Sam n Max

edited March 2006 in Sam & Max
I just read on Gamespot about telltalegames getting the rights to Sam and Max, and i think its the best news ever... Almost. I love Sam and Max, full throttle, dig, Universe, and Beneath a steel sky, and countless other point n click GUI Adventure games. But what i really want is Monkey Island, the game that for me started this obsession ive had since owning it on the amiga, and awaiting MI2 while my friend finished it on his IBM.

Is there any chance that Lucas Arts will get rid of it? And let a company interested in adventure games give it the attension it deserves. You would think that Monkey island would be a great money spinner now, what with pirates of the carrabian (The closest movie version of the game).

Also the website http://www.samandmax.com/ is brill. Cant wait.

EXTRA: I have read that Monkey Island will be on the Nintendo DS, does anybody know if this will this be a new game? Or if it is a port, maybe good sales will spark an interest for Lucas arts to give the franchise a boost.

Comments

• edited March 2006
    I have read that Monkey Island will be on the Nintendo DS, does anybody know if this will this be a new game? Or if it is a port, maybe good sales will spark an interest for Lucas arts to give the franchise a boost.

ScummVM was ported to DS. It's an emulator that allows you to play some old LucasArts games (including Secret of Monkey Island) on the DS, but it requires special hardware and some tweaking.

If this is what you're thinking of, LucasArts doesn't have anything to do with it. ScummVM is a fan project. I haven't heard anything about a Monkey Island game (new or ported) coming out for the DS. It would be cool, though. :)

As for the Monkey Island rights, I doubt Lucas is going to let go of those. Sam & Max belonged to Steve Purcell, not Lucas, because he created the characters before he worked for them. Monkey Island was developed by LucasArts employees, which means the rights belong to LucasArts.
  • edited March 2006
    It seems unlikely that Lucasarts will make another Monkey Island game because they are evil and spend most of their times sitting in flashy cars running over people while a legion of monkeys chained to type writers come up with different things to sign the Star Wars name to. For the same reason they will not release the Money Island license. Heaven forbid they should do something for their long time fans when there's an enormous market full of stupid people who will buy a game as long as it's attached to a popular license and has some shiny pictures on the back of the box.
  • edited March 2006
    I was just thinking of monkey island actually. After monkey 4 do we really need another MI game? LA isn't about to make another one anytime soon. The only thing that could fix MI is Ron and he already said he wasn't going to touch it anymore.
  • edited March 2006
    It's a shame really. Curse of Monkey Island was a good game I thought despite what everyone else says. Escape from Monkey Island was an okay game but nowhere near as good as the others. Somehow though, it just doesn't feel finished. Grim Fandango, when you saw the credits a rollin' and the train disappeared definitely felt finished but Monkey Island still seems like there should have been at least one more game. But it definitely needs Ron Gilbert at the helm and if he don't want to see it again there's not really anything anyone can do.
  • edited March 2006
    I don't know, The Curse of Monkey Island is a pretty widely praised game.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.