Other nightbwatch castles

edited June 2015 in Game Of Thrones

so heres the thing cause of the show i know there are more castles near the wall but is empty. So question why wildlings couldnt have used that before?And why cant Gared use that?

Comments

• edited June 2015

Because writing. Good point, actually.

I'm not sure if the other castles have a path through the Wall though. Maybe we're missing something.

• I think Nightfort has some special thing, and there are two other manned castles on The Wall.

• Basically wall has only three castles that are currently used - Castle, Black, East watch and Shadow tower and near the shadow tower is river. Mance Ryder could easily cross the river and attack from the back.

Alt text

• So either Mance is stupid, or he doesn't know that which is obviously makes him stupid because he was in Night Watch .
    eh...

• Well looking at the map there is a shit ton of mountains in that area so he probably knew about the Shadow Tower but didn't want to climb those mountains. Odds are the main reason why he attacked Castle Black is because he knew how many men was stationed there.

PCGaming posted: »

So either Mance is stupid, or he doesn't know that which is obviously makes him stupid because he was in Night Watch . eh...

• Mance was stationed at the Shadow tower when he was in the Watch, so he definitely knew about it, but also knew that it would be difficult to get a hundred thousand wildlings over those mountains, and across the Gorge, especially with women, and children, not to mention the wildlings were carrying all of their possessions, so it was logistically easier to take Castle Black, or force the Night's Watch to a truce and let them pass, which is what would have happened if Stannis had not arrived on time. Mance is a smart man, and took these things into consideration when he chose where to attack.

Nightmare1 posted: »

Well looking at the map there is a shit ton of mountains in that area so he probably knew about the Shadow Tower but didn't want to climb th

• I'm confused about why the game didn't use this as an opportunity to send Gared to Eastwatch or the Shadow Tower. If they did that, they could have easily made the entire thing completely original. I mean they wouldn't have Jon Snow, but it's not like they included any of the other wall characters there. Like where the hell was Sam the whole time?

• Only 3 of the castles were open and had a working tunnel (Castle Black, The Shadowtower, Eastwatch by the Sea) until jon started to reopen them and staff them again after he was elected Lord Commander.

There is a tunnel beneath The Nightfort, but it is still a secret-ish as of yet.

• Well he could let women and children somewhere relatively safe and then take his men and cross the mountains same as Hannibal did.

Jpork18 posted: »

Mance was stationed at the Shadow tower when he was in the Watch, so he definitely knew about it, but also knew that it would be difficult t

Sign in to comment in this discussion.