Super early concept art of Rhys + Fiona + The Stranger

Not sure if this has been posted here before, but thought it was interesting...

All work by Derek Stratton for Telltale

Alt text

I love how this Rhys is like Jack by way of Johnny Bravo - you can just feel the douchieness radiating off him!

Alt text

Looks like e was the closest to our Rhys - I wish characters could change outfits every episode, as I'm seriously digging those suits.

Alt text

It's interesting that none of these designs really resemble Fiona's final looks - C looks much more like Sasha's!

Alt text

Hmm, non-masked Stranger... Does this mean he's exactly that? Someone completely unknown to us? (Also, our stranger definitely needs a robo-pet sidekick)!

Comments

• edited April 2015

Huh, this is really interesting.

But it makes me really happy we got what we got instead... not digging some of those designs.

• Out of all the things I was expecting to see, it was not a robot dog. Now I really want one! :( Even if it were to belong to the opposite side.

Alt text
    Alt text

• K9!

And yeah, it doesn't really feel like it would be something you'd see on Pandora (a busted-up Frankenstein-esque one made out of various different parts, maybe), but I could definitely see someone like Vasquez having a modern one like this, purely as a status symbol (though it must be hard to top a diamond pony...)

Out of all the things I was expecting to see, it was not a robot dog. Now I really want one! Even if it were to belong to the opposite side.

• What's funny is I actually had an idea for another mechromancer-esque character who has a combat robot-dog (called Wellard) who in my mind was basically like a smaller, robotic version of Bigby's final form. I think that would be so cool, since a lot of people liked the mechromancer class from BL2 :)

K9! And yeah, it doesn't really feel like it would be something you'd see on Pandora (a busted-up Frankenstein-esque one made out of vari

• D. kind of looks like Yvette, don't you think?

• Alt text

Out of all the things I was expecting to see, it was not a robot dog. Now I really want one! Even if it were to belong to the opposite side.

• I'm one of the only ones who didn't have the mechromancer dlc...

Alt text

What's funny is I actually had an idea for another mechromancer-esque character who has a combat robot-dog (called Wellard) who in my mind w

• Cheer up! I don't either :P But I'm planning to invest in it once I've completed a first playthrough of BL2 :)

I'm one of the only ones who didn't have the mechromancer dlc...

• I'm trying to complete BL:TPS right now. I have all the DLC there and I'm getting really invested.

Cheer up! I don't either :P But I'm planning to invest in it once I've completed a first playthrough of BL2

• Oh yeah, good spot (she even looks like she's about to sass someone over a free lunch)!

It's like Fiona's designs went on to birth all these other characters. And A looks very Gaige-y, while E kind of looks like Moxxi's mechanic look from TPS...

Lewsblake23 posted: »

D. kind of looks like Yvette, don't you think?

• edited April 2015

wow, they actually used all of his rough sketch designs. all of these looked amazing ❤ . ❤
    Rhys' neck has a tattoo here, explains why he got a chest tattoo in the present look of TFTB.

• First off very cool stuff. Second, that bandit in the first pic looks like he's in an extreme amount of pain, ouch!

• I like the suit for D (Rhys).

Also, I have the strangest feeling some of these references were recycled for other characters such as Yvette and Sasha.

• Perhaps they liked some of these concept pieces, though felt as if they didn't fit Fiona.. so, they used them with other characters. I mean, despite these being Fiona-concepts, it is pretty clear that they used some of them with our other beloved characters!

Oh yeah, good spot (she even looks like she's about to sass someone over a free lunch)! It's like Fiona's designs went on to birth all these other characters. And A looks very Gaige-y, while E kind of looks like Moxxi's mechanic look from TPS...

• Interesting. It seems like that they originally envisioned Rhys to be a more confident and muscular. His robot arm seem more organic rather than his more mechanical one. He also looks more like a fighter, but interestingly looking at a wanted poster of himself.

• Oh I totally thought he was just vainly looking at a like a stock profile thing and that was glamour photo/net worth lmao WHOOPS

My question is how did we get from these swagger happy gentlemen to awkward / doofy / being-punched-less-than-three-times-before-lunch-is-a-personal-failure Rhys??

Interesting. It seems like that they originally envisioned Rhys to be a more confident and muscular. His robot arm seem more organic rather

• He has the neck tattoo still in his design now though. Or did I misunderstand what you were saying?

Liscariot posted: »

wow, they actually used all of his rough sketch designs. all of these looked amazing ❤ . ❤ Rhys' neck has a tattoo here, explains why he got a chest tattoo in the present look of TFTB.

• edited April 2015

Honestly? Probably to break the cliché. He's a much more likable and sympathetic character if he's not the suave Hyperion douchebag one expects him to be. I mean sure, he can totally be a dick depending on your dialogue choices, but he never quite reaches Vasquez levels of self-importance.

Plus it makes him getting smacked around that much funnier. This poor guy is so out of his element you can't help but laugh and feel badly at the same time.

Oh I totally thought he was just vainly looking at a like a stock profile thing and that was glamour photo/net worth lmao WHOOPS My quest

• edited April 2015

Wait, neck tattoo that you're referring is the blue coloured tattoo that you can see behind the v-neck in the present? If you're referring to that, then yeah.

EDIT: OH MY GOD I DIDN'T REALIZE THE TATTOO THERE. I ONLY SAW THE BLUE ONES.

He has the neck tattoo still in his design now though. Or did I misunderstand what you were saying?

• Good point -- I'm glad they did. I feel like otherwise it would be too close to Jack. I haven't really gone through and done a true asshole Rhys play through yet, cause I start to feel bad if I'm mean to the crew :( The worst I've gone is indulging in some of Jack's whims to get his other dialogue.

SpaceGoat posted: »

Honestly? Probably to break the cliché. He's a much more likable and sympathetic character if he's not the suave Hyperion douchebag one expe

• Early Rhys looks a lot like Jack! I'm glad we got the lovable dork instead of this Pixar-esque macho man.

Side note, why doesn't Telltale do art books? I would pay for a nice quality art book with art from their previous games. (They might get into copyright trouble with Tales tho)

• Now that you mentioned it. The macho man aspect must have been given to Vasquez.

Early Rhys looks a lot like Jack! I'm glad we got the lovable dork instead of this Pixar-esque macho man. Side note, why doesn't Telltale

• I'm still trying to figure out if the blue/grey on his chest in the very beginning with the different outfit is actually a tattoo or if he's got more serious cybernetics, actually.

Liscariot posted: »

Wait, neck tattoo that you're referring is the blue coloured tattoo that you can see behind the v-neck in the present? If you're referring to that, then yeah. EDIT: OH MY GOD I DIDN'T REALIZE THE TATTOO THERE. I ONLY SAW THE BLUE ONES.

• Hmm that's a good theory though, we'll probably see it in the future episodes. :D

I'm still trying to figure out if the blue/grey on his chest in the very beginning with the different outfit is actually a tattoo or if he's got more serious cybernetics, actually.

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

20 more concept images where uploaded by someone called Molly Maloney http://mollymaloney.blogspot.co.uk/

I also added a spoiler tag as too many images could cause some mobile browsers to slow down.

Alt text

Alt text

Alt text

Alt text

Alt text

Alt text

Alt text

Alt text

Alt text

Alt text

Alt text

Alt text

Alt text

Alt text

Alt text

Alt text

Alt text

Alt text

Alt text

Alt text

• Oh wow these are amazing. I love that stun button picture. Rhys looks so cute.

What the..Fiona with a violin.. ?

• I want to see Fiona play the violin!

• Molly, these are jaw-dropping pieces of art. The lights, the colours, the style... can I say they're better even than the final 3d game?

Need higher resolution for multi-desktop-wallpaper action. NEEEED.

:D

• Gotta love that Rhys.

Alt text

• Love this one. :)

Pipas posted: »

Gotta love that Rhys.

• edited April 2015

Just noticed that Sasha has a tattoo there. She doesn't have it in the game.

Alt text

• Holy...

These are all PHENOMENAL!!!

The backgrounds are just stunning.

As @Corbeau said, Telltale really does need to do an art book.

• I could not agree more!

Molly, these are jaw-dropping pieces of art. The lights, the colours, the style... can I say they're better even than the final 3d game? Need higher resolution for multi-desktop-wallpaper action. NEEEED.

• In my mind Derek's concept art is how Rhys sees himself (the suave Hyperion douchebag), but in reality Molly's is what he's really like (the bumbling, yet adorable, fool).

Gotta love that Rhys.

• You just described why Rhys is so awesome character. Plus we already have Handsome Jack as Hyperion douchebag we don't need a copy.

In my mind Derek's concept art is how Rhys sees himself (the suave Hyperion douchebag), but in reality Molly's is what he's really like (the bumbling, yet adorable, fool).

• Nice violin Fiona... .-.

• What if she were to get one later in the game, then her and Rhys will both have tattoos, you know what that means. Rhysha confirmed.

Just noticed that Sasha has a tattoo there. She doesn't have it in the game.

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator

"Hodunk Junk", interesting.

• Yes! Thank you, I love you so much arghhhhh <33333

• guess they created teh stranger because they wanted a charcter who is not exactly an enemy and not exactly a friend to gives you the atmosphire of pandora

Sign in to comment in this discussion.