In-game Map ?

Hi, everyone !

I have been looking through those forums for the answer, but after an hour, I've decided to give up and ask you monkey-loving fellows (nothing pejorative, here :o ) my little question instead :

does anyone know if we are getting an "in game map" with marked locations to move around different areas ?
or will the game be more like Wallace and Gromit and Sam&Max, where you only have a small selection of place and mysteries to resolve to open new locations ?

I know, this may sound as a dumb question, but maps in adventure games are something that I like, it makes the world somehow wider, even if there aren't many places to visit, and it somehow removes linear aspect of the game.

Im sorry if the question has already been asked (and it was probably asked before), but I really couldn't find it.

ps: the free episode given with the pre-order is a damn nice idea; never tried W&G before, and it's ... well, just like the original ! Awesome !

Comments

• edited July 2009
    I'm fairly certain that island maps will be in ToMI.
  • edited July 2009
    i also love nice in-game maps for clicking on locations. also, there are many types of such maps.

there are maps you can call at any time, or for instance, once you exit some location or at some other given time during the game. sometimes there could be too much locations to choose, or not that many. Newest Sherlock Holmes has a map where you always click on one location to go next, because you "have no business" at other locations. Even the game itself would tell you where you need to go next. Acontrary, older EA/Mythos Sherlock Holmes games had too many too choose from.

i know some games that could really benefit of that sort of in-game map, like Keepsake, which had a really tedious walking and running back and forth around the castle.

Monkey Island maps are sort of a trademark thing, and they were always nicely presented. Even the fourth one has good maps but with tedious moving around them. Lucre Island of Escape from Monkey Island is a nice example even it has no many locations

lucreisland.jpg

Also i love the travel maps with moving line in Indy style, it adds adventurous aspect, like that of a Monkey 2

What i would like to see in Tales is maybe mix of such maps, even i think we wont be traveling that much from island to island because of an episodic games. It would be nice to include mini-map for current island in similar manner like you call for the inventory. Dreamfall also was bad because of boring running back and forth, without giving player a choice so you need always to go the same routine to get from one to another point. Maybe its ok until you get to know the location for the first time, but once you visited it there should be a choice to go quickly there.
  • edited July 2009
    They did put in a sort of in game map in Strong Bad so it is fairly likely they will for this game considering every other Monkey Island game has it.

And yes I agree about the free episode, got W&G also and it is so much like the TV, they got Gromit's walk almost spot on XD
  • edited July 2009
    Scapetti wrote: »
    And yes I agree about the free episode, got W&G also and it is so much like the TV, they got Gromit's walk almost spot on XD

Yeah ! And those expressions with his eyes ... Real nice, I think Im going to get the full season while I wait for the second episode of ToMI.

Thanks for your replies ;)
  • edited July 2009
    lucreisland.jpg

Oh god the Lucre Island Map theme is back in my head!
  • edited July 2009
    I think someone said at some point there are maps, but I couldn't point you to the specific quote.
  • edited July 2009
    Anyone that has access to the Private Pirates Forum would know that there are indeed in-game maps in TMI.

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=142753&postcount=332
  • edited July 2009
    Yeah, it's got maps, implemented exactly like the old games. All the trademark elements are there, except a verb system (I know this has gradually been phased out of adventures, but I wouldn't mind a "Look" option).
  • edited July 2009
    I miss the "look" option too. Sometimes you would hear funny things that way.
  • edited July 2009
    Irishmile wrote: »
    I miss the "look" option too. Sometimes you would hear funny things that way.

Well, you can at least gaze upon your inventory. Check out the magnifying glass icon when the inventory pops up.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.