Minecraft with HoloLens!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/microsoft-shows-off-minecraft-built-specifically-for-hololens/ar-BBlbhF4

Alt text

This is super cool. As a Minecraft player (4 years) this is amazing. I got PC and Xbox One MC, and I am excited for the development.

Comments

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator

Yeah, it looked really cool, although I have my doubts that it will look exactly like that, although if it does that would be amazing.

• Hololens is just another gimmick that will be gone in a couple years.

• It's pretty typical of Microsoft. They come up with some really cool technologies that are never used by developers.

The Kinect is shit on a lot. Rightfully so, because there's no game I'm aware of that makes good use of it. But it's an amazing piece of technology. People have used it to make some really cool projects that have nothing to do with gaming. I expect something similar with the Hololens.

Hololens is just another gimmick that will be gone in a couple years.

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited June 2015

I haven't seen any company that made anything that takes full advantage of the new Kinect yet, but there were some developers that did some neat stuff with the original Kinect. Double Fine's Kinect games (Happy Action Theater and Kinect Party, and to a lesser extent, Once Upon A Monster) were praised for being one of the few that actually made the best out of the Kinect. The newest Double Fine Kinect game (Kinect Party) managed to push the Kinect to it's limits, by having wearable costumes, making use of the microphone for gameplay (tracking which player was talking to make a person wearing a dragon costume breath fire, or to make bubbles come out of their mouths while under water), having a maximum of six people in the game. Only four had fully tracked skeletons, as that was Kinect's limit, six was pushing it beyond those limits, but the games work well in a large room with six people as well. And, the game wouldn't drop out if you got out of range of the sensor, which is one of my pet peeves for the Kinect, especially when playing with a hyper four year old, as keeping young kids in range is almost impossible.

But, yeah, most companies didn't push the Kinect to its limits and only scratched the surface of what it could do. And, that really is a shame, as Double Fine's games show that the Kinect can be a lot of fun if done properly.

mosfet posted: »

It's pretty typical of Microsoft. They come up with some really cool technologies that are never used by developers. The Kinect is shit o

Sign in to comment in this discussion.