The Trees in Game of Thrones.

so what do those trees represent? or what is their purpose? the beautiful-CGI-red-leaved trees. [besides their faces] what do they mean? or what are they? Bran has to go to a tree, the nights watch say an oath under it, they have one in Winterfell were it looks like paradise, ohhh and bran has a vision to where to go, the same scene we saw with Daenerys in the house of the undying and then we have a dragon flying over what i think its kings landing. so what are those trees?

https://youtu.be/b6fq-elMOKg

Comments

• edited July 2015

They are Weirwood trees. The children of the forest worshipped them (not sure if as gods or something else) and carved faces in them so their greenseers (shamans of sorts) could see through those faces.

The first men took over this religion from the children, while the Andals brought their own religion with them (Faith of the Seven). But most northern Houses still worship the old gods of the forest, and the Weirwood trees are a symbol for them so to speak. That is why you find a garden with a Weirwood tree in most northern strongholds, they are worshipped there.

(Note that these infos are imcomplete and may have some mistakes in them, I'm not that good with the history of Westeros ;P)

• ohhh ok nice thank you :)

also the Andals? they are some sort of different people? i mean that sounded familiar so i looked it up where i heard that and dont they call Jorah that? what does that mean?

They are Weirwood trees. The children of the forest worshipped them (not sure if as gods or something else) and carved faces in them so thei

• edited July 2015

In the books Bran can see through the trees they are religious for the Northerners but they are a vast information network for the Greenseers that is how they know what is going on everywhere not only that but Bran can view any event that had happened in front of them in the past I think.

This guy Preston Jacobs talks about the trees at the beginning of this video it relates to the book so I am not sure how the show has dealt with it.

https://youtu.be/TMgUIPvAlLI?list=PLCsx_OFEYH6vAkHO0gakDrZ8Kuteu-nUn

• edited July 2015

The Andals come from "Andalos" in Essos. The Andals are the culture group south of the North and the ones who worship the Seven. They arrived in Westeros long after the First men did, and destroyed or married into most First Men Kingdoms. The only First men left are those in the North who managed to fight off the Andals. They were the first humans to come Westeros and eventually adopted the Old Gods religion that the Children of the Forest worshiped.

jamex1223 posted: »

ohhh ok nice thank you also the Andals? they are some sort of different people? i mean that sounded familiar so i looked it up where i heard that and dont they call Jorah that? what does that mean?

• AWESOMEOAWESOMEO Banned
    edited July 2015

I believe that through them Bran will use his greensight to see R + L at their wedding, then pass that information to Jon (since Jon is a warg as well) through greensight communication (through a weirdwood communication network, if you may) while he is between life and death and "one with nature" - as happened with the warg Varamyr Sixskins. That will be the biggest part that the weirwood trees will play in the series.

• The trees are the Old Gods. They watch their 'charges' and come to know them. People are married before their Heart Trees, the trees are their confessors, their judges, their home. They are like a pagan nature based religion, but with magic.

Every Weirwood is the equivalent of a church/priest in modern terminology.

• ohhhh shit nice. thank you very much

The Andals come from "Andalos" in Essos. The Andals are the culture group south of the North and the ones who worship the Seven. They arrive

• damn..... now while that was awesome.. it was too much..

• Like @EpicMustacheGuy said Children of the Forest carved the faces into the weirwod trees, but they didnt worshipped the trees. hey worshipped the gods and those gods were watching over them through those carved faces.

They are Weirwood trees. The children of the forest worshipped them (not sure if as gods or something else) and carved faces in them so thei

• Ghost confirmed next King of the Seven Kingdoms. Legalizes recreational milk of the poppy use and organizes a continent-wide soccer league.

• Still weird thinking how much stuff the three-eyed crow has creeped on over the years.

Arya_Stupid posted: »

The trees are the Old Gods. They watch their 'charges' and come to know them. People are married before their Heart Trees, the trees are the

• Yeah most of that stuff is theories but I think I agree with him that there is something up with the children of the forest and I doubt they are going to be good guys.

damn..... now while that was awesome.. it was too much..

• Lmfao, totally.

Toxic Emu posted: »

Ghost confirmed next King of the Seven Kingdoms. Legalizes recreational milk of the poppy use and organizes a continent-wide soccer league.

• I would read a book of Bloodraven's memoirs/observations in a heartbeat!

He's a bastard, he's a sorcerer, he's a king's hand, he's a traitor who gets sent to the watch. Then he becomes Lord Commander and proceeds to dissapear beyond the Wall. Then he's missing for who knows how long and when we find him again he's the Last Greenseer, just hanging in a cave with the Children of the Forrest waiting for Bran.

He says he's been watching the Starks since before The Ned was born. Gods i would love a POV from him! He has got to be one of the most interesting, well informed characters in ASOIAF, which probably means that he'll be dead within the first 20 pages of The Winds of Winter.

Toxic Emu posted: »

Still weird thinking how much stuff the three-eyed crow has creeped on over the years.

• damn. so the theories of white walkers being kinda the good guys and being ancestors too of the first men. something like that

Yeah most of that stuff is theories but I think I agree with him that there is something up with the children of the forest and I doubt they are going to be good guys.

• They do call Jorah The Andal. But i believe that's only how the Essosi people refer to him because he is from Westeros. But i could be wrong :)

ohhhh shit nice. thank you very much

• The children of the forest and the Greenseers have been watching a long time and George R.R. Martin seems to like to use this hive mind stuff in a few books. Maybe they will posses people or control their minds rather than be allies. I don't think the White Walkers will be the good guys but they might have a purpose other than being evil I just don't know what.

damn. so the theories of white walkers being kinda the good guys and being ancestors too of the first men. something like that

• Aaaarrrrgggh! When will Winds of Winter be finished?!? I need ANSWERS GEORGE!!!

I feel like all i do anymore is wait for things.... It's giving me a complex.

The children of the forest and the Greenseers have been watching a long time and George R.R. Martin seems to like to use this hive mind stuf

• I agree I would like to finish it before I am as old as he is.

Aaaarrrrgggh! When will Winds of Winter be finished?!? I need ANSWERS GEORGE!!! I feel like all i do anymore is wait for things.... It's giving me a complex.

• nice, thanks :)

They do call Jorah The Andal. But i believe that's only how the Essosi people refer to him because he is from Westeros. But i could be wrong

• man. i feel for you guys. i dont read the books, i just bought the first one and will start reading soon, but damn yall been waiting for a long time and with the show already passed and/or being right there with some story lines, the show will spoil (maybe not so much who knows) you whats next :(

The children of the forest and the Greenseers have been watching a long time and George R.R. Martin seems to like to use this hive mind stuf

Sign in to comment in this discussion.