WTF happened in that trailer?

I've never played Minecraft. What the hell was happening in that trailer

Comments

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator
    edited July 2015

Well Telltale seemed to have been trying to hide the story in that trailer (I guess to keep as much surprise as possible), so let's analyze it from the beginning.

So at the start you have zombies coming out of caves at night. We then move to our protagonist, Jesse, his pig Reuben and the girl talking in a cave about giving Jesse a sword. Instead she says that he can make his own, which demonstrates he's not very familiar with the mechanics of the Minecraft universe. So he creates his own.

The next part shows a zombie with a yellow outline which is part of combat as he selected the zombie. Jesse and the girl are then seen in a back alley being offered a diamond by a mysterious stranger, Jesse is suspicious of this (noted by the way his eyes squint).

Next we see Jesse and his group of friends heading to a domed building which I assume hosts Endercon. The scene shifts to what we presume is a room inside the building which hosts bookshelves, a bunch of different potions and an enchanting table, the group seems very weirded out by it. The pudgy member of the group is shown looking at potions saying he wants to steal, Jesse then scolds him. Jesse is seen staring wide eyed at a command block (which can do a lot of nifty stuff to the world but can only be obtained in Creative Mode in regular Minecraft).

After we see the group looking over the book on the enchanting table with a voice saying they don't know what they've done, so we assume they accidentally caused something with it. We then see Gabriel the knight walk onstage at Endercon. The dome begins to glow purple and then shatters, people are seen fleeing the event, some being lifted off in the purple light, one even jumping off a bridge. Gabriel is astonished to see that the group isn't running away, with Jesse saying they stick together as we see eight people (including Jesse's group and some people we hadn't previously seen) run down a set of stairs.

The scene shifts to show us Jesse, Reuben and the redhead girl on a bridge surrounded by Creepers and zombies (we can assume the bridge leads to a mineshaft, possibly the same one at the beginning, due to the railway tracks), we then see an Iron Golem punching the screen at something unknown. We see Jesse being levitated by the purple light with 3 chickens. Gabriel tells them to go and we see them start a Nether Portal, we then see the group on a floating island in the Nether.

• seeing the trailer make me not buy that even more. i oly wish that the money and people that are making that were working on other better projecs.

• It had nothing to do with Minecraft at all

• Well it be boring if it is only about building and mining. TTG had to do something besides that, but im sure the "building and mining" part will have a part in a episode.

It had nothing to do with Minecraft at all

• you clearly don't understand how business or game production works

jackymasdar posted: »

seeing the trailer make me not buy that even more. i oly wish that the money and people that are making that were working on other better projecs.

• Lee happened.

• Yes i realy dont know much about the way they work, but i was just expresing my opniao that telltale SHOULD work on other projects better in my view, i understand that alot of people plays minecraft and they will problaly buy this game to so they will make tons of money that they can use to do more projects and stuff, But there is alot of other franchisings that they could work it like star wars for exemple(im not a fan of star wars to) and im cleary not a fan of minecraft but please dont hate me because of that. sorry bad englis.

you clearly don't understand how business or game production works

• LEL

Pipas posted: »

Lee happened.

• Paragraphs exist.

dojo32161 posted: »

Well Telltale seemed to have been trying to hide the story in that trailer (I guess to keep as much surprise as possible), so let's analyze

• I had literally no idea what happened in the trailer, but the visual style is good and accurate to the source material while not being totally identical. It's quite strange and surreal that the trailer is devoid of comedy or any humour despite the weird art style and general ridiculousness of the Minecraft universe, and the characters all seem pretty serious. I was expecting more lampshade hanging on some of the eccentricities of Minecraft. Nonetheless, I'm very interested in how this thing turns out in the end.

Is the guy who plays the older narrating Adam Goldberg from 'The Goldbergs' in this?

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator

Yeah, but I got lazy.

Paragraphs exist.

• So did I.

Didn't read.

dojo32161 posted: »

Yeah, but I got lazy.

• Its looks like a really bad minecraft animation...sorry

• *my OPINION

jackymasdar posted: »

Yes i realy dont know much about the way they work, but i was just expresing my opniao that telltale SHOULD work on other projects better in

• In a nutshell, the world's ending and the main characters have to find this group of warriors that may be capable of saving it.

• edited July 2015

First, it starts off looking a bit childish, but not that bad; very reminiscent of Wreck-it Ralph (especially the voice actor for that big guy, got some serious Dr Brule vibes there). A cliche line here and there, not terribly funny, but not grating and offensive.

It wasn't too bad until we got to the more dramatic part. I assume that the trailer editor was the same one who made the Wolf Among Us ones, or at least the guy who did the score for it also did the TWAU trailer music. The style was very similar; but why the fuck would you make such a dramatic and tense trailer for a MINECRAFT game? A children's game with cartoony zombies, and you have wardrums and ominous horns playing in the background? What the fuck. And hey, Dave Fennoy is always a treat, but hearing him yell that dramatically and use such powerful (and overused) lines? How does that fit the setting at all? How am I supposed to take any of this seriously?

I haven't slept in a few days so I'm not sure how coherent any of that is, sry.

• who knows?It was a goddamn mess

• A trailer showing the plot for every generic fantasy story "me and my group of friends have to do this thing to save our world"

• And that the trailer looks and sounds similar to a Minecraft Movie Trailer!

Sign in to comment in this discussion.