Episode 5 ending choice! GAH!!!!

Why? Why? I couldn't be satisfied with either of the two. What did you think?

Comments

• I've said it a few times, possibly the most difficult choice I've ever made in a game. I needed Rodrick alive, he is my favorite character. Asher was a close second. Rodrick the Ruined will destroy the Whitehills and ensure his family has a future.

• I chose Rodrik to live as well. I felt bad that Asher died five minutes into finally reaching Westeros.

I've said it a few times, possibly the most difficult choice I've ever made in a game. I needed Rodrick alive, he is my favorite character. Asher was a close second. Rodrick the Ruined will destroy the Whitehills and ensure his family has a future.

• It is a great GoT element. I previously answered this question in another post, but yes, it was a heart-wrenching decision. Though Rodrik was my favorite over Asher, I chose to leave him behind.

This final decision saved episode 5 from being a dud.

• edited July 2015

A lot of people are saying it acts as a ploy/red herring to distract the player from the rest of the episode. I disagree.

I consider it amazing, because for the first time, the story really is tailored, but not in the branching paths way. It's about the reasoning behind your choice, which is unique for everyone. Wanted Rodrik to ultimately be the one to crush the Whitehills, after all he's been through? Great. Do you feel that the exiled brother avenging his family makes for a great story? Go ahead. Do you go for the emotional impact of Rodrik dying at the hands of Gryff or Asher saying farewell to Beskha (one of the best scenes imo, I can't even explain why)? Both are fair choices.

It isn't a cheap "we need to kill off a protagonist, just make them choose and they'll praise us for being geniuses". It really is more than that.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.