Gregor vs Ludd

I don't know if this has ever been posted but I find both Gregor and Ludd's way of dealing with bullying quite interesting.

Lady Forrester, when talking to Ethan about the miller's boy, says that she wanted to intervene but Gregor said "Ethan must learn to fight his own battles."

Gwyn, when talking to Rodrik about Gryff being bullied by his older brothers, says that Ludd always protected Gryff "A Whitehill is still a Whitehill.'

I'm sure Gregor is just putting emphasis on the words of House Forrester but I just think that it's an interesting contrast to how Ludd deals with bullying.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• edited August 2015

NO LUDD MUST DIE ALL WHITEHILL MUST DIE RARGH RARGH ME MAN

(Yeah Ludd isn't all bad)

• So in reality Ludd is a better father for sticking up for his children while Gregor let's them be beat on

• Well the thing is the situations, while they both involve bullying they are different. By this I mean that:

Ethan was being bullied by the miller's boy (not a family member). I am of the opinion that Gregor was trying to be 'cruel to be kind'. He wanted Ethan to learn to stand up for himself and become stronger and more confident as a result. In the GOT universe, all boys and men of noble houses are expected to be 'strong and brave'. Or at least be seen to appear as such. If other houses perceive you to be weak, then your survival and the survival of your house is at risk!

Griff on the other hand was picked on and shunned by his brothers. I don't think they would've done him any real physical harm, but he would obviously be affected mentally and emotionally. Remember the Whitehill family picture, there was Ludd, his wife (who was heavily pregnant), his sons and Gwyn. We know that Griff is the 4th born son and it is heavily implied (at least to me) that Ludd's wife was pregnant with Griff and that maybe she didn't survive child birth. So if you take this into account, this was most likely why his brothers gave him a hard time, they way they probably saw it was, basically their mother died to bring him into the world. So Ludd reminds them that Griff is still a Whitehill and that he should be treated as anyone else who is apart of the family. I doubt Ludd would want to encourage fighting between siblings even if it was the case that Griff was just standing up to them and defending himself. If it had been anyone outside of the family he may have told Griff to knock his teeth out.

• edited August 2015

Tyrion told Mira that he met Gregor at Lannisport and that he striked him as honourable man in episode 1, and Tyrion has wits, smarts and is a good judge of character, so Gregor was not a bad guy. I think everyone in his family loved him (except maybe Asher). Just like Hayley said, I think Gregor was just trying toughen up Ethan, who in my opinion, seems more like a guy who avoids fights and trouble. Even Ryon has balls to stand up to Ludd when he was held hostage. Rodrik and Asher knew how to stand up for themselves so maybe Gregor wanted the same for Ethan. However, Ethan was indeed brave for leading a House that is falling down and saving his sister from that plot-armored bastard Ramsay.

I think Ludd, even if he is an asshole, was a good parent. I bet he was even a different person before his wife died, as Gwyn told that Ludd never smiled after his wife's death. I also think Ludd kind of spoiled Gryff since he was the youngest, which might explain why Gryff acts like a total douchebag.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.