Is there somthing we, the fans, can do to prevent piracy of TOMI?

edited July 2009 in Tales of Monkey Island
Hi there:)

I just wonder if there is anything we can do to minimize illigal copying of this game? Just tell me, I'll do anything!

I must admit, I do some illigal downloading myself, but I really really want telltales and Lucasarts to earn as much money on this as possible. A lot of money means TOMI 2 and MI2 special edition:)

Comments

• edited July 2009
    knit your brows, shake your head, and wag your finger at them.... its pretty effective.
  • edited July 2009
    Haha:)
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    The best thing you can do to prevent pirating the game is buying the game :)
  • edited July 2009
    And is there anything we can do against piracy IN the game?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    Piracy within the game is wholly condoned and encouraged. Please seize ships, steal everything you can find, and try to temporarily ruin as many lives as you can in the process.
  • edited July 2009
    Yay! :)
  • edited July 2009
    At least being a pirate at least gives Guybrush an excuse for being a kleptomaniac! Same can't be said for most adventure game protagonists!
  • edited July 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    The best thing you can do to prevent pirating the game is buying the game :)

Buying the game woudn't set the right tone for playing a pirate game, would it?

just kidding, already pre-ordered it, and I will buy it for the Wii also if I like the first episode.
  • edited July 2009
    Sphaa wrote: »
    Hey, after all you ARE downloading the game...

HEY, Telltale should change its looks to that of a Warez-site (which I don't know how it looks) for the launch, so that we feel like real pirates when we download the game :cool:
  • edited July 2009
    HEY, Telltale should change its looks to that of a Warez-site (which I don't know how it looks) for the launch, so that we feel like real pirates when we download the game :cool:

With naked ad banners and viruses loaded into the software?
  • edited July 2009
    Hey, after all you ARE downloading the game...

Yeah!

There should be a big button with the text "to STEAL tomi push here", and under the button you should write, in small letters "it only cost 8,95"
  • edited July 2009
    Yeah the game is free but having the pleasure of clicking the download button is not.
  • edited July 2009
    Irishmile wrote: »
    With naked ad banners and viruses loaded into the software?

virus off course not, but the chicks maybe... :D:D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • edited July 2009
    I'm just throwing an ideea on the table: What if we just announce the companies about the location of pirated versions of the two games? Would that work?
    Can TellTale or LucasArts do anything legal about it? (illegal version includes killing and hiding the body of the person that pirated the game... while giving him a complimentary MI badge)
    Is there a WebPolice? :)
    Or we could just find a good hacker and ask him to delete the content of certain ...locations.
  • edited July 2009
    Is it okay to pirate the game within the game?
  • edited July 2009
    virus off course not, but the chicks maybe... :D:D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

56277100.jpg
    Image by Armakuni, color by Welshy
  • edited July 2009
    How about guilt and shame? That's part of what's kept me from illegally downloading any Telltale games.

And WOW it's strange to see Elaine like that.
  • edited July 2009
    Buy copies as gifts for friends?
  • edited July 2009
    Jexxer wrote: »
    How about guilt and shame? That's part of what's kept me from illegally downloading any Telltale games.

And WOW it's strange to see Elaine like that.

Yeah them actually logging in and chatting with us kind of puts a little guilt in you if you DL the game
  • edited July 2009
    My strategy: I bought it and told everyone else to do the same with offering the option of blaming me afterwards. TTG, can you hear me? Now don't ruin my life!
  • edited July 2009
    I am planning on reporting every rapidshare / megaupload etc link as soon as I see them. They remove illegal content when requested dont they?

Not that I ever go to sites that have those kind of links, of course.
  • edited July 2009

Yeah... TBH, Telltale have kind of backed themselves into a corner on this one.

They can't REALLY condemn piracy emphatically and still encourage us to buy the game, can they? :D

We could always buy it and then get it again from The Pirate Bay for strange piratey thrills :rolleyes:
    I'm just throwing an ideea on the table: What if we just announce the companies about the location of pirated versions of the two games? Would that work?.

What is this I don't even...
    I am planning on reporting every rapidshare / megaupload etc link as soon as I see them. They remove illegal content when requested dont they?

Not that I ever go to sites that have those kind of links, of course.

Waste of time. Everyone uses torrents now anyway.
  • edited July 2009
    Waste of time. Everyone uses torrents now anyway.

No they don't... some much prefer direct downloads. Much quicker. Have a newly released movie / TV show in under 5 mins.
  • edited July 2009
    56277100.jpg
    Image by Armakuni, color by Welshy

I'm standing on my feet clapping madly!! :D:D:D

Back to the topic: I spread the news among my friends anytime a new game was coming, told them how good they are each time I played them, remarked to them the importance of supporting the makers of such a worthy games :)
  • edited July 2009

I must admit, I do some illigal downloading myself, but ...

YOU are a strange, and bewildered person. stop talking to me. i'm getting afraid.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Hi there:)

I just wonder if there is anything we can do to minimize illigal copying of this game? Just tell me, I'll do anything!

In that case i have an idea. Buy a copy of ToMI for every person in the world :D
  • edited July 2009
    aarrrrgg im gonna plunder a game shop!!
  • edited July 2009
    I used to be a vivid (illegal) downloader,
    you could name any game and I would probably have it.
    But since I started working in the game-development scene myself
    I realized how much work/effort/love developers put in their games.

Now I'm (extremely) proud that I can tell everybody I bought all my games.
    (Which makes everybody think I'm a complete idiot when they see my huge collection of games)

I try to convince all my friends/family to buy games, but they don't seem to realize all the work
    that has gone into developing the game, so I kinda gave up.
    (If it's games developed by companies like EA, I don't do much about it. When it's about smaller developers/Indy games
    I smack them until they buy it)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.