I've got a BIT of an idea guys. Lets huddle up.

2»

Comments

• edited October 2006
    So we're officialy doing a Sam and Max thing instead of something original?
  • edited October 2006
    So we're officialy doing a Sam and Max thing instead of something original?
    Well, so far we're not doing anything yet.
  • edited October 2006
    No, no! We're about 50% complete on our project! We have people who want to help, but simply can't! I mean, that's all we need for a game, right? People who say they can do stuff, but never do! I mean, what else do we need, really?
  • edited October 2006
    I'd absolutely love to do music for this. And maybe also some sort of dialogue work. Of course, I have sincere doubts about it ever getting off the ground, but... I'm up for it. I need inspiration to get some more music going. I'll try to keep an eye on this thread, and if you ever get to the stage where you really need something, just let me know.

You can find some examples of my music at

http://home.messiah.edu/~as1321/MIDI
    http://www.myspace.com/aaronsaraco

You can also find some examples of my art/animation/writing at Newgrounds, although I'm not really proud of any of it since I really didn't write scripts for them; they're just tests.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/265596
    (and the others can be found by following the info from there)

I suppose a better art/writing example would be this comic at
    http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/26886728

And I'll stop posting links now because who cares?
  • edited October 2006
    While you guys have been coding the last 4 fangames, I've gone ahead and created the box-art for the second-last episode. I think it worked out pretty well.

sammaxweb4cr3.gif

So, when do we see a playable demo of the first fangame episode?

Guys, if I don't see some progress, I'm going to stop investing hours of my precious time into these most awesome concepts.
  • edited October 2006
    I too would be very interested in doing music for this, whether it be a collaboration or whatever. I'll post some samples up tonight, I just need to figure out where to put them.

I would say though that I'd be much more interested in an original game concept than a sam and max thing.

I will say though that it will be difficult. Very difficult and the very first hurdle that most of these attempts fail at is just getting started. Even a two screen tech-demo helps, because it's so easy to lose motivation on these projects. What I'm saying is that it's a big commitment and there's no room for wasting time. I'm sure you know this but I've been involved in a couple of projects that never got off the ground for this very reason
  • edited October 2006
    as promised, some musical samples.

http://peter.silk.googlepages.com/forest.mp3 A quirky little tune

http://peter.silk.googlepages.com/night.mp3 Eerie background music

http://peter.silk.googlepages.com/sctheme3.mp3 A theme tune of sorts

http://peter.silk.googlepages.com/greg12.mp3 A brassy bad guy theme which was recorded at a time I was having troubles with my equipment so it's not quite how I hoped, I'm working on fixing now that everything works. I like the general idea a lot though, so I included it.

All of those are orchestral type ones because a lot of the stuff I've done is, but I have worked in lots of different styles. In fact, while we're here let's have the LeChuck Theme in a slightly Grim Fandango style, eh?

http://peter.silk.googlepages.com/lejazz.mp3
  • edited October 2006
    I don't care what you've done in the past.

Do something SAM & MAX-y-ish and post it here!

C'mon doods and chicks, ROCK this puppy!
  • edited October 2006
    I must say, though, that your LeChuck OC Remix is superb Inso.
  • edited October 2006
    As it happens, I am working a piece that is suitably sam and max ish anyway, but as I said, this project will be much more appealing to me if it is something original.

The way I see it Telltale have all our sam and max needs covered. I'd be much more encouraged to help in the music and story/scriptwriting of something original. I think telltale would like to think that they inspired their fans to work on something completely their own, off their own backs.

There's probably enough creativity and talent around the place, the problem is, as always, momentum.
  • edited October 2006
    I just thought I'd post up a little sample of that vaguely sam and maxy-ish thing I happened to be working on. It's still a work in progress, but I like where it's going.

http://peter.silk.googlepages.com/sleuth.mp3
  • edited October 2006
    Very cool, man. Very cool.

I sold it on eBay for quite a good amount of money.

You got any more?

Jokes. It wasn't that much, but I still made a profit.

Kidding.

You got any more?

Very cool.
  • edited October 2006
    I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm trying to work on a game project at the moment. It's an original graphic adventure game called Macabre. Has a lot of Grim Fandango influences. A tale of murder, evil, mystery, family and comedy. It's also a fairly complex tale, with about seven different sub-plot running concurrently. I'm function as the leader writer and designer, and working with one other designer. It's a title that I'm going to finish regardless of circumstances, but I'm going to need help, and help that will stick around. If you guys want to do something else, that's fine, but just keep me, and Macabre, in mind.
  • edited October 2006
    I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm trying to work on a game project at the moment. It's an original graphic adventure game called Macabre. Has a lot of Grim Fandango influences. A tale of murder, evil, mystery, family and comedy. It's also a fairly complex tale, with about seven different sub-plot running concurrently. I'm function as the leader writer and designer, and working with one other designer. It's a title that I'm going to finish regardless of circumstances, but I'm going to need help, and help that will stick around. If you guys want to do something else, that's fine, but just keep me, and Macabre, in mind.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! Good joke there buddy. But seriously - good luck.
  • HeatherleeHeatherlee Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2006
    HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! Good joke there buddy. But seriously - good luck.

Don't be mean. It IS possible for people to work together and make independant games. Is has been done and it will be done again. Sometimes it takes awhile to get projects off the ground. Being discouraging doesn't help anyone.

To everyone participating in this thread in a positive manner: I am feeding like a vampire off the creative energy you are providing here. Keep up the good work!
  • edited October 2006
    If anyone working on any game still needs a writer, I'm still available. I realise that most fan projects already have a story, but writing is more than just making up a story. You also need good, witty dialogue, and it never hurts to have another (creative?) mind have a look at what you've written. A lot of movies and video games have more than one writer.

Besides, writing is the only thing I'm good at. Just don't tell anyone that. I like to think I'm... dun dun dun... OMNIPOTENT!!!

Wait, what was the question again?
  • edited October 2006

Don't be mean. It IS possible for people to work together and make independant games. Is has been done and it will be done again. Sometimes it takes awhile to get projects off the ground. Being discouraging doesn't help anyone.

To everyone participating in this thread in a positive manner: I am feeding like a vampire off the creative energy you are providing here. Keep up the good work!

I'm glad someone said it.

As well as music stuff I am quite happy to help with the writing. But we need to build up some momentum and use it to actually start building the game.

There is a game I've wanted to make for some time about an alien who is in charge of finding a new planet that his people can colonise and heads to Earth only to discover that it is considerably more populated than he had previously thought and they're not too happy about the way he crash landed on a small farming community.

If that's the sort of idea that appeals to anyone then we can try it. Or not - but the important first step here is just to decide on a project. Which means as well as 'I can do the _____' style posts, we need a few more ideas bouncing around.
  • edited October 2006
    Don't get me wrong - I'd LOVE to see a SAM & MAX fangame, but I just KNOW that it's not going to happen. People working on it need more than enthusiasm and people saying GOOD LUCK...and that means TANGIBLE REWARDS, like MONEY or a suitable substitute.

Anyways, all of you working on the fangame will be pleased to know, that after MORE extansive market research, I have come up with a premise for the SIXTH and FINAL chapter of our EPIC tale:

sammaxweb5wg3.gif
  • edited October 2006
    TANGIBLE REWARDS, like MONEY or a suitable substitute.
    1. So how much money do you make with your web comic?
    [ ] a lot (go to question 2)
    [ ] hardly anything at all (go to question 3)

2. Tell me your secret. (end of questionnaire)

3. Then why bother?
  • edited October 2006
    TANGIBLE REWARDS, like MONEY or a suitable substitute.
    1. So how much money do you make with your web comic?
    [ ] a lot (go to question 2)
    [ ] hardly anything at all (go to question 3)

2. Tell me your secret. (end of questionnaire)

3. Then why bother?

Answer to question 2:

My webcomic serves as a continuously updated online portfolio of my work, and an example of what I think is funny. As such, I get a lot of work via my webcomic which makes me money.

No, I'm not making money off the actual comic now, but I'm in it for the long haul. I'm on 236 comics, and I know I've still got a LOOOOOOOOONG way to go. It is intensely personal and very much MY OWN UNIQUE product. I have blind hope that it'll one day support me. When working in a team, it's hard to make EVERYONE feel as though without them, the project would dissolve, and so money is a BIG contributing factor to continuing. (or, I have yet to find someone who is willing to undertake someone else's project for a period of longer than 6 months with no financial reward where you're depending on others to do their part to support the project).

To the CREDIT of fangames, I showed a little MAX animation I did for FLINTLOCKED (the first uber-ambitious fangame started a while ago) to UNESCO, and they let me get involved in a 5-week free animation training course, so it all adds up eventually...

I wish you luck in convincing people to get involved. I guess it IS possible, really, everyone involved can show prospective clients a project they've been involved in, so I guess you get out what you put in.
  • edited October 2006
    The problem with starting a team online to make a fan-game? Your team ends up wanting to play the game rather than to design it, to see results rather than come up with their own. That's the problem when trying to extend an already popular franchise, sometimes you need people who are just more experienced and don't have a clue when you say "Sam & Max, those freelancing police-type guys."

I also think it was a lot easier to motivate people to create a 2D game when they were totally hip and cool with all the developers.
    “We’re so not doing text anymore, now we have the chance to use sprites on our super limited palettes!” Nowadays we’re given so many privileges that just can’t be taken advantage of because we are just not used to the challenge required, not to mention that it’s harder to motivate yourself let alone an online team to work with old technology.

I have to agree that there is no better motivation than money though. ;)

I have an urge to draw me some Samurai and Maxicus, freedom protectors now! I'll settle with the freelance police though. Maybe anyways :)
  • edited October 2006
    I'm still not certain why everyone is only talking about fan games. Wouldn't it be nice, more creative and in fact more legally sound to make an original adventure?

I mean there's this company called Telltale and they seem to be doing a fine job of making Sam and Max games so far but it's taken them a lot of time and the blessing and guidance of Steve Purcell to do it. It's in good hands!

We all love Sam and Max, but is that the extent of our imaginations?
  • edited October 2006
    You will be super-stoked to know I have taken your original premise and created awesome box art for it.

Programmers and script-writers! Stop working on the Sam & Max fangame! We're doing a new one now. It's called; "ALIENS". Read a couple of posts back for an idea of the premise of the whole game.

Okay, 1, 2, 3, LET'S DO IT! C'mon, you, do the story, you, do the music, you, do the marketing, you, do the producing, and you do the sprites. You, do the...no, YOU! YES, YOU! Do the programming.

Right then. I got a REEEEAL good feeling 'bout this!
    :D
    sammaxweb6jy5.gif
  • edited October 2006
    Guys...

I think I just had a brainwave.

You know what I wouldn't mind doing?

A DAY OF THE TENTACLE fangame.

Dudes from FLINTLOCKED - you in? Remember how we started FLINTLOCKED and lo and behold we were blessed with a most amazing Sam & Max game, with 5 MORE EPISODES TO GO?!

Well, hear me now - I will work on a fangame, if it is DOTT. We'll make a very short PILOT game - 3 rooms, 1 character, text-speech, with one puzzle - THAT'S IT. If it works, we'll go further.

I'll be happy to do the art. I know guys who will do music. If someone can come up with like, a 3 page script, VERY SIMPLE, with one puzzle and 3 rooms, BASIC SPEECH BRANCHES, and someone will agree to program it in SLUDGE or AGS or FLASH, I'm game.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.