Much praise! But a few gripes.

First of all, as a long-time Telltale customer i want to thank you for bringing back Monkey Island to its top shape, possibly making it even better than the original LucasArts release. I dare say i enjoyed chapter 1 of this game even more than the Sam & Max games (and i loooooooove sam & max).

I have however, found a few minor annoyances i felt i should point out, and browsing the forums, i think alot of people will agree with me. Firstly, moving Guybrush around feels very akward, both with the keyboard and mouse, although some might not mind it, i don't imagine it would be that hard to give players the option to use the old point and click method of getting around. Another thing that bugged me was the fact some interactive dialogues were only there for show, and no matter which options you would choose, Guybrush would end up saying the same thing, i can understand using these "breaks" so that conversations don't wind up stretching for too long, but a single option would suffice.

I guess these problems are nitpicks as i easily played through the game despite these said annoyances, but since they are the only thing i could find wrong with the game i figured i would point them out ;)

Keep them coming Telltale!

Comments

• edited July 2009
    Dark_n9ne wrote: »
    Another thing that bugged me was the fact some interactive dialogues were only there for show, and no matter which options you would choose, Guybrush would end up saying the same thing, i can understand using these "breaks" so that conversations don't wind up stretching for too long, but a single option would suffice.
    It really bugs me that no one understands that this is not only a joke, but a throwback to the classic Monkey Island games, which all did the same thing. It seems strange all the reasons people are making up for this, none of which involve "because it's funny."

Remember in Curse of Monkey Island where Voodoo Lady asks if Guybrush wants to see pics of her kids, and the four options are something like "No; Heck No; For the love of God NO!; and I'd rather kill myself" and no matter what you choose he goes "Maybe later." It's like that.
  • edited July 2009
    I choose the middle ground. As a throwback to the early games, its both fun and natural; however, three times in a row, such as during whats-his-name the reporter's first interview, makes the joke a little too flat.
  • edited July 2009
    Frogacuda wrote: »
    It really bugs me that no one understands that this is not only a joke, but a throwback to the classic Monkey Island games, which all did the same thing. It seems strange all the reasons people are making up for this, none of which involve "because it's funny."

Remember in Curse of Monkey Island where Voodoo Lady asks if Guybrush wants to see pics of her kids, and the four options are something like "No; Heck No; For the love of God NO!; and I'd rather kill myself" and no matter what you choose he goes "Maybe later." It's like that.

Except, not.

If they re-did that scene in this game, here's how it would go:
    "Want to see some pictures of my kids?"
    "No;Yes; Maybe Later; Goodbye".
    And, then, no matter which one you choose, he says "Maybe Later".

You notice the difference?
    (I'll give you a clue: One scenario is funny, the other is clearly just tedious).
  • edited July 2009
    I didn't mind the keyboard controls, but the "click and drag" mouse controls are borderline unplayable because they're so damn slow. I got used in Sam & Max to just be able to double-click something on screen, and Sam would go run over to it. You still have something like that in this game, where you can double-click examine-able objects and Guybrush will run over, but the standard mouse controls just can't compare to the speed and ease of use of the keyboard controls. I would have prefered Sam & Max-style P&C controls.

I had a much bigger problem with every time I wanted to look at my maps that I had to open the inventory, select to examine an object, and then select the maps. Why that couldn't just be an icon on-screen like in Wallace & Grommit is beyond me, because it's needlessly cumbersome the way it's done here.

Well, that and the obnoxious Zelda 1-style "treasure hunts", which are so easy to screw up and so tedious to keep starting over on.

Very fun game, though.
  • edited July 2009
    wah wah wah. I found it funny, and is it really that big a deal? Or did you carefully spend a few painstaking minutes deciding which option to choose. Just use the tried and true technique of picking the first thing.
  • edited July 2009
    I agree with brood wars however. They seemed like odd design choices, but it didn't bother me enough to detract from the overall experience. Movement with the keyboard felt fine though, not that different from W&G, which i also felt would be improved with P&C. However TOMI is well along in it's first season, so don't expect any gameplay changes until season 2.
  • edited July 2009
    broodwars wrote: »
    I didn't mind the keyboard controls, but the "click and drag" mouse controls are borderline unplayable because they're so damn slow. I got used in Sam & Max to just be able to double-click something on screen, and Sam would go run over to it. You still have something like that in this game, where you can double-click examine-able objects and Guybrush will run over, but the standard mouse controls just can't compare to the speed and ease of use of the keyboard controls. I would have prefered Sam & Max-style P&C controls.

I had a much bigger problem with every time I wanted to look at my maps that I had to open the inventory, select to examine an object, and then select the maps. Why that couldn't just be an icon on-screen like in Wallace & Grommit is beyond me, because it's needlessly cumbersome the way it's done here.

Well, that and the obnoxious Zelda 1-style "treasure hunts", which are so easy to screw up and so tedious to keep starting over on.

Very fun game, though.

Rumour has it that you can just press M... for map ;-)
  • edited July 2009
    That's only the Flotsam Island map though, not the treasure maps. However with careful use of a pen and paper, I managed to write down the sequences, so didn't have to keep opening them up all the time.

And you hold the right button down when walking to make Guybrush run - I didn't find the mouse-only controls slow at all.
  • edited July 2009
    jp-30 wrote: »
    However with careful use of a pen and paper, I managed to write down the sequences, so didn't have to keep opening them up all the time.

Now you're thinking like an old adventure gamer! Good man!
  • edited July 2009
    jp-30 wrote: »
    And you hold the right button down when walking to make Guybrush run - I didn't find the mouse-only controls slow at all.

Hmm...maybe it's just being too used to more user-friendly mouse controls from their previous games that I just couldn't get used to the new ones here. Whatever.

It would have been nice to know of all these keyboard shortcuts when I actually needed them, though. I knew Tab, of course, to open the inventory but that was the only one I knew.
  • edited July 2009
    Ad Hominem wrote: »
    Except, not.

If they re-did that scene in this game, here's how it would go:
    "Want to see some pictures of my kids?"
    "No;Yes; Maybe Later; Goodbye".
    And, then, no matter which one you choose, he says "Maybe Later".

You notice the difference?
    (I'll give you a clue: One scenario is funny, the other is clearly just tedious).

That's not how it's written here, though.
  • edited July 2009
    broodwars wrote: »

Did you forget about the treasure part of the SoMI in Part 1 of that game? If you managed to even get past that the maps in this game are pretty easy.
  • edited July 2009
    fire2box wrote: »
    Did you forget about the treasure part of the SoMI in Part 1 of that game? If you managed to even get past that the maps in this game are pretty easy.

I've never played Secret of Monkey Island. That came before I really got into Adventure games with Indiana Jones & the Fate of Atlantis (and some Day of the Tentacle), a few Sherlock Homes FMV games, and some early childhood playing of the Zork games.
  • edited July 2009
    think grim fandango.. its the closest controls.. mix that with wallace n gromitt and walla.. MI's controls.. shift to go fast..where as in fandango you had to hold a key to walk..
    i like the controls
    zork is OLD.. so dont know how you hit that and not mi1
  • edited July 2009
    Kaldire wrote: »
    think grim fandango.. its the closest controls.. mix that with wallace n gromitt and walla.. MI's controls.. shift to go fast..where as in fandango you had to hold a key to walk..
    i like the controls
    zork is OLD.. so dont know how you hit that and not mi1

Never played Grim Fandango more than a few minutes, either. Alright, this is how it went: when I was around 5 or so, I had an old Atari 800 computer in my room and my Dad had given me a whole boatload of floppy discs with various games on them and among them were Zorks 1-3. I never got far in any of them, and I didn't have that computer for long due to circumstances I won't go into.

I didn't get my own computer after that till I was in high school in the late 90s, and had only a few chances to play PC games at all on my folks' desktop PC in the intermediary years, and so I got a chance to play Fate of Atlantis and some Sherlock Holmes games. My best friend (and he still is) was the one who got to play all the good stuff because he had a Mac, so he had Fate of Atlantis (with voices!); Day of the Tentacle; Sam & Max; Grim Fandango; etc. Somehow we both missed out on Monkey Island.
  • edited July 2009
    I want to reiterate that i was nitpicking and none of my irks detracted from me enjoying the game. I understand that design choices are for the developers to decide, but i believe the consumer has the right to disagree with these choices.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.