Steve Purcell Tales of MI DVD art teaser

David EDavid E Telltale Alumni
edited July 2009 in Tales of Monkey Island
Steve Purcell, the creator of Sam & Max and a wealth of Monkey Island-related artwork (including the original box art paintings for the first two Monkey Island games) has sent over some teaser photos of the exclusive Collector's DVD slipcase for Tales of Monkey Island (for folks that pre-order the game).

underpaint-sm.jpg
Steve working on the underpainting.

elaine-detail-sm.jpg
Elaine detail.

To get this exclusive artwork, make sure to get Tales of Monkey Island before July 7!

Comments

• edited July 2009
    Saw this on Facebook. Looks sweeeeeet!
  • edited July 2009
    I think this is one of the things that has me the most excited about the game, surprisingly. Can't wait to see the finished product.
  • edited July 2009
    I was skeptical of the graphics (until I saw the gameplay trailer, now I feel fine) but I always knew that the art for the box would be freaking awesome.

This art was the sole reason I preordered. Woo!

Looking forward to it.
  • edited July 2009
    Looks great, can't wait to see the finished design.
  • edited July 2009
    I'm kinda tempted to pre-order again.
  • edited July 2009
    PariahKing wrote: »
    I'm kinda tempted to pre-order again.

I actually did, but I sent it as a gift for a friend but WILL EVENTUALLY steal his DVD too, so I can have 2
  • edited July 2009
    I ordered 3 :p
  • edited July 2009
    Cool, thanks for sharing. I was looking forward to get a sneak peak on his blog.

Now isn't it interesting how a 2D painting causes people buying a 3D game? Imagine the whole game would come with such graphics.
  • edited July 2009
    Looking great! Can't wait to see how it turns out.
  • edited July 2009
    his desk is.... interesting
  • edited July 2009
    Exciting! Pre-ordered mine a few days back, and glad I did! :D

Cool desk too. Especially the monkey head smoking a cigarette.
  • edited July 2009
    Talking Monke Island covers, wasn't the cover for Escape from Monkey Island drawn rather than being prerendered 3D?
  • edited July 2009
    Talking Monke Island covers, wasn't the cover for Escape from Monkey Island drawn rather than being prerendered 3D?

It was.

mi4preva300.jpg
  • edited July 2009
    Looks awesome so far can't wait to see the final version of it, lets hope it has the same impact that the coverarts for the first 2 MI games had.
  • edited July 2009
    Looks awesome so far can't wait to see the final version of it, lets hope it has the same impact that the coverarts for the first 2 MI games had.

i'm sure it will. love it! :D
  • edited July 2009
    Marty wrote: »
    his desk is.... interesting

Just what one might expect from them crazy "creative types."

The real question is... what's he watching on his little Magnavox TV? Surely it's something to inspire him. Can anyone tell what it is?
  • edited July 2009
    Oh, I was hoping for a third "realistic" art-style cover, I love those :(

But other than that, what it's there looks pretty nice. Hopefully we'll see it soon :D
  • edited July 2009
    Did anyone really notice how bad the PS2 cover of EMI was? I was looking at it and was flabbergasted (note one on right)
    boxartMI4-PS2-front.jpg

I mean, who painted the right one? It has bad photoshop job written all over it!

The one on the left, now that's a different story!

^^ Thanks for posting some teaser stuff, I know anything Purcell does is magic.
  • edited July 2009
    yhea the ps2 cover for EMI looked like a fanart from a 7 year old. And not one of those talented 7 year olds, either.
  • edited July 2009
    The NTSC PS2 cover would have been better than the PC / PAL-PS2 version if it was drawn properly. At least it continues the tradition of the first three MI games where the cover is an action-focused piece of art, depictiong something that does not really happen in the game. The PC cover is just a Star Wars-like collage of characters from the game.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.