My decisions better start mattering

2»

Comments

• don't hold your breath you might die

• edited April 2015
    1. You submitted to Gryff Whitehill? Gryff will name himself Lord of Ironrath because he thinks he's the boss now
    2. You stood up to Gryff Whitehill? Gryff will name himself Lord of Ironrath because he is angry of your defiance

That's all. "Story is tailored by how you play" in action.

• I'm hoping something like a determinant character based on whether or not you submitted to him. Not gonna keep my hopes too high for something major like that, but like I said as well I don't really mind since the overall story itself has me on for the whole ride.

JohnKersky posted: »

* You submitted to Gryff Whitehill? Gryff will name himself Lord of Ironrath because he thinks he's the boss now * You stood up to Gryff Wh

• How exactly is that supposed to play out differently? He was taking over either way.

JohnKersky posted: »

* You submitted to Gryff Whitehill? Gryff will name himself Lord of Ironrath because he thinks he's the boss now * You stood up to Gryff Wh

• I still enjoy the game because 1) I'm a huge fan of GoT(I've seen every episode of every season except 5 literally 9 times. Yes, every episode 9 times which is basically 15 full days of watching). 2) Telltale's game's are simply fun and while not as "tailored" as I'd like them to be, the stories are fun and I enjoy the writing.

That said however, there are too many blatant things that just make the "cause and effect" aspect of this so much worse than what I remember from previous TT Games. Lets look at all the things you try to prevent but happen anyway:

• Ethan dies no matter how careful you are. Not really a surprise considering it's Ramsay Snow(Bolton), but still...
    • Even if you say no, your Uncle still leaves to retrieve Asher. In GoT, the word of a Lord isn't taken lightly. Even if it's a young Lord.
    • If you refuse the deal with Tyrion, don't ask Margaery for help with anything, play your cards perfectly with her and completely respect everything she does, you still get roped into a deal with Tyrion(last time I checked humans have the ability to say no) and she still gets pissed.
    • If you choose to save Beskha and cater to her in every way, she still decides she's not coming with you(correct me if I'm wrong, I just assumed)
    • Even if you leave the Coal Boy when he tries to save you, he still lives, he's just slightly annoyed then is like "it's cool you left me to die we good"
    • Even if you decide to do the right thing and spare Britt, he still dies and (evidently) you still get in trouble for it.
    • Even if you don't help Sera in any way, she still is like "well since you helped me so much I'll help you with Margaery.

The only choice I've seen that hasn't yet even revealed itself to even matter much but MIGHT make a difference is whether or not you get Elaena Glenmore to marry Rodrik. Like I said, there's still no evidence that this makes much of a difference, and I have a sneaking suspicion that somehow that will fall through even if you convinced her, and that's not saying much for the writing.

I have to say, this game though still enjoyable seems to be rushed. It looks like they're planning to go somewhere with a choice, and then they change it last second to make the choice irrelevant. Tbh, I think Telltale should maybe cut the "wait for fan feedback before writing the next episode" thing and start writing things that make sense. Or... cut the "filler" scenes that trick you into thinking what you're doing matters and at least add more depth to the story through longer conversations and interactions. JS.

• Peoples response to this daft.Choices dont matter but surely they should therefore aim for choices to matter moreand frankly if choices do not matter at all in this then I kind of agree with what is the point in playing it, or more so whats the point in trying to pick smart choices if the dumb choices lead to the same outcome

• The comment section in this forum is the best I've seen in my life...

• It wouldn't be fun if we could control everything, it would make events more difficult to occur, however, it would've been nice to have an option where you could still be a favourite of Lady Margaery etc.

Ryanoo posted: »

I still enjoy the game because 1) I'm a huge fan of GoT(I've seen every episode of every season except 5 literally 9 times. Yes, every episo

• edited April 2015

with what is the point in playing it,

For the great story. Look at The Wolf Among Us (picking it because it's a complete Telltale game). Choices meant nothing in that game, yet the overall story was so good most people didn't even care.

whats the point in trying to pick smart choices if the dumb choices lead to the same outcome

Illusion of choice man. No matter how much some people tell themselves choices don't matter, they still stress when the time to make a choice comes along because they are worried about the impact during that time.

Peoples response to this daft.Choices dont matter but surely they should therefore aim for choices to matter moreand frankly if choices do n

• Still while I get some nerves playing it thats reducing more and more lately I thought about the Britt thing and then just thought oh well it wont matter probably hes going to die regardless so I punted him off.

with what is the point in playing it, For the great story. Look at The Wolf Among Us (picking it because it's a complete Telltale ga

• I have to agree the walking dead season one was amazing with the illusion choices like Doug or Carly with characters still showing signs of life after becoming determinate , Kenny carrying grudge against you if you failed to pick his side even once in episodes 1-4 effected tons of different diolog, choosing to shoot Lee or leave him becoming the sadest choice in video game History.

Season 2 pretty much threw all the choices from episodes 4-5 out of the window all for the final choice which seemed completely out of character for Jane and overall messy. Would of made more sense if the baby died to exposer to the elements showing there was nothing Jane could of done either that or have Jane go more psychopathic after the fight with Kenny showing that it is possible for the player to make a bad choice.

Every Telltale game has an illusion of choice, but starting with Season 2 of the Walking Dead it started to get really damn obvious about it. I swear after the Walking Dead these games started to get lazier, which really makes me sad.

• There's only so much Telltale can do. They can't create endless storylines with countless outcomes. They take long enough to put out episodes as it is.

Granted, there are some things that could have easily been avoided. There's no way to avoid fighting Finn. You can not punch him at all and let him clobber you, but it makes no difference.

You also can't avoid killing Britt. There's no way in hell that there weren't others on the wall who could have come to Gared's aid if Gared had just shouted out.

And then there's Tyrion. It's impossible to refuse the deal with him. You never get an option to refuse him, and then regardless of what you do Margaery get's pissed at you. I get that Telltale is trying to put you in un-winnable situations, but these situations ARE winnable.

• i think you have the option of choice like in the walking dead... you could decide if you chopped off lees arm for example.. i think the choices matters a lot in the game. how you play, the storie continues. i like that and if someone say he doesnt think so its ok everyone has his own opinion :) i like the telltale games a lot because you can choose your own way (how to deal with the characters and the story) ^^

• Or players could just choose not to buy anymore Telltale games until they make a game with a bit more player agency. While I like the overall story, if it's gonna be a railroad plot there has got to be a bit more meat in the dining car on the gameplay side of things (puzzles, mini-game, more interactivity, or something). As it stands, while I'm hoping there will be significantly different and varied end stories at the conclusion based on player choices throughout the game, if that doesn't prove true, barring a change of course on their part down the road, this will be my last Telltale game.

• Remember that the game is still in its early episodes so nobody can really say that yet.

Choices matter. They just don't matter much.

• It's possible but it'd take them year to create a single episode. At least, a year. Are you ready for such waiting game? :D

BeklopptPoE posted: »

Well, It is possible. But it is going to be very expensive. And judging by how often Telltale reuses animations and voices, I don't think they have so much money.

• Nope, Beskha doesn't say anything about not travelling with you anymore, at least not in Episode 3, should you save her.

Ryanoo posted: »

I still enjoy the game because 1) I'm a huge fan of GoT(I've seen every episode of every season except 5 literally 9 times. Yes, every episo

• Ooo didn't know that. Good thing I'm in the process of replaying and I saved her!

That1Guy posted: »

Nope, Beskha doesn't say anything about not travelling with you anymore, at least not in Episode 3, should you save her.

• edited April 2015

Picking between trusting Jack and Fiona. I mean, Fiona's plan might do nothing and Jack's could kill everyone.

I don't get what people are saying about the choice thing in Tales from the Borderlands. All Episode 2 did was give you an option to choose

• edited April 2015

Just gonna say I love that pic of Rodrik and Bigby. You should put it in the Game of Thrones Meme and Fun thread :P

Except that Ep4 hasn't come out yet so how would you know? I was talking about dialogue in this episode, but as you said it didnt co

Sign in to comment in this discussion.