My Review of 'The Sword In The Darkness'

InGen_Nate_KennyInGen_Nate_Kenny Moderator
edited March 2015 in Game Of Thrones

Hey all,

I felt like this episode stirred enough of me that I had to make a post.

Let's do a simple pro and con post, that's easy and fast.

Pros

-Asher action.

-One Eyed-Croft. Excellent Introduction scene.

-Finn's personality change. He became a lot better.

-The arrival of Gryff Whitehill.

-Interesting choices at the end of the episode.

-Sera was really nice and I liked how she acted in this episode.

-The Night Watch vow scene at the weirwood tree was excellent.

-Gared-centric. Asher could have used more screen time, but Gared's parts were very good to me.

-Margaery's attitude change towards Mira was well done.

-Gwyn Whitehill's role was well done and I enjoyed it greatly.

Cons

-Again, Asher's parts are way too short. The Lost Lords suffered this as well. Drogon also, while cool, felt somewhat disappointing considering how this episode seemed to be hyped on his appearance.

-Structurally, this episode was very weird. 3 out of the 5 major choices on the choice screen occurred in the last 30 minutes of the episode. That really bothered me.

-The somewhat forced appearance of Cersei. Didn't fit in well with the rest of the episode.

-The damn coal boy surviving. I left him to die, and he survives. At least I felt perfectly fine being a total jerk to him.

-Ludd Whitehill did not appear. Very disappointing, even though I can see why.

-Elaena Glenmore didn't appear (if she does determinately please tell)

-Ser Royland wasn't very prominent, neither was the master, understandable, but disappointing.

All in all, I enjoyed this episode, but there's definitely work needed to be done, especially with Asher's screen time.

What do you think? I give it a 7.7 out of 10.

Comments

• Nice Review. Some fair points. I liked the episode. It felt to me like it was going at a very steady pace, unlike the previous episodes where it got really emotional at the end. Asher on screen is definitely something to be desired and a lot of other people took the back seat on this episode as well, but as you said it's understandable. I played the episode in a way where my choices seem to fit the story better (if that makes any sense?). So everything flowed quite nicely. This episode dealt a lot with trust which is what I love about Telltale games.

• edited March 2015

At least one person thinks Margaery's 180 degree turn on Mira was well written - I think exactly the opposite. In this episode she was worst than Queen Cersei, that's for sure. Episode was well written, of course, but connection between different choices was made in a very strange and illogical way: Tom's magical survival, Margaery's rudeness no matter what, Tyrion's help no matter what, degrees existence no matter what... The illusion of a choice didn't bother me before, but in this episode it was clearly visible which is rather disappointing.

• Just want to Say Finn's complete 180 character Change was ridiculous and silly xD

• edited March 2015

I get the appeal of playing a badass character in fight scenes i.e. Bigby Wolfe, but Asher is not being done very well at all. Most people who like him solely like him for that reason. So far in the limited screentime he has had, the most interesting thing about him is his relationship with Beshka. It seems like Telltale is more concerned with fanservice (aka fight scenes,) rather than establishing him as a character. GOT battle and fight scenes while epic, are not a common occurrence every episode; so giving us a one-dimensional, and cliché 'bad boy with a heart of gold' who only knows how to punch stuff and smirk is lazy writing, and not in-keeping with GOT universe of politics and strategy at all.

To obtain men for the house he is necessary, but there has been no character development whatsoever. Even Ethan had more of a presence, and he only lasted one episode.

• I think I actually cackled when he said, "You're the closest thing I've got to a friend." Like wtf??

Just want to Say Finn's complete 180 character Change was ridiculous and silly xD

• That's exactly what I think. Also, I fear that Asher's going to roam about in Essos for the rest of the season fulfiling pointless orders for Dany like taking her dragons for walkies and whatnot because modelling her character has to pay off somehow.

I get the appeal of playing a badass character in fight scenes i.e. Bigby Wolfe, but Asher is not being done very well at all. Most people w

Sign in to comment in this discussion.