Difference between castellan and sentinell?

Whar's the difference between castellan and sentinell .Even if you choose Royland as sentinel ,Duncan is a castellan .I thought that was the same assignment .

Comments

• This is pure speculation/guess, but maybe the sentinel is someone who always follows the lord to be in his council. You know when the lord leaves for war the sentinel leaves with him while the castellan stays to hold the castle. Then again it's possible for Duncan to hold both of these titles so I don't how it would work then. shrugs

• I think the sentinel is just a 'I value your opinion most' job position. No real duties come with it aside from what they already do.

• Duncan is always leaving the castle though. He sucks at his job lol.

• Yes, like the other posters said.

When Lord Whitehill wanted to talk to the Lord of Ironrath, Talia said: "Can't he speak to Duncan, he is the castellan." So I guess in ASOIAF it's comparable to the historical meaning - a supervisor, a steward, who is in charge, when the lord is not around.

And about the sentinel - the maester explains it in episode one - something like your chief advisor. It seems to be some Ironrath exclusive tradition, never heard it for other Houses. But I'm not an attentive reader.

• Yeah, the Maester says the Lord's Sentinel is a Forrester tradition. I don't think any other houses do it.

rousseau posted: »

Yes, like the other posters said. When Lord Whitehill wanted to talk to the Lord of Ironrath, Talia said: "Can't he speak to Duncan, he i

• Castellan I believe is the representative of the House, when a Lord is not available. This is how it would make sense for Duncan to deliver House Forrester shields and for Talia to suggest he speaks to Ludd Whitehill, as she may feel like Ethan isn't officially "Lord" yet.

Sentinel is a personal assistant to a Lord, not like a squire. They give orders, they don't fetch things and they are there as personal advisor for the Lord, away from the small council.

• ArthurVArthurV Telltale Alumni

Castellan is the "substitute lord" when the true lord is at war or on a diplomatic mission. When Lord Forrester heads south, Duncan serves as his representative at Ironrath. Ramsay Snow is his father's castellan when Roose leaves the Dreadfort.

The Sentinel is a Forrester-exclusive title tantamount to chief advisor, prime minister, grand vizier, Hand of the King... so basically the most powerful person after the lord.

• Thanks for the clarification, Arthur. :)

ArthurV posted: »

Castellan is the "substitute lord" when the true lord is at war or on a diplomatic mission. When Lord Forrester heads south, Duncan serves a

• so two representatives at the same time, too many chefs can spoil the salad, you know

Castellan is the "substitute lord" when the true lord is at war or on a diplomatic mission. When Lord Forrester heads south, Duncan serves a

• Alt text

Fun Fact: This guy is a grand vizier :p

I wonder who chose Jafar, seriously?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.