Time Travel?

I was thinking far too hard about Monkey Island this morning and I came to a revelation. You know that part in EfMI
where Herman Toothrot turns out to be Grandpa Marley and all the plotholes it created without Elaine being a decade older than Guybrush/or LeChuck being... you know? Maybe the whirlpool that Ozzie Mandrill pushed Grandpa Marley into could be a magical time-defying whirlpool dumped him 20 years in the past on Melee Island!

How 'bout it? Guys? Guys?

Comments

• edited July 2009
    i dont understand the plot hole. just because ozzy pushed herman into a whirlpool all the sudden nothing makes sense? what's so devastating?
  • edited July 2009
    Oh, sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant that if Ozzie pushed Herman (Horatio Marley) into a whirlpool before he appeared on Monkey Island, it would have happened around twenty years before EfMI. However, before that, LeChuck had already asked Elaine to marry him. At that point (according to some dialouge choices) Guybrush would have been very young, or not even born yet. So the possiblities are that Elaine is a few decades older than Guybrush, LeChuck's a pedophile, erm... never mind. ... OR Ozzie pushed Herman into the whirlpool quite recently and the whirlpool sent Herman back in time.
  • edited July 2009
    Hey, I like that! I for one shall consider this matter fixed. :)
  • edited July 2009
    just because ozzy pushed herman into a whirlpool doesn't mean it's the SAME whirlpool that sent herman to monkey island, does it?

i guess i dont understand the timeline (it's been a long time since i played mi4)
    so:

*lechuck asks elaine to marry him
    *lechuck causes herman to crash on monkey island
    *herman was on the island for (how many) years?
    *lechuck asks elaine to marry him again?
    *guybrush shows up and punks lechuck with rootbeer

so the problem is that OZZY is claiming that he caused herman to crash on MI?
  • edited July 2009
    StonkBad wrote: »
    Elaine is a few decades older than Guybrush, LeChuck's a pedophile, erm... never mind. ... OR Ozzie pushed Herman into the whirlpool quite recently and the whirlpool sent Herman back in time.

If Elaine is a few decades older than Guybrush than she would be at least 50 years old? what are you trying to state? I guess ill go with the last theory.?.:confused:
  • edited July 2009
    Duate wrote: »
    just because ozzy pushed herman into a whirlpool doesn't mean it's the SAME whirlpool that sent herman to monkey island, does it?

Precisely. Herman Toothrot was stranded on Monkey Island when he was the first mate on the Sea Monkey. EMI does not contradict this. The actual line from EMI regarding what happened after he escaped the whirlpool was that he ended up "on the other side of the world" with no knowledge of his true identity. "The other side of the world" from Australia could mean anywhere in the Caribbean, or in fact anywhere. The idea as I interpret it is that he lost his memory after washing up during the boat race and in fact spent time in the Tri-Island area as Herman Toothrot before ending up on Monkey Island for the first time.

Although it is a convoluted (and I still believe unnecessary) revelation, the Toothrot/Marley backstory actually does check out. People just assumed that EMI implies Herman wound up on Monkey Island after he was attacked by Ozzie in the boat race, when that's not what the game is saying.
  • edited July 2009
    Udvarnoky wrote: »
    Precisely. Herman Toothrot was stranded on Monkey Island when he was the first mate on the Sea Monkey. EMI does not contradict this. The actual line from EMI regarding what happened after he escaped the whirlpool was that he ended up "on the other side of the world" with no knowledge of his true identity. "The other side of the world" from Australia could mean anywhere in the Caribbean, or in fact anywhere. The idea as I interpret it is that he lost his memory after washing up during the boat race and in fact spent time in the Tri-Island area as Herman Toothrot before ending up on Monkey Island for the first time.
    i'll subscribe to this
  • edited July 2009
    Yes! I finally started a proper discussion!
  • edited July 2009
    Can't we just write off EMI as some form of drug-induced dream sequence? ^_^
  • edited July 2009
    Can't we just write off EMI as some form of drug-induced dream sequence? ^_^

I think a few of us already have lol
  • edited July 2009
    Monkey island and the island of LOST are the same. Look into your heart, ye know it to be true.
  • edited July 2009
    Maybe when Guybrush threw a coconut at Herman, he threw one back?
  • edited July 2009
    Hey, if you want to throw the Age discussion around even more you may as well throw in Minnie Goodsoup too! After all, if I remember correctly, after leaving Melee still as a Human, LeChuck went to Blood Island to try and find ways of funding his trip to Monkey Island, which he did by pretending to love Minnie just so he could steal the Diamond off the Wedding Ring and sell it to the Smugglers on Skull Island where LeChuck was able to fund a new ship and crew to travel to Monkey Island where they all died and became ghosts anyway!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.