Do you think George RR Martin actually killed off _______ and do you think HBO will do the same?

Do you think George RR Martin actually killed off Jon Snow at the end of ADWD and do you think HBO will follow suit with the book? I think it would be interesting if Jon came back as a white walker trying to fight the control of the Lich. All I know is without Jon all hell will break loose between the widlings and watch.

Comments

• I don't really know. For example, when I read the final Theon's chapter in "A Clash of Kings", I thought he was indeed killed. I was rather surprised to see him alive and... not well, but still.

It's possible that Jon is still alive, but, it could unfold either way, knowing GRRM.

• I think he's dead but am expecting a revival. I have a theory about this involving Howland Reed and Stoneheart, but I think most people are expecting Melissandre to save him.

• I think Jon Snow didn't die at all or will be resurrected. Not sure but I'd say the meaning of this plot twist (or one of them at least) is to take Jon away from the Night's Watch.

• That'll be the series finale or episode 9 because, historically, episode 9 is usually when all the shocking shit happens

• I definitely think it'll happen in episode 9/10, but I'm not sure how it'll lead into Season 6. They can't hide Kit Harrington during the promo rounds.

In the books I think Jon will go into a weird warg spirit-coma thing where Bran (now the new 3 eyed crow) will show him the stuff about the Others. I have no idea how they'd portray something like that on screen though.

• I'm convinced that he is dead. But that will not be the end of his storyline.

• I think he's going to warg into Ghost. After that, I cannot say. People seem to think he's Azor Ahai come again because in A Dance With Dragons Melisandre looks into her fires for Azor Ahai, but instead of Stannis she sees things that have to do with Jon or snow.

• I'm sure Melisandre will save him.

• In any event...I look very forward to the reaction videos. :S

• Sorry, pet peeve. In your scenario, he would come back as an undead 'wight', not a white walker.
    The 'white walkers' are the controlling Lich-like creatures that you refer to, and they aren't undead, they're a different elemental species.
    The 'wights' are the army of the dead that are enthralled to them.
    As to Jon, he's clearly not gone. He can warg into Ghost, Melisandre could bring him back, the white walkers could bring him back... I mean, he's got options and his storyline obviously isn't over. I reckon they'll probably 'kill him off' in episode 9 and then hint that he'll come back in episode 10, so that Jon fans don't automatically quit the show.

• edited May 2015

He never said Jon was dead. Below are the reasons I've found supporting him living.

''Jon's decision (which is in violation of his oaths) causes great discontent within the Watch's upper leadership; in the confusion resulting from Wun Wun's killing of Ser Patrek of King's Mountain, he is stabbed repeatedly by Bowen Marsh and other black brothers, who attack in tears while muttering "for the Watch". Whether or not Jon survives this attack is currently unknown.''

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Jon_Snow

Surely not.

A few reasons:

When you think a major character in ASOIAF has died, you'd better see the body. When characters have actually proved dead (Eddard, Tywin, Rob), we witnessed a decapitation and/or had a body and a burial. Anything less, and they turn up alive (Zombie Cat, Zombie Gregor, Sandor, etc.)

GRRM spaces out the deaths of his major characters. Someone big needs to get got every now and then just to keep us honest. But we just had the certain death of semi-major character Kevan and the 99% certain death of first-person character Quentin.

Jon has been spending a lot of time with a priestess of a religion whose adherents have shown a knack for bringing apparently dead people back to life. Said priestess has been trying really hard to impress him and get him to trust her. Now would be a good time.
    GRRM generally doesn't cut people down in the midst of their character arc. Jon simply isn't ready to die. Even on the surface, it's pretty clear that he has some growing to do as Lord Commander. Also, and more importantly....

(SPECULATIVE) SPOILER ALERT, STOP HERE IF YOU HAVEN'T BEEN PAYING VERY CLOSE ATTENTION FROM BOOK ONE:

Jon is, of course, actually the son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark. Though the majority of the obsessed agree on this point, it hasn't come out in the open yet. It wouldn't make much sense to reveal this only after his death, and it opens up all sorts of plot avenues if he is alive. He is on the short list of viable heirs to the throne, and a strong contender to be one of the three heads of the dragon, and/or the prince that was promised.

http://www.quora.com/What-is-Jon-Snows-fate-at-the-end-of-A-Dance-with-Dragons-1

So if you've read the book it appears that Jon Snow has died. When i read this i flipped out i mean this guy has been my favorite charcter thoughout the whole series. So i've decided that he is NOT dead and this is why.

First. I am with the school of thought that Jon is not Ned's Bastard but instead the son of Prince Rhaegar Targayen and Ned's sister Lyanna Stark. Therefore a Taragayen and a Stark way to badass of a blood-line kill off.

Some things that support this are Rhaegar clearly had intent to be with Lyanna,
    When Sansa claims Arya is a bastard because she looks like Jon Snow Cat tells Sansa that she looks like Lyanna (Arya and Jon are described as looking alike).
    At the end of Robert's rebellion there is a battle that reasons are not disclosed (protecting the Taragayen Heir???) that ended with Ned and Howland Reed being the only surivors watching Lyanna die and Ned made an secret promise to her. (Hide Jon??)

Second. I understand that he was stab 4 times and didn't feel anything but cold on the last one. However people have been stabbed 20 times and survived before, it never states that he was stabbed in the vital organ, before the giant distracts everyone smashing around with that "club".

(As a commenter on the EW web site pointed out, Jon's wound is described as "SMOKING" in the cold air - note: not "steaming," which would seem to be a very deliberate word choice - and Bowen Marsh's tears are SALTY.

So what do we know about SALT and SMOKE? ) (not from me but a good point)

Third. Melisandre. When she tries to search the flames for signs of Stannis being Azor Ahai, she only sees Jon Snow. Plus we have seen other other servents of the red god resurecct people, it it has not been confirmed or denied that she has this ability.

Fourth. Other times when we have had the charcter whoes POV we are currently reading from "dies" (BRAN, CAT or THEON), they aren't really dead. Now if the POV charcter sees someone else die (when Cat saw Robb) that person has stayed dead. So Jon"died" from his own POV i think means he's not dead.

I think Jon will become the rider of Viserion who is also all white with red eyes.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/945614-spoilers-jon-snow-s-fate

• edited May 2015

He will revive in the cold, perhaps something to do with the white walkers, Bran , or something else we've yet to know about.

He will be the one reborn from ice, as Daenerys was reborn from fire. The song of ice and fire!

• As much as I love Jon, I'm looking forward to that episode.

That'll be the series finale or episode 9 because, historically, episode 9 is usually when all the shocking shit happens

• edited May 2015

I don't think he'll die. Jon Snow's plot is undoubtedly a central part to the story. And there's so much mystery surrounding him. His expulsion from the Night's Watch seems to be the perfect way to reinvent him as a character, especially if R + L = J is true.

I wonder if Bran Stark will have a part to play in Jon's story. It seems like that's the case. It seems to make sense, seeing that both plot lines are kept mostly in the dark.

• That's probably where all the loose ends of Jon's story will be revealed.

ranger563 posted: »

I definitely think it'll happen in episode 9/10, but I'm not sure how it'll lead into Season 6. They can't hide Kit Harrington during the pr

• Nope. I think Jon is severly wounded, not dead.

• Cope49Cope49 Banned
    edited May 2015

That would be a stupid move . Jon is a whole reason I still watch the damn show.

• I think he's dead, but he'll be brought back. Jon is literally A Song of Ice and Fire personified, the Prince that was promised.

• He will merge with Ghost and have his revenge.

• No because he's the most important character in the series. Leaked transcripts also said he survives the whole series.

• Cope49Cope49 Banned

Hope you're right...

No because he's the most important character in the series. Leaked transcripts also said he survives the whole series.

• No. His story is incomplete in my opinion, so I think that would probably keep him alive for now. Of course, that didn't stop Robb from dying... but he was never a PoV character.

• I think Stannis dies at the battle for Winterfell, Melisandre tries to resurrect 'her' Azor Ahai and apparently fails. Jump to next scene where Jon opens his eyes.

I think he's going to warg into Ghost. After that, I cannot say. People seem to think he's Azor Ahai come again because in A Dance With Drag

• I am confident that D & D will kill him off. They like to kill the likeable characters, soon there will be none left.

• I think maybe HBO will leave us with the same cliffhanger as the book. Is he dead? I really don't know, but I think he could be because knowing GRRM he'll be able to, but i really hope he will survive, he's one of my favorite characters.

• Peoples reactions like this is the reason GRR Martin created Game Of Thrones in the first place. It's not meant to have characters who are immortal just because they're the main character, or have plot armour thicker than dragon scale y'know...?

• Nope, because I'm still hoping for R + L = J

• It's still uncertain if he killed off The Hound in the books, and certainly was not seen in the show, only "Left 4 Dead", as far as I know HE is still kicking even if with a limp. The mountain was resurrected in a way. And Jon is way too important to kill off, even in his initial drafts of the novels he was one of the handful that made it to the end alongside Arya, Tyrion, Daenerys and Bran. Yet to be seen, perhaps he could come back in some ways, Jon could have some friends that would help him, and he survived arrows from Ygritte as well riding on horse arriving half dead to Castle Black. Yet to be seen, but my money is on Alive.

• No, and no.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.