Screw Shacknews!

2»

Comments

• edited July 2009
    I stopped reading the review after this line:
    Accompanying the conversation is a MIDI score from original Monkey Island composer Michael Land.
    The final output of the music is not MIDI. They may have used some MIDI synths to play some of the score's instruments, but the final output is recorded audio file(ie. MP3).
  • edited July 2009
    I like it fine too. I think people just need time to get used to it.

The Secret of Monkey Island remake, on the other hand, looks terrible. :( It really looks like bad fan-art, the perspective is all wonky, the proportions are off... It makes me sad. And sadder that I can't play it in "talkie" mode with the new graphics off.
  • edited July 2009
    So did the guy have anything POSITIVE to say? Seriously, it's like he was just playing the game looking for every little excuse to rant about something. Where is his credibility when he's so one-sided? This isn't the next E.T. for Atari.

Not everyone will be happy; but I know I will.

You know you will? Without having played it? Interesting. Perhaps you should reserve judgement until you play the game?
  • edited July 2009
    LukeSW wrote: »
    You know you will? Without having played it? Interesting. Perhaps you should reserve judgement until you play the game?

I'm happy that there is a fifth Monkey Island. I'm happy that I got to spend so much wonderful time in the PPF reading all the great, funny, and awesome stuff people have said in there, and out here as well. I'm glad I got to talk to people like Dave Grossman and Dominic Armato. No matter how the game turns out, which I believe it will be great, I will be completely satisfied by everything I got out of it in total. :)
  • edited July 2009
    meh @ shacknews.
  • edited July 2009
    You know, I know I shouldn't leave a comment, but I'm going to anyway. That review seems to me to not be very informative. What information I do glean from it is that A) he hasn't read much of the press releases from Telltale since he thinks Dave helmed the series and not Mike and Mark B) he didn't enjoy the humor {what I've heard of it I do} C) he didn't like the artwork {what I've seen of it I do} D)the first episode of ToMI wasn't like the MI games of the past {no really?} E) the puzzles were fun and logical. So basically, this guy seems like he played the game expecting it to suck, but ended up enjoying the puzzles anyway. You know, I have a feeling the games are going to be jes' fine.
  • edited July 2009
    Might sound weird after not sleeping too much, due to ...

a) I think it would have been wiser to set the embargo to the same time the game is beeing released to it's buyers and not that the reviews pop up almost a day before, depending on where you're living.

b) I would pay more than $60 for a game if the game offers me what i really want. If it would be the perfect adventure with the right story, the right charcters, long playtime, wonderful designed riddles and so on, then as long as i can afford it, i would go for it and spend less money on other games then.

For those games it goes wrong, it's often like that sometimes the expensive games aren't worth the money because they aren't what you really want and cheap games on the other side can come along too cheap so that you think, well if you have improved just this aspect i would have preferd spending a bit more, it's a balance act and setting the right priorities. But there also exist games which are doing just fine.
  • edited July 2009
    I find it odd that people rush to the defense of a game they haven't played yet. I mean, I hope and expect it to be good. But hell, it could NOT be. In fact, there are some episodes of Telltale games that I don't like, and they're generally at the start(Culture Shock is not exactly my favorite Sam and Max episode, for instance).
  • edited July 2009
    Oh, I've played it. Some of the others have too.
  • edited July 2009
    You know? This review may be a good thing; It lowers the expectations just a notch before the game is released. And that is probably a good thing.

Another thing is that I think it is wrong to review this first episode as a whole game.
    Thats like reviewing the first chapter in MI2 as an own game.
    The reviewers should hold their horses until all the episodes are released on the DVD.
  • edited July 2009
    OCKi wrote: »
    Another thing is that I think it is wrong to review this first episode as a whole game.
    Thats like reviewing the first chapter in MI2 as an own game.
    The reviewers should hold their horses until all the episodes are released on the DVD.

I kind of feel like this too, and that's sort of how I handled it. I think we're going to review the first episode and then the full season when 5 comes out, but reviewing each chapter as we go along seems silly.
  • I find it odd that people rush to the defense of a game they haven't played yet. I mean, I hope and expect it to be good. But hell, it could NOT be. In fact, there are some episodes of Telltale games that I don't like, and they're generally at the start(Culture Shock is not exactly my favorite Sam and Max episode, for instance).

Frogacuda is right. There are those of us on the forum that have review copies. We just couldn't publish any coverage until about an hour ago. I've played through quite a bit of it and that's why I have 0 issue defending the game itself.
  • edited July 2009
    I read 3 paragraphs and thought to myself. Why the F**k am I listening to this idiots opinion. Mine is much better!!!!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.