Sons of Winter was the best episode yet

edited May 2015 in Game Of Thrones

Initially going in I was on the fence about this as I wasn't sure what to expect with it being episode 4. Boy was I wrong not only was this the best Game of Thrones episode but my second favorite Telltale episode. I think I'm going to name everything that made this episode a masterpiece

Asher invades Mereen: For me Asher stood out in this episode as it's shining star. Granted a first it moved slow but quickly picked up with Beshka's character being developed and her encounter with her once slave master being very interesting. Also the action sequences weren't boring and stale and actually added a bit of an obstacle. I think he was more appropriately used in this episode opposed to earlier episodes.

Alt text

You're right I don't wanna know ;)

Rodrik Forrester vs Ludd Whitehill: As I expected we got to High Point where things get really intense. The crossbows glaring at me from the balcony almost mirrored Red Wedding. I was truly shocked when I told Ser Royland to attack and him non cannonically killing Whitehill. This is where it should have ended

Alt text

IRON FROM ICE, MOTHERFUCKER!

Ramsay Returns

Alt text

I kinda knew about it but it was still never the less shocking

Ramsay: Rodrik!

Me: Ramsay!

Mira in King's Landing: I think this also was an interesting point while it wasn't her most eventful episode we still learned she could forge an alliance with a secret Lannister and Lord Whitehill's plans. I also sense her becoming more of a slightly devious character and her quiet, shyness diminishing.

Alt text

Red Hulk Transformation Beginning

Gared's hunt for The North Grove: I think Gared's storyline has major potential that has yet to be hit. I can see it coming along more and more as his story line begins to branch with more impactful choices and characters but I'm still waiting for it's climax.

I would give this a solid 9.5. The writing and development is all really all coming along beautifully as the choices are beginning to have more of an impact. Also I'd like to mention the return of Norren

Alt text

Comments

• Lol how are people playing this episode and it's not even released until the afternoon for everyone?

• So much leaks may as well be a stream ;)

Lol how are people playing this episode and it's not even released until the afternoon for everyone?

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

It got released early on the European PS4.

Lol how are people playing this episode and it's not even released until the afternoon for everyone?

• Asher: continues to be the reason I'm playing. He was awesome this episode and easily had the best scenes.

Rodrik: Best episode with him yet. All his scenes felt so tense. Too bad he's gonna die next episode.

Gared: his story has really picked up after escaping the night's watch. I loved him, Cotter, and Finn's scene with the Wildings.

Mira: Continues too be the weakest character, but earned some respect with me by being confident and brave this episode.

Overall best episode of the game yet and actually got me somewhat excited for the rest of the season. 9/10.

This episode was definitely the most action packed. Hope the last 2 episodes finish as strongly as this one.

• What do you mean Rodrik is going to die next episode?
    And why is Ludd Whitehill dying noncanonical?

• Ehh... It was good, some bits kinda ruined it a bit for me.
    How Gared, Cotter and Finn get through the other side of the wall? They have to call to open the gate and walk through the tunnel. That wasn't explained at all, it just went from outside the cell, to the other side of the wall.
    I did like the backstory for Whitehill, it made you understand Ludd a bit more.

• Alt text

Alt text

Alt text

Alt text

They all get killed non cannon if you choose to attack

diain posted: »

What do you mean Rodrik is going to die next episode? And why is Ludd Whitehill dying noncanonical?

• I nearly shit myself lol

Legendary12 posted: »

I thought Rodrik really was dead when the guy I was watching chose to attack.. When the death screen came up I was like.. Thank God..

• I thought Rodrik really was dead when the guy I was watching chose to attack.. When the death screen came up I was like.. Thank God..

• Making your own choices is an illusion

Legendary12 posted: »

I thought Rodrik really was dead when the guy I was watching chose to attack.. When the death screen came up I was like.. Thank God..

• Beshka's telling about her slave master really seemed forced maybe its because i chose to be silent all the time. it was so unbelievable like just to make another plotpoint and i really didn't feel sorry for her.

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator

If giving you the option to attack did nothing, people would rag on Telltale about choices not mattering enough

If they didn't give you the option to attack at all, people would still rag on them about not giving the player enough choices in the situation

When they do give you the option to attack, then have it play out about as well as you would expect, people still rag on Telltale about choices not mattering enough

There's just no way for Telltale to win this, is there

Making your own choices is an illusion

• How awesome would that have been if it was an actual choice and didn't just go to the game over screen?

Clemenem posted: »

They all get killed non cannon if you choose to attack

• There was literally no way to get out of that alive with the attack option without pulling a Kenny.

Making your own choices is an illusion

Sign in to comment in this discussion.