How are you preparing yourself for Tales of Monkey Island?

Well everyones getting excited about the new Monkey Island game coming out, i know i am,i havent played any of the TellTale games before,so i thought id download a demo of Sam & Max,after downloading, to my suprize it didnt play and kept coming up with an error of that i need Direct 3D,checked everything, but nothing worked,i was worried that i wouldnt be able to play Tales of Monkey Island on the day of release

so i decided that i need to buy a new graphics card,something cheap and cheerful,went into my local "computer exchange"(2nd hand game retailer),now i need a AGP card (yeah i know there pretty old now) and i saw a Geforce 4 128mb DDR card for only £8.00, which was a bargin for that price,came home to try it out my pc,and it didnt work,the card was faulty(and yes i have tried it on other pc's to find out) i guess when they say things are too good to be true, then generally are,i tried my dads graphics card in my machine(it was a Geforce MX4000, 128MB DDR) and Sam & Max played like a charm,now the company i bought my cheap card from said i had only 48Hrs to return it, or i have 12 months warrenty on it, i returned it today and got myself a Geforce fx 5500 128MB DDR for only £15.00(i think they retail at £30.00 or more) the was a raddieon 9250, but i heard that wasnt that good,so ive taken the card home,fingers crossed......................................and it worked!!!

i went through all this trouble,just so i can play my all time favourite game, now my question to you guys is,do you have any stories to tell on if you had to do something extra just so you can play Tales of Monkey Island

Comments

• edited June 2009
    To prepare I have started carrying random inventory in my pants in case I need to use them later.... You know, gotta stay in practice or you lose it.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm keeping psyched by reading and looking at piratey stuff. Reading Polly and the Pirates right now, going to read George MacDonald Frasier's The Pyrates and a book on Grace O'Malley. Got "The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything" stuck in my head since yesterday, and started making up new verses to go with it. Probably going to watch the first Pirates of the Caribbean soon.

oh, and I really hope they used CHARTS in the game this time. Not maps, CHARTS. >:P
  • edited June 2009
    I beat the other four Monkey Island games to catch up. Then went back to those old Monkey Island fansites that i havn't visited in years like the Scumm Bar.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm not, really. It's just gonna kind of hit me when it's out and I'm just gonna freak out without any preparation at all. The fact that I'm preparing to move to a new area of the city by packing and stuff probably has a hand in that as well...
  • edited June 2009
    As Ganon Sheik is doing, Playing through all 4 MI games again, currently on CMI at mo not far from finishing it
  • edited June 2009
    iv been playing the old games, and reliving my youth! cant wait for the new games!!!!:-D
  • edited June 2009
    I just hang around here and post stupid things! Yeah!
  • edited June 2009
    Last week I played MI1 + MI2 (ScummVM@PSP), yesterday I finished MI3 (ScummVM@PC) and started MI4 with the higher-resolution-patch.
  • edited June 2009
    Cyphox wrote: »
    I just hang around here and post stupid things! Yeah!

Me too, and I read and do crappy fan art everyone seems to hate LOL.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm part way through MI3 in my replaying of all 4... only 6 days to finish two games with as little help from walkthroughs as possible. Will I succeed? Nail biting tension...

*edit only 4 days because I'm away for two. Erk!
  • edited June 2009
    I coincedentally played through all of them for the first time in years just before Telltale announced the new series. So I am WELL prepared.
  • edited July 2009
    Last Sunday morning I woke up and felt like playing MI I and II again, and so I did. Now I am playing the English versions, too to compare the jokes and word-play.
  • edited July 2009
    I'm preparing myself by being delighted over the fact that all five episodes together are just 35 USD cheap as opposed to the upgrades to Native Instruments Komplete 5 (and an NI KORE controller) and Steinberg Cubase 5 that I ordered today, which cost a whopping 1000 EUR together... :D

np: Future Sound Of London - Private Psyche And Inner Life (From The Archives Vol. 5)
  • edited July 2009
    I eat.
    Period

Naaaaahhhh :p I'm actually helping my little bro work on his little MI-surprise-clip. :D And started playing some old games which I have missed (as in, never got the chance of playing them): Grim Fandango, The Dig and Full Throttle...any suggestions? Which should I play first?
  • edited July 2009
    I eat.
    Period

Naaaaahhhh :p I'm actually helping my little bro work on his little MI-surprise-clip. :D And started playing some old games which I have missed (as in, never got the chance of playing them): Grim Fandango, The Dig and Full Throttle...any suggestions? Which should I play first?

Well, if you like science fiction and good stories you HAVE to play The Dig first. I would.
  • edited July 2009
    Cyphox wrote: »
    Well, if you like science fiction and good stories you HAVE to play The Dig first. I would.

Both Full Throttle and Grim Fandango are better games, though.
  • edited July 2009
    MI3, Act IV, Cemetary... looking at plaque on grave. "It says Tex Venture"

brilliant
  • edited July 2009
    I eat.
    Period

If you want a SCUMM (tm) experience I would recommend Full Throttle, if you want an even more awesome adventure game, play Grim Fandango (just pray to god that you can manage the controlls, because they are kinda nasty), the dig however can wait until the other games are done or as chilling out the frustration of the other two :)
  • edited July 2009
    yugge wrote: »
    If you want a SCUMM (tm) experience I would recommend Full Throttle, if you want an even more awesome adventure game, play Grim Fandango (just pray to god that you can manage the controlls, because they are kinda nasty), the dig however can wait until the other games are done or as chilling out the frustration of the other two :)

yeah, Grim Fandango is brilliant but ruined by terrible controls. Surely someone must have noticed when they were testing it...
  • edited July 2009
    At the time (1998) the controls where not that bad, the most popular games at the time was like Resident Evil and RE2 had just came out.. and their controls where equally wonky... but nobody seemed to notice or care at the time.
  • edited July 2009
    Irishmile wrote: »
    Me too, and I read and do crappy fan art everyone seems to hate LOL.
    I actually like the MI2:SE thing you made a lot.
  • edited July 2009
    At the time (1998) the controls where not that bad, the most popular games at the time was like Resident Evil and RE2 had just came out.. and their controls where equally wonky... but nobody seemed to notice or care at the time.

Well, you're right. I however despise the way of finding small things using the "interact with things manny looks at" mechanics. Left me running around a looong time looking for things when they where at places I've already looked, only that I've failed to notice that there in fact was two and not one point of interest etc.
  • edited July 2009

I dunno, the original Resident Evil still plays ok now but GF seems really difficult
  • edited July 2009
    Thanks for the suggetions guys! I think I'll just go and play them all at the same time. I was amazed by The Dig's intro... It's even more complex than DOTT. Funny how actual games don't impress me that much, but knowing that every single pixel in The Dig was PLACED there by SOMEONE who worked really really hard, simply leaves me in awe.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.