himself suggests in the first episode his father has taken interest in ironwood.

Idk, I just know the decree shall be useful some time.

VicMasina posted: »

I kept it just in case. Obviously Tyrion isn't of any use for it right now and the decree is as such worthless, possibly even dangerous. How

• I belive, in the books anyway, that it's Gyles Rosby that Cersei promotes to Master of Coin. I cant remember if they mention it in the show.

And then after Rosby, i think she goes with either Orton Merryweather or Harys Swyft. Or maybe it's Merryweather and then Swyft. I believe Swyft is still MoC as of the end of ADWD. But Cersei goes through a shitload of small council members very quickly after the mess with Tyrion and then the death of Tywin.

Tywin is the Hand of the King, which means he basically runs things in the Meta sense. And he will be out of the picture fairly quick here.

JPAssini posted: »

Tywin is the new master of coin right? I don't see a reason for him to help us, but he's a strategist character, the Whitehills destroy t

• Thanks for reminding me. It's been a while though when I read the books. Since they do go according to the show with this game it's hard to say if the new master of coin will matter for our gameplay. Hmm... I don't remember any new master of coin even mentioned in the show. Well then, I guess I should have my Mira pack her bags and get the hell out of there LOL. I'm in deep poopie :)

Arya_Stupid posted: »

I belive, in the books anyway, that it's Gyles Rosby that Cersei promotes to Master of Coin. I cant remember if they mention it in the show.

• No problem VicMasina, there's so much going on in the books, then to add the 'alternate' storylines of the show and game, and it's really hard to keep everything straight.

When Margary told me she'd send me home i was like ' fine bitch, send me home! I don't even know what the Fuck im doing here anyways, besides putting Your problems ahead of my own! '. I am so done with her.

I wish i could escape King's Landing, as i really don't see Mira being able to do anything for her family there, especially with the upheaval that's coming. Cersei with no one around to keep her in check, is not something that i even remotely want to deal with.

Thanks for reminding me. It's been a while though when I read the books. Since they do go according to the show with this game it's hard to

• I wouldn't put my confidence in any canon characters. They really have been more of a burden than an asset when it comes to helping House Forrester (Tyrion tries to help, but he's now toxic to be allied with).

JPAssini posted: »

Tywin is the new master of coin right? I don't see a reason for him to help us, but he's a strategist character, the Whitehills destroy t

• YESSSSSS!!! Those were EXACTLY my thoughts! I WANT Mira to go home! I don't understand why she wouldn't! Especially now after Tyrion has been arrested. And I hate it too, that out Mira isn't allowed to have her own effing problems! For the Forresters it's their LIFE! For Margeary it's just oooo I wanna be queen.. Spoiled brat. Even Sera's problems are worse than Margeary's. Her handmaidens are involuntarily in precarious positions, but Margeary LOVES POWER. That's how I remember her from the book.

Arya_Stupid posted: »

No problem VicMasina, there's so much going on in the books, then to add the 'alternate' storylines of the show and game, and it's really ha

• Yeah, I was also confused in regards to what he specifically meant by that. I initially interpreted it as him wanting it gone period due to his earlier comments about it being a bad time to be linked to Tyrion Lannister, but upon thinking about it, I figured it could go either way as you pointed out.

• Morgryn outright tells you to get rid of it, and he won't even speak to you until then.

The scene and its circumstance quite clearly imply that the decree is useful though.

He doesn't want it gone, he wants it out of Tyrion's possessions as the charter found in the possessions of a supposed criminal is unlikely to be passed.

It's certainly not clearly' you must get rid of the decree' - his entire introduction relates to using the decree.

Byakuren posted: »

Actually I'm confused too. I just don't see ANY point in keeping it at the moment. I mean: * Morgryn outright tells you to get rid o

• That's what I took away from her character in the book too.

She is a power hungry little schemer.

YESSSSSS!!! Those were EXACTLY my thoughts! I WANT Mira to go home! I don't understand why she wouldn't! Especially now after Tyrion has bee

• Yea, I totally interpreted it as "go get it so we can get the ball rolling before anyone notices it's gone" Might be a big whoops! coming up on my part next episode if he meant go burn it, hahaha.

However, before Morgryn left he said he was willing to speak with you again if you managed to get the decree from Tyrions desk Actually he said he would only speak to you once it "dissapeared" so he wants rid of it.

• If it's so clear, how about listing some use of it ? Because I honestly couldn't find a single one myself. Brock above gave a potential use, but it's FAR-fetched and so unlikely that it'd be hilarious if Mira did that. Sending a null decree to Roose Bolton would be a pretty stupid idea, unless Mira wants her family skinned alive for a petty piece of paper.

I felt like Morgryn told you to make it disappear, aka do whatever you want but destroy it.

Pretty much irrelevant. You can't compare the intentions of someone like Morgryn before an event such as Joffrey's death and after. Pre-Joffrey's death, Morgryn could've wanted to fill the world with Unicorns, it wouldn't change the fact that currently his objective is much different.

Currently, Morgryn will probably want to use Mira's name to make the prices go his way. He doesn't need no decree to agree with Mira about a higher average price of Ironwood... "Okay Mira, current Ironwood's average value is X, let's fake a disagreement and put it at X+Y, that'll make both our revenues much better, it'll surely help your family, and make me richer, what about it ?"

It's not like anyone can argue against them since they have the control of the Ironwood, it's not like it's something you can find anywhere.

So yeah, I still don't see any point in keeping the decree, the game will probably find a reason, it's just that as opposed to every single item before, I can't see it yet.

Flog61 posted: »

Morgryn outright tells you to get rid of it, and he won't even speak to you until then. The scene and its circumstance quite clearly

• This is a reply for all the comments above. Of course, it's redundant, seeing as the rest of the season has already come out, but the sheer stupidity of some of the stuff I read made me actually create an account JUST so I could reply this one convesation.

1) A Royal decree is a Royal decree. It means that the Crown wants whatever it decrees to happen, regardless of who was Master of Coin at the time, because the Master of Coin is merely a middle man between the merchants and the King. As the King, Jeoffrey especially, couldn't be bothered with actually writing it, the Master of Coin is entrusted with the Royal Seal, to validate that whatever is written is the will of the Crown. That's how stuff worked back then. Not signatures. Seals. Therefore the decree will still be valid, even after Jeoffrey'a death and Tyrion's imprisonment, as the Crown is more of an institution (there will always be a King). Besides, the decree would be the last written while Jeoffrey lived, which would make it his last, and not even Cercei would nullifiy her son's last wish, even if Tyrion wrote it (The Royal Seal is funny that way; any document stamped with it is 'the will of the King' no matter who wrote it)

2) The agreement between Tyrion and Mira was verbal only. The whole purpose of the decree was to make sure that everything happened as agreed. Burning it means the Whitehills get to sell FORRESTER Ironwood to the Crown. Thus Morgryn cannot ally with Mira if she doesn't have it. There is a dialogue option "I can get it!" to which he agrees and still responds with his "dissapear" line, which obviously means that you have to keep it, making it simply dissapear from the Imp's desk.

3) Asher needs money. Sellswords don't take well to being cheated. The Forresters have none. Do you want to send your House to utter ruin? Then burn the one document that could save you from the sellsword's wrath.

The only good points in this discussion are that Bolton will be forced to at least rein in the Whitehills because of the decree, and that you shouldn't try too hard, if at all, to appease the canon characters; do not forget that the point of the game is to show the story of a smaller House, and as pointed out, this conflicts with the interests of the canon characters.

• I think it is better to keep the decree because then it shows that Forrester's own the Ironwood Forest and that they are the only ones who can sell their Ironwood to the crown.

• The dilemma with the decree truly does raise a lot of questions. Morgryn could still get his hands on it if Mira is still alive. Or Cersei given her track record of tearing decrees up if Mira’s head is decorating Traitor’s Walk.

• I burnt it. I didn’t think being associated with Tyrion would be a good idea. But I played the game again not wanting anything to do with Tyrion at all yet I still get scolded by Margery and Cersai thinks I’m “best friends” with him. So I think that what happens with Tyrion doesn’t really matter because nobody trusts you. But I suppose that’s what it’s like in GOT

Sign in to comment in this discussion.