Death in TMI?

Some people have started assuming that this game won't have the amount of darkness as MI2 and will be more like CMI in all it's cartooniness... BUT! After reading this argument, it just made me realise just how much death there IS in CMI.

Now I'm sure TMI isn't all cute and cuddly and will have a significant amount of death, just like all the previous Monkey Island games. But maybe Telltale should just reassure these people that doubt this, so I don't have to keep reading their false assumptions ;)

Comments

• edited July 2009
    That's cool. I don't see why we need to make too many assumptions right now - after all the first episode is almost here then we can find out for sure!

It's fun to imagine what the series may or may not be like and discuss our ideas, but as long as people remember that these are only predictions and not necessarily the truth then it's all good.
  • edited July 2009
    Well, that "Some material may not be suitable for children" thing might mean something... i dunno.
  • edited July 2009
    Scrawffler wrote: »
    after all the first episode is almost here then we can find out for sure!

Well... not necessarily in the first episode. I mean I don't expect death in every episode (although that would be pretty sweet) KILL OFF ELAINE! :cool:

Just saying, if there isn't something people want, in the first episode, don't assume it won't come later on!
  • edited July 2009
    Well if they keep LeChuck the same as in previous games, which they said they did, then he will probably torture and murder mass amounts of people. It would be interesting if a main character, other than LeChuck, was killed. All the people who are killed are usually random people or villains.
  • edited July 2009
    Thought this was a topic about actually being able to die which im against after COMI because of what Mort said apparently you can die in SOMI if you stay underwater with the idol for 10 minutes is that true?

Sorry back on topic
    I think it needs a fair amoutn gradually spread across the series or maybe all near the end but i dont think its really a neccessity of a monkey island game.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Well, I'd even say it's finally time to kill off LeChuck once and for all. That would be the shocker. He can't be the villain forever! :D
  • edited July 2009
    ^Aww... But a part of me REALLY likes LeChuck...Maybe there's a way for the story to get to closure without killing LeChuck?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    If you like death, how would you like if Guybrush died if you made a wrong move, as in some Sierra games back then? :D
  • edited July 2009
    DjNDB wrote: »
    If you like death, how would you like if Guybrush died if you made a wrong move, as in some Sierra games back then? :D

*shudder*

that's the main thing that puts me off most Sierra adventures - took me ages to get through Police Quest 1 because I didn't know proper police procedure (like having to walk around your car before you get in it everytime - if you don't it's game over).
  • edited July 2009
    The deaths in Space Quest were comic gold though, mostly thanks to the narrator rubbing it in. "Thanks for playing Space Quest. As usual, you've been a real pile."

Anyway, this is rated E for Everyone. There's your answer.
  • edited July 2009
    all the monkey islands have had death and darkness. except EMI i cant really remember any in that. im sure there will be some sort of hillarious form of death in it.
  • edited July 2009
    jhuddy wrote: »
    all the monkey islands have had death and darkness. except EMI i cant really remember any in that. im sure there will be some sort of hillarious form of death in it.

You get to shoot yourself and cause a paradox XD
  • edited July 2009
    EMI had some disturbing stories though; like how LeChuck killed that priest by ripping his pancreas out. There were also numerous skulls from people pegnose murdered in his booty showcase room.
  • edited July 2009
    Scapetti wrote: »
    You get to shoot yourself and cause a paradox XD

haha oh yeah! i just havnt played that one as much so i dont remember.
  • edited July 2009
    Ozzie Mandril gets killed also, (and thank god for that)
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited July 2009
    DjNDB wrote: »

Ah, the games these days... ;)

As LEC was actually doing something new back then by immortalizing the main character, it was of course referenced at. There were very fine parodies of these game mechanics in SoMI and CMI. Nowadays, not being able to die is an industry standard - hence less references in parodies would be encountered.
  • edited July 2009
    Ignatius wrote: »
    Ozzie Mandril gets killed also, (and thank god for that)

Just to let you know, Australians DO NOT talk or sound like Ozzie Mandril.
  • edited July 2009
    prizna wrote: »

Oooh yes you do, the lot of you! And you look like him.
  • edited July 2009
    Let's put another shrimp on the barbie!
  • edited July 2009
    We dont even use the word "shrimp" we use "prawn"
  • edited July 2009
    So how do you explain the way they talk on Neighbors or Home and Away?
  • edited July 2009
    Marduk wrote: »
    So how do you explain the way they talk on Neighbors or Home and Away?

We dont have as strong an accent as Ozzie Mandril, and we don't use the sayings Ozzie does.
  • edited July 2009
    Scapetti wrote: »
    Let's put another shrimp on the barbie!
    We dont even use the word "shrimp" we use "prawn"

Which reminds me of what I've read about the origin of the above phrase. In tourism commercials Paul Hogan used the word 'shrimp' so that the phrase would be better understood by Americans (where I believe shrimp is the more common name than prawn).

This is all despite the fact that they are two different (but very similar) decapods.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.