Red Wedding. Bruh...

2»

Comments

• AWESOMEOAWESOMEO Banned
    edited May 2015

I think that people are blowing this event out of proportion. Before starting the show, I spoiled myself (yes, I'm a genius) about the red wedding and watched a video with reactions to the episode, and people were fucking crying, screaming and shit. I thought something horrible happened and really controversial happened there to make people react that way, I thought half the cast died or something. It's just Rob, Talisa (and her unborn child) and Catelyn. I thought George killed like half the cast or something, but it was just 3 characters... Maybe I just developed expectations because of that video -_-

Though it did change the tides of the war... And I have to say, I laughed when I saw what they did to Robb's body, but felt bad for Arya.

• edited May 2015

Note: I have read all the books, but only recently started with the show. and I haven't actually got to the Red Wedding there(am still on S2).
    I have, however, informed myself somewhat about the show's take of that part of the story.

I feel that the show really messes up Robb's arc. The "love story" with the foreign healer is a joke, It makes Robb look like a complete and utter fool who gets smitten with a foreigner and ignores Walder Frey's betrothal, but this plays out in a completely different way, for different reasons, and with a completely different character in the Book. Jeyne Westerling was no foreigner, and the two didn't randomly meet on the battlefield.

And why the heck would he bring her to the Twins? The book makes it clear that Robb is very wary of the Freys at that point, and loathe to insult him any further. He specifically keeps his new wife as far away from the Freys as possible. The Show has her there for what I can only imagine is tragedy's sake, but again it makes Robb look like a complete idiot, when he wasn't.

Roose Bolton and Walder Frey's reasons for betrayal are the same in both Show and Books, at least: jumping on the perceived winner's bandwagon and getting something out of it. The broken betrothal was just an excuse to approach Tywin, really.
    You'll notice that the Boltons have been named Wardens of the North and the Freys have been given Riverrun in exchange for their betrayal and pledging for King's Landing...also the Freys basically become opportunistic cockroaches from that point on: there's some everywhere, trying to win more favor and land from those who are losing both..

• IDK about the show, but in the book Renly says Robb can go on calling himself king as long as he swears fealty to Renly.

LukaszB posted: »

Renly refused to ally with Robb until Robb rejected proclaiming himself King of the North.

• KING OF THE NORTH!!.... until i go to my father and then ill burn winterfell and my dad will slaughter you all. king of the north, king of the north with a direwolf's head sewed to his body....

is this what you are refering to? this is the only time rob metions supporting stannis yet he never goes further than to mention it? i guess it could count to some people as 'support', but its not exactly offical

• Swearing fealty means he can't call himself King of the North, because since Renly would be king no one that swears fealty is a king.

IDK about the show, but in the book Renly says Robb can go on calling himself king as long as he swears fealty to Renly.

• I get it. What I did not get was why Catelyn reacted to the thing on Roose's arm. Unless I just missed or misremembered it, The sling on Roose's arm would not have alerted me to his betrayal. Did the show explain what it was beforehand?

with the whole rains of castermere business, the whole scene does play out a bit better in the books, but i think the show tries to make it

• I can only speak personally but I did not like the Lannisters outside of Tyrion. The Starks, in a way, were the protagnists of the show so I would root for Robb to avenge his father. But to be ambushed like that and be killed at a wedding was kind of fucked up.

AWESOMEO posted: »

I think that people are blowing this event out of proportion. Before starting the show, I spoiled myself (yes, I'm a genius) about the red w

• AWESOMEOAWESOMEO Banned
    edited May 2015

I really liked the Starks as well, it's just that how they cut his head off and put a dire wolf's head on it kind of made me chuckle. I hate the Lannisters (excluding Tyrion of course) too.

Yeah, it was fucked up... I wish I hadn't seen it coming though, really ruined for myself a good moment in the show.

pcharl01 posted: »

I can only speak personally but I did not like the Lannisters outside of Tyrion. The Starks, in a way, were the protagnists of the show so

• It was chainmail. Armor, in other words. Who wears armor hidden under their nice clothes at a wedding amongst purported allies? Someone who knows in advance that there's going to be bloodshed and prepared for it.

pcharl01 posted: »

I get it. What I did not get was why Catelyn reacted to the thing on Roose's arm. Unless I just missed or misremembered it, The sling on Roose's arm would not have alerted me to his betrayal. Did the show explain what it was beforehand?

• edited May 2015

Oh please. Book!Robb is even dumber (but then again he's a horny 15 year old, so that can be excused I guess). Jayne Westerling is not a foreigner, sure. She's from a family that are outright Lannister bannermen. Not only should he have been thinking they'd stab him in the back the second they could, there's good evidence that they did (lots of reasons to think they were in touch with Tywin the whole time, and that Jayne's mother was feeding her abortificent/contraceptive herbal recipes to insure no heir could come out of this whole thing. Plus the dire wolf hated them, which to me is evidence enough.).

Klionheart posted: »

Note: I have read all the books, but only recently started with the show. and I haven't actually got to the Red Wedding there(am still on S2

• edited May 2015

How can you really judge a 16 years old teen? he was wounded and under the influence of the poppy, not to mention heartbroken from the news of the death of his brothers by the hands of his so called "brother". Jeyne was there and once he deflowered her he did the only thing he could - he kept her honor above his, even though he knew how it'll fuck up his situation. He could have acted like it's no big deal and leave her but he didn't, and that's saying a lot about his character.

XDarkAngelX posted: »

Oh please. Book!Robb is even dumber (but then again he's a horny 15 year old, so that can be excused I guess). Jayne Westerling is not a for

• im fucked up too i love watching robb get stabbbed and catelyn gettin her throat slit. oh and frye's wife too....

also i like watching how they stab talisa, her reaction is too funny. im sorry but its not something i would imagine actually happening. her reation, at least i would think should be more painfull

I think that people are blowing this event out of proportion. Before starting the show, I spoiled myself (yes, I'm a genius) about the red w

• And why is that? Lords can swear fealty to lords, why could kings not do the same to kings?

Either way, Renly disagrees with you:
    "--If your son supports me as his father supported Robert, he’ll not find me ungenerous. I will gladly confirm him in all his lands, titles, and honors. He can rule in Winterfell as he pleases. He can even go on calling himself King in the North if he likes, so long as he bends the knee and does me homage as his overlord. King is only a word, but fealty, loyalty, service... those I must have.”

LukaszB posted: »

Swearing fealty means he can't call himself King of the North, because since Renly would be king no one that swears fealty is a king.

• Lords swear fealty to Lord Paramounts. Lord Paramounts swear fealty to Kings. Kings never swear fealty to anyone. That's simply how things go.

And why is that? Lords can swear fealty to lords, why could kings not do the same to kings? Either way, Renly disagrees with you: "--If

• Yeah, what was also funny was how when the episode ended, Catelyn just stood there for like 5 seconds, just waiting for the guard to come slit her throat, lmfao.

jamex1223 posted: »

im fucked up too i love watching robb get stabbbed and catelyn gettin her throat slit. oh and frye's wife too.... also i like watching ho

• lol yeah but i can se why. she lost her son so probably thought everything was gone, she probably thought her daughters were killed too.

Yeah, what was also funny was how when the episode ended, Catelyn just stood there for like 5 seconds, just waiting for the guard to come slit her throat, lmfao.

• Thanks for the explanation.

XDarkAngelX posted: »

It was chainmail. Armor, in other words. Who wears armor hidden under their nice clothes at a wedding amongst purported allies? Someone who knows in advance that there's going to be bloodshed and prepared for it.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.