The dialogue tree

I just watched a small part of the upcoming game, and what annoys me most about it (apart from the rope not looking like a rope) is how the dialogue tree works.

For those who don't know, you get a set of short lines to choose from, and the character (Guybrush) will speak something related to the short line you choose.

As for me, the fun in picking any dialogue option is to actually know what you are going to say. More often than not, when I play a game with this simplified type of dialogue tree, I pick a choice I want, but when hearing the character speak it, it wasn't what I wanted him to say, or what I had in mind, and would rather have picked something else.

Is it only me who works this way?

Comments

• seanvanamanseanvanaman Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    Teppic wrote: »
    I just watched a small part of the upcoming game, and what annoys me most about it (apart from the rope not looking like a rope) is how the dialogue tree works.

For those who don't know, you get a set of short lines to choose from, and the character (Guybrush) will speak something related to the short line you choose.

As for me, the fun in picking any dialogue option is to actually know what you are going to say. More often than not, when I play a game with this simplified type of dialogue tree, I pick a choice I want, but when hearing the character speak it, I wasn't what I wanted him to say, or what I had in mind, and would rather have picked something else.

While we take your rope critique to heart, when it comes to dialog, each designer has his own style. Sometimes Guybrush will say what you select word for word, other times there's a little bit more flavor added in the delivery. This happens for multiple reasons and we're pretty vigilant about making the words match up to player intent. That being said, I think you'd be remiss to be discouraged without playing the game.

EDIT: I'd be happy to go more in depth about design choices in the pre-order forum ;)
  • edited July 2009
    Teppic wrote: »

As for me, the fun in picking any dialogue option is to actually know what you are going to say. More often than not, when I play a game with this simplified type of dialogue tree, I pick a choice I want, but when hearing the character speak it, it wasn't what I wanted him to say, or what I had in mind, and would rather have picked something else.

For many jokes, the humor is both in the delivery and the words themselves, and if you have the ability to read the line in its entirety and exact form before it's delivered, you've taken away some of the humor. Yeah, sometimes there is the feeling of "I wish I had picked choice B instead of choice A beforehand" but a good designer gives the player to choose all options so that no lines are missed.
  • HoboStewHoboStew Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    I dunno I kind of like it. To me it feels like Guybrush is there waiting for me to tell him what to say and if he feels like what I tell him to say is inappropriate he changes it. Sort of like I am the writer and he is the actor who is free to ad-lib. I almost want the writers to exploit that further and have REALLY inappropriate things to say, and guybrush just sorta goes "nah I'm not saying that" and continues on. Then again I am working on about 5 hours sleep so don't take anything I say too seriously.
  • edited July 2009
    HoboStew wrote: »
    I dunno I kind of like it. To me it feels like Guybrush is there waiting for me to tell him what to say and if he feels like what I tell him to say is inappropriate he changes it. Sort of like I am the writer and he is the actor who is free to ad-lib. I almost want the writers to exploit that further and have REALLY inappropriate things to say, and guybrush just sorta goes "nah I'm not saying that" and continues on. Then again I am working on about 5 hours sleep so don't take anything I say too seriously.
    Reminds me of CMI when the Voodoo Lady asks Guybrush if he wants to see pictures of her kids. The options are like extreme and over the top but he'll only say "...perhaps later." I found it funny.
  • edited July 2009
    I love that in a Monkey Island game, definitely do it for this one guys! :)
  • edited July 2009
    It's another thing that makes Monkey Island Monkey Island IMO. It reinforces the idea that Guybrush is aware of the fact he's in an adventure game - something that I always found really funny.

I hope the technique is used often!
  • edited July 2009
    Maybe we could have a lucasarts phone line and get told you need to talk to telltale? loved that in MI2
Sign in to comment in this discussion.