How many days does it take Malcolm to reach Yunkai from Westeros?

How many days eh? It takes 3 months in the books but what about the game?

Comments

• Well in the books it takes 3 months, not sure about the game.

Pipas posted: »

As many as the plot demands.

• edited May 2015

As many as the plot demands.

• He enjoyed a first-class seat on the plane to Yunkai. With wines, good food and awesome high-quality movies.

In all honesty, I don't know. It doesn't really bother me though.

• That's a good question. Not to mention that in this case for "Essos" we mean Yunkai which is way further from the North than other cities like Braavos or Pentos.

• Why does it matter?

• I believe Talia mentions it was a week since Ethan died to Rodrik, so it only took him a week. Seems legit.

• Well they did buy the rights from HBO so they probably got the rights for Littlfinger Airlines as part of the package

Honestly it's hard to give the show(and the game) a pass on sloppy writing...And no, I don't buy the "it moves the plot" cheap excuse, it's like saying "it was the force" to explain every bullshit George Lucas wrote in the prequels

• There is only one explanation.Malcolm is a dragon rider.

• I think the question should be how many fucks do people give

It's probably just sloppy writing

• King Robert took 1 month from King's Landing to Winterfell (with his army, carriages, etc... let's say he would have made it in about 2 weeks travelling alone):

Alt text

There's much more distance between Ironrath and Yunkai... so no idea.

• Plot twist!

Geoor posted: »

There is only one explanation.Malcolm is a dragon rider.

• edited May 2015

Holes man, holes...

AgentZ46 posted: »

Why does it matter?

• Thanks Miklaus.

Miklaus posted: »

King Robert took 1 month from King's Landing to Winterfell (with his army, carriages, etc... let's say he would have made it in about 2 weeks travelling alone): There's much more distance between Ironrath and Yunkai... so no idea.

• Alt text

Upshaw posted: »

Well they did buy the rights from HBO so they probably got the rights for Littlfinger Airlines as part of the package Honestly it's hard

• Alt text

Geoor posted: »

There is only one explanation.Malcolm is a dragon rider.

• I've thought about this before - imagine if at the end of Asher's story we find out it took place 3 to 4 months after the other three POVs.

• And then when Asher arrives at Westeros everyone is already dead. Sounds fun.

JakeSt123 posted: »

I've thought about this before - imagine if at the end of Asher's story we find out it took place 3 to 4 months after the other three POVs.

• I imagine he sailed there by ship. Probably a smaller ship... which would likely move at like 40ish miles per hour(faster with a really convenient wind)... so what it boils down to is just... how far is Yunkai really?

• edited May 2015

Fold that over into a cylinder and they're closer than they look. Planets aren't flat like maps.

If he took an army in 1 month he probably could have made it alone in 1 week or less if speed was a concern.

King Robert took 1 month from King's Landing to Winterfell (with his army, carriages, etc... let's say he would have made it in about 2 weeks travelling alone): There's much more distance between Ironrath and Yunkai... so no idea.

• If the Wall to King's Landing is 400 leagues (right?) I would hazard a guess that it's like 900 leagues.

Ryanoo posted: »

I imagine he sailed there by ship. Probably a smaller ship... which would likely move at like 40ish miles per hour(faster with a really convenient wind)... so what it boils down to is just... how far is Yunkai really?

• Even if their planet is shaped like a spheroid as Earth is, there's no way he didn't pass through the Narrow Sea, there are tons of uncharted places in the eastern part of Essos.
    I mean, the complete map of Essos should be something like this:

Alt text

BipedalP posted: »

Fold that over into a cylinder and they're closer than they look. Planets aren't flat like maps. If he took an army in 1 month he probably could have made it alone in 1 week or less if speed was a concern.

• So like 3,000 miles? Looks like Malcom discovered the secret to teleportation.

If the Wall to King's Landing is 400 leagues (right?) I would hazard a guess that it's like 900 leagues.

• Malcolm left Ironrath a couple of days after the Red Wedding - approximately the amount of days Gared needs to get from the Twins to Ironrath (on foot?). He arrives in Yunkai three days after it's liberation. In the chronology of the book chapters the liberation of Yunkai takes place before the Red Wedding but those events probably happen roughly at the same time. So Malcolm was very fast, but the POV storylines can't ... or let's say shouldn't be more than a few days apart.

I've thought about this before - imagine if at the end of Asher's story we find out it took place 3 to 4 months after the other three POVs.

• Alt text

• In that case it should have taken him at least a month to get there if they were in a hurry, 2-3 months would be more realistic.

Even if their planet is shaped like a spheroid as Earth is, there's no way he didn't pass through the Narrow Sea, there are tons of uncharted places in the eastern part of Essos. I mean, the complete map of Essos should be something like this:

• Actually it would be a month and a half in a hurry.

BipedalP posted: »

In that case it should have taken him at least a month to get there if they were in a hurry, 2-3 months would be more realistic.

• Petyr Baelish Airlines, best airlines since Aegon the Conquer's Dragon-liners

• So you're saying that Malcom is a wizard?

So like 3,000 miles? Looks like Malcom discovered the secret to teleportation.

• Yes. It's the only way.

TheCatWolf posted: »

So you're saying that Malcom is a wizard?

• edited May 2015

It's not a hole. We don't know the exact time between Episode One and Two.

Holes man, holes...

• The only other is him following R'hllor.

Yes. It's the only way.

• edited May 2015

Episode One: Iron from Ice takes place just after the Red Wedding, so around Season 3 Episode 10 since the RW was at the end of episode 9. By Episode 3 the Purple Wedding has happened, so sometime in the first three episodes of the game we've moved on from Season 3 to 4 in the TL since the PW is in Season 4 Episode 2. Season 3 takes place AT LEAST a week or so before season 4 begins, and I'd assume more. I'd also assume that The Lost Lords takes place in Season 4, so the time between episodes one and two is likely at least a week.

Edit: I forgot to include my main point: this gives Malcolm anywhere between a week and a month to reach Yunkai. If it was only a week, I'd call that a hole as well... but it is most likely way more than a week.

Edit edit: You also should take into account the geography of each nation. Unlike Westeros, Essos is a lot more flat landed, and assuming you have enough supplies to keep you going for a while, it's pretty much easy sailing from one side to the next. I mean, not the easiest but I think you know what I mean. Besides, Essos is made up of many city-states rather than an actual nation-state, so you're not really running into too much trouble or resistance provided you are wary of sellswords, bandits, etc.

• In any case, the suggested few months seem pretty short if you consider these are whole continents, bigger than Europe. Then again it IS fantasy, and even Robert with baggage and troops went to Winterfell in about a single month, although he did use some of the best roads & secure trade routes in Westeros to do so.

GRRM confirmed that Westeros is roughly the size of South America, look at the map of Essos which is even larger with that in mind. There is a region East of Yunkai that looks a bit like India and the R'hllor religion originates from there but is still barely known and is considered a far away place. I don't take scaling measures now but I assume the length of whole Essos is about as twice as long as our world's Eurasia from Spain to Korea.

I find the short travel times unrealistic to be honest, but at the same time I don't care much unless travel time becomes really important for the plot (let's say for invasion and resupply reasons)

Alt text

That's a good question. Not to mention that in this case for "Essos" we mean Yunkai which is way further from the North than other cities like Braavos or Pentos.

• Almost as long as it takes for the Frey sort all those corpses at the Twins, which would take a while.

• edited May 2015

You're mixing book and show canon here... In the show it took him a month, in the books it's never mentioned how long it took them to get from KL to Winterfell and vice versa but what we do know is that it takes around 20-25 days(!) to get from Winterfell to Castle Black so it's a damn long journey to the capital

joriandrake posted: »

In any case, the suggested few months seem pretty short if you consider these are whole continents, bigger than Europe. Then again it IS fan

• That would actually be really interesting. Sort of like Memento.

• Actually, we don't really know how much time passed between Ethan's death and Rodrik's return. The guy driving the corpse cart complains that the Forresters live so far away, so it may have taken him roughly the same amount of time to reach Ironrath that it took Malcolm to reach Yunkai.

Although, one thing I'm interested in, how does Malcolm know to find Asher in Yunkai. Clearly Asher traveled a lot in Essos, so how did he pin him down?

• We do know how long it takes, since Gared left the same place on foot. Hence the actual time is the time it took to figure out who's who.

Asher has a reputation in Slaver's Bay, and the major cities can be reached in a day or two.

Actually, we don't really know how much time passed between Ethan's death and Rodrik's return. The guy driving the corpse cart complains tha

Sign in to comment in this discussion.