Activation on Steam (preorder)

edited December 2010 in Tales of Monkey Island
I've preordered the game and already downloaded. Can I activate it on Steam? (I've tried the code on my e-mail, to no avail)

Comments

• edited July 2009
    I would also like to be able to activate my copy on steam. I know it's possible since you are able to activate non steam verison's of UT3 on it. So don't say it simply isn't possible Telltale when Epic Games proved it is. Of course I just want to see my playtime of the game which will be pretty fast now that I beat it last night.

Also to the TC if you were able to do what your trying to do, you would in sense be getting the same game twice. You would be able to give a copy to a friend but letting them play on your telltale account and/or steam account.

However what I want to happen is just working something out that will turn my copy into a steam copy, thus still only having one copy. Like retail UT3 users could do.
  • edited July 2009
    Not possible unless Telltale forks over the cash for steam to handle the bandwidth and management of copies bought outside of steam. Not gonna happen.
  • edited July 2009
    TestType wrote: »
    Not possible unless Telltale forks over the cash for steam to handle the bandwidth and management of copies bought outside of steam. Not gonna happen.

Then explain to me why Steam has it for sale. The pricing is exactly the same too so...
  • edited July 2009
    fire2box wrote: »
    Then explain to me why Steam has it for sale. The pricing is exactly the same too so...

nobody knows why they sell some games on steam and dont want to sell us monkey island there ... nobody knows why you cant activate your games on steam too ... perhaps one day in a far future somebody from telltale games will give us an answer???
  • edited July 2009
    Those sales are separate, like most steam-games are. The outside-activation thing you're talking about is somewhat limited, according to the "Retail CD-keys" entry at support.steampowered.com, only these games can be activated:

Valve Games, Alpha Prime, Dark Messiah, Dawn of War Soulstorm, Dawn of War II, Defense Grid, Empire: Total War, F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin, Football Manager 2009, GTI Racing, GTR Evolution, The Last Remnant, Lost Planet: Extreme Conditions (but not Colonies Edition), MLB Front Office Manager, NBA 2K9, Prey, RACE - the WTCC Game, RACE 07, Ragdoll Kung Fu, Railworks, Red Orchestra, SiN Episodes: Emergence, Saint's Row 2, The Ship, Silent Hill Homecoming, Speedball 2 - Tournament, STCC - The Game, Unreal Tournament 3, Velvet Assassin, Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009

As you can see, no Telltale games on that list, actually, quite few games on that list, so It's more an exception rather than a rule if the game at hand happens to be on it. With Steam showing around 714 available titles for purchase overall, doing some quick guesswork and estimation, that means that less than 10% of all games on steam can be activated from a retail key.

Besides I don't see a problem here at all, download the game from telltale (which has more or less the same limitations, that is you can download and play on more or less any computer you want to play on), then add a shortcut in steam.
  • edited July 2009
    Steam and Telltale store are two completely different things, there is no reason why you should be be able to activate it on Steam if you bought it from Telltale.
    Can you activate Direct2Drive games on Steam? No. Same goes here.
  • edited July 2009

Yes, did I ever say otherwise? It's the same price there of course, except Valve takes a cut of that for profit and steam services; bandwith, support, etc.
    So if companies want customers to be able to activate their games on steam that are bought elsewhere, they also have to pay for this for those copies. In order for this to happen Telltale has to make some sort of deal with Valve and pay them for this service. So far only a select few companies have done this.
    chrisweb wrote: »
    nobody knows why they sell some games on steam and dont want to sell us monkey island there ... nobody knows why you cant activate your games on steam too ... perhaps one day in a far future somebody from telltale games will give us an answer???

It's well known, see above.
  • edited July 2009

It's a few quid more on Steam here in the UK

But yeah I wish I had bought it on Steam so I can view my playtime and what not. Wouldn't have got the pre-order bonuses though so swings and roundabouts!
  • edited July 2009
    OH GREAT ... they now sell it on steam, i really hate telltale games for that, i wrote them an email an asked them if they would sell it on steam ...

emily from telltale games replied this to me:

"I don’t know what the plans are for Tales of Monkey Island on Steam. Even if the game does show up on Steam, though, the pre-order bonuses and the Collector’s DVD at the end of the season are only available to customers who buy the games from Telltalegames.com, so if those are important to you, I suggest placing a pre-order with Telltale."

i thought they not gonna sell it on steam, so i preordered here, now its on steam but i cant activate it there, im really frustated!!!
  • edited December 2010
    Well, it's still not to late to let us activate our Tales of Monkey Island on steam.

http://www.wolfire.com/humble

The Humble bundle #1 got steam activation codes for all 5 of it's games and I highly doubt Valve/steam got a pretty penny for it. Also since this topic was made Telltale and Valve have been in bed together quite a bit (See TF2 cross promotions.)
  • edited December 2010
    Well, it's still not to late to let us activate our Tales of Monkey Island on steam.

http://www.wolfire.com/humble

The Humble bundle #1 got steam activation codes for all 5 of it's games and I highly doubt Valve/steam got a pretty penny for it. Also since this topic was made Telltale and Valve have been in bed together quite a bit (See TF2 cross promotions.)

Let me rest this once and for all:

NO, YOU WILL NOT GET STEAM CODES
    The promotions were for TF2 items for new releases. The only reason the Humble Indie Bundle got codes was because it was for charity and not for-profit. You spent money on the Telltale product, so don't complain if you want a different version of the product. I don't buy an Xbox and complain it won't play Super Mario Galaxy.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.