Would you play a demo?

If TTG release a demo of Tales before release, would you play it? Or would you rather wait until the full game to prevent spoilers.

I would wait (only a week after all!)

Comments

• edited June 2009
    I have voted to wait, there is quite a bit about the game in the way of gameplay videos from E3, and screenshots etc that it would probably be best to wait until it is fully released
  • edited June 2009
    I guess it sort of depends. I suppose I said I would, but I'd probably see if they spoil the final puzzle again like they did with Wallace and Gromit. I was so annoyed because Fright of the Bumblebees was so good, and they spoiled my final puzzle experience.
  • edited June 2009
    A demo to an adventure game seems...silly. Demos to me are for games that have circular, repetitive gameplay. And since its episodic...yea ill wait...
  • edited June 2009
    no way. but I do think a demo - a little teaser - is a good way to make a couple of more fans, so they should definitely go for it if possible.
  • edited June 2009
    Had you asked this a few weeks ago I would've said yes. But I can easily make it 7 days. Plus with the 4th coming up this weekend (go America!) there will be plenty of partying ensuing and I will barely have enough time to complete EMI before next Tuesday (and I still plan on playing my episodes of Sam and Max and Wallace and Grommit).
  • edited June 2009
    I'd like to wait, but I BET I wouldn't be able to resist.
  • edited June 2009
    I would, why not?
  • edited June 2009
    If it was a game I wasn't sure I was going to buy (or had not already bought, in this case), then yes I would.

But, in regard to ToMI, no.
  • edited June 2009
    It's one week you addicts!
  • edited June 2009
    It's one week you addicts!
    Well for a lot of people. But starting on the second, I won't be able to do any video gaming for a week and a half. So I do have a bit more to wait. ;)
  • edited June 2009
    Well for a lot of people. But starting on the second, I won't be able to do any video gaming for a week and a half. So I do have a bit more to wait. ;)

Yeah, I won't actually be able to play the game until three days after I am able to. It's kind of annoying. Stupid responsibilities.
  • edited June 2009
    I...will try it. Mainly to see the whole concept of MI, as I have..never played any of the games.

However, my reason for trying it is...because...I...Had a dream...That I was playing MI...and God told me to buy the game. BUY IT. So I must demo it, and see if my dream was worth all the hype.
  • edited June 2009
    Thespis wrote: »
    If it was a game I wasn't sure I was going to buy (or had not already bought, in this case), then yes I would.

My view too exactly.

But has ever TTG published a demo before the release, anyway? I seem to remember they always publish the whole thing.
  • edited June 2009
    GozzoMan wrote: »
    My view too exactly.

But has ever TTG published a demo before the release, anyway? I seem to remember they always publish the whole thing.
    Wallace and Gromit had a demo before release. It was a surprise to everybody.
  • edited June 2009
    i'd like to wait until the end of the season (i just played sam and max season 1 all in a row and it was really awesome) but i don't know if i can stand it! :D
  • edited June 2009
    Fulvio75 wrote: »
    i'd like to wait until the end of the season (i just played sam and max season 1 all in a row and it was really awesome) but i don't know if i can stand it! :D

I cant do that as I want to be on these forums discussing Ep1 until Ep2 comes out! I'd have to avaoid the forums entirely if I waited.
  • TeaTea
    edited June 2009
    An engine demo where Guybrush needs to find his way out of a room maybe, but not a demo of the actual game.
  • edited June 2009
    TheJoe wrote: »
    An engine demo where Guybrush needs to find his way out of a room maybe, but not a demo of the actual game.

Like a tutorial level perhaps.

Regarding the poll, I don't wish to play the demo because I've already committed to buying the game. I only play demos of games I'm not sure of getting.
  • edited June 2009
    plrichard wrote: »
    Had you asked this a few weeks ago I would've said yes. But I can easily make it 7 days.

My opinion too.
  • edited June 2009
    Demos of adventure games make sense if they have their own self-contained stories separate from the full versions. Like the original SMI demo, SQ6, Freddy Pharkas (disk version), and others. I rather subscribe to Josh Mandel's way of looking at adventure demos. It kinda feels like I'm wasting a bit of money on an adventure game when a demo of that game exists where you're able to play the beginning sections. It's just not the same as action games where the gameplay is (can be) different every time you play. The demo in that case is for the experience to let you know what kind of an action game it is. The selling points of an adventure game are the story and interface. So showing a story only found in the demo and not in the full game while simultaneously showcasing the interface is the perfect way to experience an adventure game demo. That way nothing is ruined when you play the full game and you don't feel cheated like you've already missed part of the game while paying full price for it.
  • edited June 2009
    I know I should wait, not spoil my gameplay and all that, but... hell yes I'd play a demo. I want my candy!!!!!!
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited June 2009
    Unfortunately, I have no other choice but to play a demo first. The control issue is just too important to be overlooked (I still don't know if the W&G demo had a bug, or if it was just my computer which made the mouse pointer tremble instead of smoothly move over the screen). I already accepted the graphics - there's only this thing left to be clarified before I can buy the game.

Any news on the demo?!
  • edited June 2009
    sure I would - provided it comes out on the 6th the latest :)
  • edited June 2009
    I've been waiting for a demo ever since it was announced. Hopefully this weekend. I don't think a demo would be a that big a spoiler, because in the first half of the wallace and gromit demo there was a completely unrelated part to the game just to get a hang of the controls. I would really like to celebrate my independence this weekend by playing as a very independent character, A PIRATE! Arrgggh!
  • edited June 2009
    Why would I spoil the experience for myself when the full game is only a couple of days away? Oh, yeah, because I can't control myself that's why. :D

Time will tell if I can hold out or not.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm in the middle of Season Two of Sam and Max, so I'll be fine.
  • edited June 2009
    I put no, however I know loads of people that I could recomend the demo to!! So its a great idea to get new people interested cos tbh it seems a lot of people I have spoken to about the new game release are too young to have played the mi games the first time round and dont know what it is. I would even put it on my friens forum cos I was asking people what games they play and mentioned monkey island put only one person knew of it and they were my age.
  • edited July 2009
    actually im quite tempted to wait till all episodes are released and then play them all in 1 go!! i'm gonna hate the inevitable cliff hangers between episodes lol
  • edited July 2009
    The demo of MI3 got me so excited about the game but no, I wouldn't play a demo unless it was a short side-story that wasn't part of the full game. I've already paid for it - there's no point spoiling the game!
  • edited July 2009
    I'd play it, just to see if it worked on my laptop.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.