A special video of CMI for non-english players!

Hi everyone!
I'm currently playing CMI to prepare myself for the return of Guybrush. I am playing it in french and I went on Youtube to see how the game is in english. I found a scene that was deleted in localised versions of the game.
It is the "A pirate I was meant to be" song and it is absolutely brilliant.
Link
Enjoy!

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Winckle wrote: »
    Hi everyone!
    I'm currently playing CMI to prepare myself for the return of Guybrush. I am playing it in french and I went on Youtube to see how the game is in english. I found a scene that was deleted in localised versions of the game.
    It is the "A pirate I was meant to be" song and it is absolutely brilliant.
    Link
    Enjoy!

Seriously, they sold CMI for the same price, without one of the top-5 most legendary moments ever in it?

For shame.
  • edited June 2009
    Gryffalio wrote: »
    Seriously, they sold CMI for the same price, without one of the top-5 most legendary moments ever in it?

For shame.

The song was cut from all localized versions, it probably was too demanding to translate it!
  • edited June 2009
    Actually, the scene IS in the non-US versions of the game, only the publisher added some line of code to skip it. You can see the song when playing CoMI with ScummVM. Some versions of ScummVM unlock it automatically, others need a little tweaking : put the language setting of the game to "English - US", then use the boot params* to start directly to scene 460. After the cutscene with Rottingham, the song will start playing like magic :) Note that when the language setting is set on English, you'll also see the english subtitles, a nice way to enjoy the original texts and jokes of the games ^^

*More info about that here : http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Boot_Params
  • edited June 2009
    I saw a localized version that had it, only they left that part dubbed in english. I think it was the polish version. the text was translated
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited June 2009
    I was furious when I found out a few years ago(played the German version). If translation work is done at all, let it be complete. Subtitles would have sufficed in this case, but not even that, the scene was just cut. A shame!
  • edited June 2009
    I couldn't care less this song was removed, I mean, it's not funny at all!
  • edited June 2009
    I was furious when I found out a few years ago(played the German version). If translation work is done at all, let it be complete. Subtitles would have sufficed in this case, but not even that, the scene was just cut. A shame!

I always think it's okay when they do translation, but then the songs in the native language with translated subtitles. Like the German version of The Simpsons.
  • edited June 2009
    Gryffalio wrote: »
    Like the German version of The Simpsons.
    Watching the German dub of Little Shop Of Horrors is actually quite weird - about half of it is still in English, albeit with subtitles... :D

np: Kruder & Dorfmeister - Original Bedroom Rockers (G-Stoned)
  • edited June 2009
    In spanish versions the publisher skipped the scene too

In 2000 ScummVM didnt exist, and there was a workaround to back the scene to life
    The way to do it, was a little patch (CMIUNCUT.exe) modifying the COMI.exe executable file. and This modification enabled the scene.
    I remember there was lines of dialog untranslated, some translated, but the entire song wasnt dubbed

I still have this patch file in my computer, if someone wants it, send me a pm
  • edited June 2009
    the thing is it's pretty hard technically to dub this song in the game, because the entire song is a single file in the resource files, and IMuse uses fades and skips to reach certain points in it, it's not like every line you choose is a different voice file that's dubbed over music, so to translate it, they have to record a new song accurately like the original, like - second to second match, so the timing of the Imuse will be the same, or else they have to change the timing and stuff for Imuse, which is way too much work, so skipping it makes sense.
  • edited June 2009
    Mataku wrote: »
    the thing is it's pretty hard technically to dub this song in the game, because the entire song is a single file in the resource files, and IMuse uses fades and skips to reach certain points in it, it's not like every line you choose is a different voice file that's dubbed over music, so to translate it, they have to record a new song accurately like the original, like - second to second match, so the timing of the Imuse will be the same, or else they have to change the timing and stuff for Imuse, which is way too much work, so skipping it makes sense.

Uhm, I'm PRETTY sure they would've gotten the music without the english voices to sing a translated version over it ;-) (after all, the cutscenes have all audio mixed together as well, so they got versions without the english voices, and added the localized ones). It's not like this was an amateur-project... they got the necessary resources from LucasArts. The timing wouldn't have been a problem either, as it's defined by the length of the music. The reason why there wasn't a translation was because of all the rhymes... it's not that it wasn't possible to translate that thing AT ALL, but for example in Germany localization projects are usually rather time- and money-restricted, so I guess it just wasn't doable in time (the subtitles are translated partially though).
Sign in to comment in this discussion.