So telltale....on tuesday

How much bandwith will be available when TMI is released? Just curious - have you ordered extra upload capacity? And how much speed are we talking here?

I would imagine that there is going to be power on the pumps when you guys hit the release button :D

Oh goodie goodie 3 days!

Regards
Peter

Comments

• edited July 2009
    They had better be prepared...

Or there will be major WEBSITE FAIL :-).
  • TimTim
    edited July 2009
    I have this feeling Telltale has ordered about 2000 monkeys as backup. They'll be manually handling requests, transferring bits & bytes in Telltale's cellar, just in case the service breaks down. I sure hope they include a statement 'No monkeys were harmed (or forced to replace the network layer) during the making & distrubution of this game', or else Telltale might get a visit from the animal health patrol.
  • edited July 2009
    I'm gonna cry like a baby, if i can't download it right after i got the email...
  • edited July 2009
    Servers crashed at id software the day DOOM was released...and it clearly had no impact on the success of the game.
  • edited July 2009
    I think TTG will be prepared for all outcomes in this case with how popular a series like MI is so there shouldn't be any problems "touch wood".
  • edited July 2009
    natlinxz wrote: »
    Servers crashed at id software the day DOOM was released...and it clearly had no impact on the success of the game.

Ooh, I remember that.
  • edited July 2009
    It'd look good in a press release if demand was that heavy. >_>
  • edited July 2009
    ^Oooh, ToMI shouldn't really get publicity like that... Kids today, you know.
    Cool. But how do you kill people?
  • edited July 2009
    If I can wait 9 years, I can wait a little bit long for servers to uncrash it if happens.
  • edited July 2009
    Will it be launched exactly at 00:00 GMT 7th July?
    Or just at some random time on the 7th
  • TimTim
    edited July 2009
    Flapperbol wrote: »
    Will it be launched exactly at 00:00 GMT 7th July?
    Or just at some random time on the 7th

I think I read in either the private forum or some place else, that they normally aim for mid-day, but ultimately it's simply their call to give it a 'go' when they think it's done. Apparently some other TTG franchices & episodes varied in release times. I believe they kept their date-lines though *hops around happily*
  • edited July 2009
    I wouldn't automatically assume that Tales will be much more successful than their other games. It looks that way on the face of it, because of how busy the forums are so busy, but there are probably other factors involved in that -

for example, the average Wallace and Gromit fan may buy the game, but is probably statistically less likely to be the type to hang around on internet forums than an MI fan.

Also, while Sam and Max may have produced a lot of buzz, it was first announced when the company was much less established, and forum traffic was likely lower, so perhaps didn't experience quite so much of a spike as MI - I'm just guessing.

And perhaps a number of other reasons. It's easy look at the self-selecting bunch of monkey fanatics and think the game is going to be HUGE compared to what telltale has done in the past. But while it'll likely be successful like everything else, let's not just assume there is enough interest to make the servers fall over this time round, because that might be based on a flawed perception. I'd be interested to know what the genuine interest levels are compared to the other games.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    The guys we use for providing downloads are the same folks who provide bandwidth to Steam and Xbox Live Arcade, so they're good for it :)
  • edited July 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    The guys we use for providing downloads are the same folks who provide bandwidth to Steam and Xbox Live Arcade, so they're good for it :)
    This is really reassuring. Thanks Jake! :)
  • edited July 2009
    Oh man, oh man, I'm so excited!
  • edited July 2009

I dunno... Steam keeps dying on me every few 23hours or so. But that might just be steam. >_> :rolleyes:

And I expect the game to be released around 10am PST, since that'll give em time to wake up and handle any problems that might arise from releasing the game. ;)
  • edited July 2009
    It's good marketing if the servers go down.
  • edited July 2009

I think the OP was curious about some exact bandwidth figures (I know the post made me curious). Since TTG outsources the distribution, does that mean you don't know the exact figures?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    Ah, well I don't know if we have immediate access to that, or if we can put it out publicly anyway. Also what if it's embarassing? ;)
  • edited July 2009
    A solution could be to activate the download links early in the morning going by GMT, so most europeans will download it while americans are sleeping and not everybody at once which is more likely to collapse the servers. Plus, we don't have to wait until the evening so it's a win-win situation :P!
  • edited July 2009
    Also what if it's embarassing? ;)
    In that case you'll only prolong the uncertainty until Tuesday, when we'll all be embarassed the hard way... ;)

np: Kalbata - Solution (Soul Jazz Records Singles 2008-2009 (Disc 1))
  • edited July 2009
    Sure, but by Telltale's record, they'll clearly still be developing the game late into the evening :p:
Sign in to comment in this discussion.