Episode 5 is flat out AWFUL writing hiding behind the GOT name

edited August 2015 in Game Of Thrones

It makes no sense at all. Starting with the whole ramsey and Rodrick scene that was just a time filler, your decision doesn't matter whatsoever, and it's listed in the end as one of your major choices, what a joke. Also, good thing you had the "elite" soldiers from the glenmores, who turned out to be umm...NOTHING. In the last scene Rodrick just rides up happy-go-lucky towards asher even after hearing of the Whitehills plan to ambush Asher the second he gets off the boat, it's like they were completely surprised to be ambushed, it's crazy, WHO WOULD OF THOUHGT . And the whole Mira and Tyrion scene was absolutely ridiculous, (way to be subtle about it telltale) very poorly written. No decisions you make even matter at all.
There's a lot more going on that I can't even list because it's so piss poor and I'm tired, fill in the rest. I mean episode 1-3 were pretty good, they seem rushed or something I dunno. What do you think?

Comments

• I honestly think that this whole season, is worse than season 2 of TWD.

• edited August 2015

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

TWD Season 2 was pretty fucking disappointing. From the main character to the rest of the cast, to the out of character moments to the underused and underdeveloped characters themselves, to the biggest forced conflict in history.

One does not compare a TT game to TWD season 2 so casually. People should chill out, as if GOT ep.5 erased all the good ones that came before...

kaza125 posted: »

I honestly think that this whole season, is worse than season 2 of TWD.

• Ouch..

• Why do we have so many of these threads? At least, if you're going to make a thread, go INSANELY in depth as to why you think this way instead of saying "bad writing", that is literally THE WORST argument in the world. These threads have been done to death at this point, and I really don't see a point in creating any more if you aren't going to go super in depth about it.

• What do you think about the episode then?

Green613 posted: »

Why do we have so many of these threads? At least, if you're going to make a thread, go INSANELY in depth as to why you think this way inste

• I respectfully disagree. GoT has way more character building and stronger character relationships than the Walking Dead Season 2. The story has a much stronger focus than Season 2.

• I am sad to hear, I personally really enjoyed and love the episode.

• Hmm, yeah I was probably a bit angry when I wrote that, but I think it's the second worst series they've done :D
    The writing is just so bad in this, I've done writing myself and I probably sound like a dick, but I I'm pretty sure I can do a better job than a game that is delivers a lot of it's time to characters from the show, that honestly takes away from developing our own characters. Season 1 of TWD has minor appearances of comic characters and stands on it's own.
    This game for some reason, features these characters on the show so often, which is just silly, it takes so much time they could be used to develop our own characters on the game, but instead we see them time and time again and we know what happens to them, so what's the point? Sure it's nice to see an apperance, but not every damn episode :D And my god, Ramsay and his plot armour O_o, don't get me started on that :D

_DIO_ posted: »

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. TWD Season 2 was pretty fucking disappointing. From the main character to the rest of the cast, to

• The episode had bad writing and some filler moments (looking at you Gared), but that doesn't mean that the whole episode sucks and that the season is doomed.

I agree that the Rodrik going to the ambush no matter what was dumb af, but it was necessary to the main plot so...

I disagree that Mira and Tyrion's scene was poorly writen, I'd like that you explain why...

This ep has bad writing but to me is away from being the worst episode.

• I care about these characters far more than I did with TWD:S2 because they're developed, and not killed off one by one purely for us to be shocked. I think this is one of my favorite TTG Series to date.

I respectfully disagree. GoT has way more character building and stronger character relationships than the Walking Dead Season 2. The story has a much stronger focus than Season 2.

• I liked this episode, though I didn't agree with Royland being my traitor. I'm interested in seeing how they handle Episode 6, and I hope they don't cut down on Rodrik/Asher's screentime simply because they're now determinant. I just wish Gared and Mira had less... filler-y moments. Especially Gared, because it's strange to see how suddenly the focus is off of him when the whole season has been driving toward the North Grove plot.

• Out of curiosity, what did you enjoy about it? I personally didn't like it, and thought it was pretty cringe worthy the entire way through, but everyone else is entitled to their own opinion, of course.

I am sad to hear, I personally really enjoyed and love the episode.

• is this something new about telltale???? please telltale learn from dontnod

• edited August 2015

I think it is because a lot of the scenes that some people didn't like, simply felt fitting and great and I have a great overall game experiences.

Ramsay visit to Ironrath have me on the edge, mostly because I felt what Rodrik felt, being worried about Talia's safety and on guard on what sick mind game Ramsay has planned. Also, I love the protective scene where Rodrik put his arms around Talia, cover her face and telling her not to look, like a big brother would do.

The traitor scene just felt great for me, because I was again on the edge on who the traitor was and the amazing voice acting with Rodrik and Duncan just made the scene very emotional and good in my opinion.

Asher winning the loyalty of the pit fighters by appealing to their bloodlust and thirst for a fight, after a great fight with Bloodsong. It was the first time, that I felt that Asher lived up to his reputation as an hotheaded and aggressive warrior. I was personally also very into the scene, because I felt the same way.

The final choice between the two brothers was heart-breaking but also satisfying to me. For me, having Asher sacrifice his life for his elder brother, felt like a choice he wouldn't hesitate to act on. So, I ended the episode feeling sad but satisfied with Asher's conclusion.

I agree that Gared's and Mira's story didn't get any memorable moments, but there weren't anything in their story that annoyed me.

Out of curiosity, what did you enjoy about it? I personally didn't like it, and thought it was pretty cringe worthy the entire way through, but everyone else is entitled to their own opinion, of course.

• Season 5 of GOT was also terrible. Look at the entirety of Dorne.

You want the good girl, but you need the bad poooosey.

• Yep...I gotta agree on that one. God...that line.

At least the chick who said it has a nice body, if you know what I mean. ;)

LeFedore posted: »

Season 5 of GOT was also terrible. Look at the entirety of Dorne. You want the good girl, but you need the bad poooosey.

• One aspect of this season that I find irksome is... we were told in the very first scene of episode one how important the north grove is... but we've spent five episodes playing this game and we still don't know where it is, much less whether we are going to make it there. It feels as if they are just dithering around. I want forward progression. I'm not even sure if we will make it. What's in this frickin' grove, and how is it going to help the Forresters?
    Another thing that bugs me is that they feel the need to kill off so many characters. This isn't TWD. Even the Starks managed to lose fewer people in the first season than the Forresters. In the first season only Ned dies, and Bran is severely injured. We haven't even finished season one of this game and already three of our characters are dead and likely whoever we didn't choose to stay will die. That makes four in ONE season. Some people are saying that the determinant is probably going to die too, and I'm not very optimistic that this won't be the case. I really hated having to choose between Rodrick and Asher, and think that their death was very unnecessary.
    And then there are all these loose ends. What about our choices with Mira? What happens if we steal from Margaery? What if we keep Tyrion's decree? So on and so forth... I found episode five to be very unsatisfying because of the lack of answers to some of the issues from earlier episodes. It's like that old adage: To quote Chekhov: "Remove everything that has no relevance to the story. If you say in the first chapter that there is a rifle hanging on the wall, in the second or third chapter it absolutely must go off. If it's not going to be fired, it shouldn't be hanging there."... I saved Bowen in the first episode. What happened to him? As Ethan I was merciful to the thief. Did that make the small-folk more loyal?
    Also, I hated how short and seemingly pointless Gared's and Mira's scenes seemed to be. I wanted something more definitive with Gared's scene. At the very least, I wanted him to be able to convince Sylvi to reveal the general whereabouts of that danged grove, maybe get some directions. I like Cotter, but I don't need him along. I just want to find the effing grove. As far as Mira's scene went... I wanted more interaction with Morgryn. Or to be able to do something about Andros. Maybe find out more info about who was trying to kill her. Or find out who Tom's boss is.
    Gaaaahgh. Just, overall, very frustrated with the whole episode.

• no, but don't deny that life is strange have better writing and choices matter, K?????

• Well that's just plainly not true.

• but don't deny that life is strange have better writing and choices matter

Ok, I deny it. There are some moments of good writing, but for the most part, I've found the writing of Life is Strange to be God awful and almost unbearable, whether it's the cringeworthy dialogue, to the undeveloped and stereotypical characters, to the pacing of the series, it hasn't been very good. As for the choices, I will say it does better than TWD S2 and TWAU, but I still think Tales and TWD S1 have done much better in the choice department, LiS really hasn't done anything to impress me with its choices, I would say they are on the same level as Telltale when it comes to the choices having an impact.

no, but don't deny that life is strange have better writing and choices matter, K?????

• edited August 2015

None of the characters are stereotypes beyond their episode 1 presentation, which is the point of most high school stories. Clique-dismembering, etc.

Telltale is better than Dontnod at some things. Dontnod is better than Telltale at some things - one is not better than or equal to the other in every single respect, and to argue such is to wrestle with reality.

Some of Telltale's plot inconsistencies have an incredibly obvious cause which Life is Strange suffers not from - Telltale's games have stories written by anywhere from 4-7 main writers, each of whom take it in turn to write chapters. Life is Strange has had one or two people - the same people - in charge of the plot direction since day one. It's logical that a book written by one woman or man shall be more consistent than a book written by 6 or 7.

Dontnod also has more mastery over their engine - that a smaller studio than Telltale can put out episodes regularly twice as long as Telltale's is very impressive, and they deserve recognition on that front.

Both companies excell at some things, both companies have things they need to work on. And in my personal opinion, Dontnod has made more progress with respect to their flaws in 4 episodes than Telltale has in the 23 they have released since A New Day.

but don't deny that life is strange have better writing and choices matter Ok, I deny it. There are some moments of good writing, bu

• Season 5 was great, only thing bad about it was Dorne. And even Dorne had couple of good moments.

LeFedore posted: »

Season 5 of GOT was also terrible. Look at the entirety of Dorne. You want the good girl, but you need the bad poooosey.

• I've enjoyed the hell out of this series, but yes, episode 4 and 5 felt completely rushed. I feel like they were just trying to logically lead us to the finale that they've had planned the whole time, episode 6 should be good.

• edited August 2015

i have no problem with the dialogue,

i dare every telltale fan to talk about the writing actually, GOT is Plot holes, TWDG 2 all of it a freaking plot holes

and by the way, Life is strange and the dialogue has been improved in episode 4

to the undeveloped and stereotypical characters

hahahah really???? what about TWDG when a group of adults following a 11 year old girl???? with no undeveloped characters

life is strange has a strong character development even in side characters

but don't deny that life is strange have better writing and choices matter Ok, I deny it. There are some moments of good writing, bu

• EP4 was rushed? I don't know about that it was a lot of peoples favourite EP.

I've enjoyed the hell out of this series, but yes, episode 4 and 5 felt completely rushed. I feel like they were just trying to logically lead us to the finale that they've had planned the whole time, episode 6 should be good.

• edited August 2015

The only characters I have seen get some actual development were Chloe, Kate, and Victoria (and most of her development came in the last episode). All of the other kids remain pretty much typical high school stereotypes.

Telltale is better than Dontnod at some things. Dontnod is better than Telltale at some things - one is not better than or equal to the other in every single respect, and to argue such is to wrestle with reality.

I agree with that and I do feel that people should really stop trying to compare the two and make threads saying how "Telltale should learn from LiS," or "Which is better, Telltale or LiS." It does get really annoying.

Flog61 posted: »

None of the characters are stereotypes beyond their episode 1 presentation, which is the point of most high school stories. Clique-dismember

• enter image description here

I enjoyed the episode too and it really sadeness and confuses me when people start making these kind of threads. I know Telltale games games have their ups and down but we shouldn't judge a game by only a few bad scenes. If a game makes me feel the pain of the characters in it, makes me emotional, then it's a game worth playing and paying for.

I think it is because a lot of the scenes that some people didn't like, simply felt fitting and great and I have a great overall game experi

• edited August 2015

I won't deny it's gotten better, but it's still there and remains a problem with the game. And yes, Episode 4 improved on a lot of the game's problems, I've even said that I liked that episode and thought it was great, but that doesn't change my opinion on the series as a whole because you had three mediocre episodes (in my opinion of course) before that. TWD S2 didn't have them following an 11 year old girl, it's not like they said, "Clem you lead this group." They may have asked for her opinion on something, but it's not like they made her the fucking leader nor was she calling the shots, the majority of the time Kenny was doing that. With the exception of the wind turbine, everything else was pretty much stuff she had to do. In Episode 3, she had to be the one to get the radio, she was the smallest, the lightest, and could easily sneak around, the same reasons why she had to turn the PA speakers on. Are we forgetting all the stuff she did in Season 1 as well, including sneaking through the air duct at the St. John's, or the doggy door in Savannah, or the train depot in Long Road Ahead, or how she somehow dragged Lee into a jewelry store in the final episode. Yes S2 had some undeveloped characters, but that's also due to shortened episodes and lack of hubs, which Life is Strange doesn't suffer from. If you like the series, that's fine and I'm glad you found a game you enjoy, I'm just offering my two cents on the subject.

i have no problem with the dialogue, i dare every telltale fan to talk about the writing actually, GOT is Plot holes, TWDG 2 all of it a

• edited August 2015

I enjoy TTG games more than Life is Strange. In LiS I really don't care about the characters, the writing is shit and the episodes are too long and get too boring. I still think TTG are №1 in story-driven and interactive games.

is this something new about telltale???? please telltale learn from dontnod

• thank you, everyone have the right to say their opinion.

I won't deny it's gotten better, but it's still there and remains a problem with the game. And yes, Episode 4 improved on a lot of the game'

• quantic dream is better

FetchWalker posted: »

I enjoy TTG games more than Life is Strange. In LiS I really don't care about the characters, the writing is shit and the episodes are too long and get too boring. I still think TTG are №1 in story-driven and interactive games.

• shut up for a second....GEEZ

• Episode 5 is flat out AWFUL writing hiding behind the GOT name

I think you mean: Season 5 of the show

Anyway...

1. The Ramsay scene is not filler. Up till this time, we've been tip toeing around and trying to find a way to win this war without upsetting the Boltons. Ramsay gave that to us, and said "the best House will stand." Now we can prepare to destroy the Whitehills and not have any repercussions from above
    2. The Elite Soldiers weren't nothing, they were smart. If they tried to kill the Warden of the North's son, they would have gotten in just a little bit of trouble. Just a little, you know what I'm saying?
    3. Mira's scenes have been leading up from Ep4 and 5 this whole time to something big in Ep6, I'm pretty sure thats fairly obvious from the dip in her screen time from Ep1-3.

All in all, people complain too much. You guys expect some grand story on par with the books. Sorry to disappoint, but whatever. I think Telltale has done a great job with this game and Ep5 is my favorite one in the series so far.

• I dunno, Ep 4 is my favourite episode.

I've enjoyed the hell out of this series, but yes, episode 4 and 5 felt completely rushed. I feel like they were just trying to logically lead us to the finale that they've had planned the whole time, episode 6 should be good.

• Why should he? He's bringing up all valid points and either way it's his opinion.

shut up for a second....GEEZ

• Better? The only game I enjoyed of quantic dream was Heavy Rain. Indigo Prophecy is a MESS, I don't know how else to describe it, and Beyond two souls is boring with uninteresting characters.

quantic dream is better

• K

Better? The only game I enjoyed of quantic dream was Heavy Rain. Indigo Prophecy is a MESS, I don't know how else to describe it, and Beyond two souls is boring with uninteresting characters.

• why you're mad????

Why should he? He's bringing up all valid points and either way it's his opinion.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.