Monkey Combat isn't that bad...

Just got finished playing EFMI again and I must say that I actually kind of enjoyed Monkey Combat. I'm not saying it's the highlight of the game or anything, but it can be somewhat fun if you have the patience. Anyone agree?

Comments

• edited July 2009
    I don't really like it, but it is getting an unproportional amount of hate.
  • edited July 2009
    I have to admit that I have only played EfMI twice and each time I gave up at the Monkey combat stage, because I find it to be tedious in the extreme. Insult sword fighting is fun and funny, where monkey combat is neither. I don't care for fighting games at all though, so the parody is lost on me.
  • edited July 2009
    When i replayed it, it took me a while, i had to write down what beats what and all the combonations to move from one stance to another, took quite a while but it wasnt actually that bad.
  • edited July 2009
    I feel a sudden urge to burn, destroy and kill. I dont know what was it, but i feel like i have an adrenaline rush just by reading this topic. Some1 has to pay!!!!!!!!!
  • edited July 2009
    It was a little (well, maybe a bit more) annoying, but it wasn't that baaaad.

I think it helps that I was "traumatized" by some of the arcade sequences in Simon 3D so much... (Damn carnival ducks!) so Monkey Kombat doesn't hurt.

Last replay of the game I did it quite fast.
  • edited July 2009
    I don't have a problem with Monkey Kombat in and of itself, it's pretty simple if you write everything down. The only thing that really annoyed me was the battle with JoJo Jr. He gets the first move and therefore it's really difficult to beat him (at least it was for me) because I was always two bananas behind him. But oh well, I got through it.
  • edited July 2009
    Eduardo wrote: »
    I think it helps that I was "traumatized" by some of the arcade sequences in Simon 3D so much... (Damn carnival ducks!)

Those ducks need to DIE. In fact, that whole section of the game needs to DIE. PAINFULLY.
  • edited July 2009
    The Monkey Combat thing isn't exactly bad, it's just like the rest of the game; it can't hold a candle to the first three.

Both of the insult sword fighting games were a lot of fun, and ended juuuuuust before you got sick to death of it all. Monkey combat isn't quite as fun, and it doesn't have the comedic value to hold your attention through the whole thing.
  • edited July 2009
    I agree, it wasn't that bad. And apparently, you can lead the monkeys to different areas of the island with a banana, so you can fight in front of different backdrops. I haven't tried it myself though... hmm... maybe it's time to replay EMI. :p
  • edited July 2009
    I also didn't mind it that much
    It went on too long maybe, but storywise I liked it because it was supposed to be some sort of primal version of the Insult Swordfighting
  • edited July 2009
    I'm replaying EMI right now, and I must honestly say that it is the most underrated game out of the four MI games.

That said.. I can't say that I'm looking forward to the Monkey Combat segments though! :P
  • edited July 2009
    bringmonkeykombat.jpg
  • edited July 2009
    I just finished EMI again and for some reason Monkey Kombat was easier then I remember, I still think it sucks
  • edited July 2009
    Monkey Combat is the antichrist in gaming form!!!!!
  • edited July 2009
    personally, I don't think MK is that bad. It's a lot worse!!!
    And the same goes for EFMI.

In my little world there are only three games in the Monkey Island series. Secret of, Lechucks revange and Curse of..... Soon there will be three games and five episodes:)
  • edited July 2009
    Having just finished the game again, I'd have to agree, Monkey Combat is not nearly as bad as I remember. I think I only had to fight like four monkeys to figure out all the combos, I remembered it being a lot worse. Actually, I don't think the game itself is really deserving of all the crap that so many fans give it. I liked it much better on the recent replay.
  • edited July 2009
    I am on the monkey kombat segment of the game now.. I am hating it.. I haven't played it for years but boy is it tedious and annoying. There is no chance looking at a walkthrough either as it is random every time.
  • edited July 2009
    Oh it's that bad

Do pirates drink grog?
  • edited July 2009
    The only thing that I dislike about Monkey Kombat is that it is an example of how, thematically, EfMI seemed a little off. There have always been contemporary references in the Monkey Island games, but such an overt reference to Mortal Kombat seemed out of place - it's the wrong sort of contemporary reference, it that makes any sort of sense. I can see how it kind of works - how it fits into the whole "alluding to things that you might find at a theme park" approach - but, oh, I dunno, it (in combination with various other references in the game) seemed like a step too far.
  • edited July 2009
    To me, Monkey Combat seems like it is a puzzle. A logical puzzle. In a puzzle game. Seems like a fit to me.
  • edited July 2009
    It didn't bother me, honestly. I'm not sure why it's loathed so much.
  • edited July 2009
    bringmonkeykombat.jpg

:p Did you make that?
  • edited July 2009
    I stopped playing at Monkey Kombat again for the reason that it is long and tedious. I stormed through the game quickly by memory up to that point. I guess Monkey Kombat was made so the game feels new each time, but really, to me, it just puts me off it, I've only worked it out twice, I can't be arsed to sit there again fighting many monkeys to find out what beats what and what combo this time. Basically, when winning a Sword Fight, I felt happy that I won it, when winning at Monkey Kombat, I just felt "Thank F**k that's over" because it's just long and over stays its Welcome and not actually that good to me!
  • edited July 2009
    I liked it as well. I mean no biggie. Anyeone played WoW lol? That's a grind. This is just, meh, doesn't even take an hour.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.