So who WERE the guys in the trailer?

edited July 2006 in Sam & Max
Considering all the picking apart they received, I'm surprised no one's been able to place the voice actors behind Sam and Max in Telltale's trailer. The FAQ page suggests that they were fairly accomplished, and I'm interesting in knowing who they are. So, what are their names? Surely that's not something that requires secrecy?

Comments

• EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2006
    Any guesses? ;)
  • edited July 2006
    Jake Rodkin and Dave Grossman? :D
  • edited July 2006
    Any guesses? ;)

Jim Ward & Mike Nelson.
  • edited July 2006
    Lindsay Lohan. Both of them.
  • edited July 2006
    There are two Lindsay Lohans?

It's bad enough there are two Ashley Olsens.
  • edited July 2006
    Patric Stewart and Michael Dorn?
  • edited July 2006
    Scott Baio and ralph macchio?
  • edited July 2006
    12 and a ½!
    edited July 2006
    To quote one of my favorite possum kids: "Cold cold cold!"

:D
  • edited July 2006
    // spins around and takes 2 jumps forward //

How about now?
  • edited July 2006
    To quote one of my favorite possum kids: "Cold cold cold!"

:D

brendan q ferguson... guy who did the voice of dudebrough?
    edited July 2006
    Nah. But both Sam's voice and Max's voice have appeared in other Telltale games.

I'll tell eventually. Just want to see if anyone can figure it out first. :))
  • edited July 2006
    Okay, I'm venturing an educated guess here... Andrew Chaikin and David W. Collins?
  • edited July 2006
    Okay then, my bet's on J.S. Gilbert for Sam and David Nowlin for Max.
  • edited July 2006
    Okay then, my bet's on J.S. Gilbert for Sam and David Nowlin for Max.
    I think you might be right for Sam there. No idea who the other guy is though, heh.
  • edited July 2006
    Scott Baio and ralph macchio?

The greatest team-up of ALL time B-)
  • edited July 2006
    As much as everyone seems to have fussed about their voices, I found them perfectly fitting for Sam and Max! Though it does always sound odd to me when Sam doesn't speak with his gruff, deep voice from the cartoon.

Anyway, I've only played the demo of the first Bone game, but I'm going to assume the actor who played Phoney plays one of the daring duo. Sounds kind of similar to me.
  • edited July 2006
    Teller and Harpo.
    edited July 2006
    So far Udvarnoky's closest. You're 50% right. :D

EDIT: JP - I like the new avatar!
  • edited July 2006
    Okay, I've got it. Udvarnoky's got Max right, and Sam is... Robert L. Jackson (or Roger, IMDB isn't sure about it, anyway, the guy who played Alvie in the Great Cow Race).
    edited July 2006
    You're 50% right, too. :D

Max was voiced by David Nowlin, otherwise known as Fone Bone.

You might be surprised to learn who Sam was... any more guesses?
  • edited July 2006
    Crikey, I was wrong? Well, in that case, I'm going with Kerry Rose.
  • edited July 2006
    Okay, I may be mad... Doug Boyd's Sam? :D
  • edited July 2006
    Okay, I may be mad... Doug Boyd's Sam? :D
    I thought he had already been mentioned, but no! I did notice similarities in the voice though. I think you're spot on (I'd have picked him, but I thought someone else already had [:">])
  • edited July 2006
    Am I one of them?
  • edited July 2006
    You're 50% right, too. :D

Max was voiced by David Nowlin, otherwise known as Fone Bone.

You might be surprised to learn who Sam was... any more guesses?

I think he may have some fone bone residuals..max just wasn't psycho enough.. 2 boney :p
  • edited July 2006
    Okay, how about the guy who voiced Wendell?
  • edited July 2006
    I find it shameful that I can't remember the names of any of the townsfolk except Jonathan Oakes. Is Wendell the deep voiced guy with the brown waistcoat, green shirt and blue mood?
    edited July 2006
    You've got the clothing right, but you might be confusing his mood with Benedict (the depressed carnie who takes over the Cow Race game after Fone plays it the first time).

Wendell is the owner of Maude the cow, and spends most of his time hanging out inside the Barrel Haven during the game.

(I just replayed the entire thing on Friday or I probably wouldn't remember all their names!)
  • edited July 2006
    Ah, I remember him as sort of sullen (I think Phoney makes a comment to that effect), which is probably what I should have said, except that I got too clever with the colours. Somehow these things work better when you're Ross MacDonald.
  • edited July 2006
    I really like the vioces in the trailer, hope they will be in the game too, will they?
    edited July 2006
    I really like the vioces in the trailer, hope they will be in the game too, will they?

It's a possibility.

And since you guys have been so patient, I'll finally reveal who voiced Sam in the trailer............

David Nowlin. :D
  • edited July 2006
    David Nowlin did both Sam and Max? Just who does he think he is? Billy West?

He sure does get around. I remember hearing David Nowlin's "Fone Bone" voice somewhere else, too. It certainly sounded like him, at least. it was on some Nick Toons children's show kind of thing that for some reason was on Cartoon Network, with a bunch of garden gnomes doing whatever it is such creatures do. Working and playing musical instruments, or learning life lessons or something.
  • edited July 2006

It's a possibility.

And since you guys have been so patient, I'll finally reveal who voiced Sam in the trailer............

David Nowlin. :D

WHAAAAAAT? By Jove, this guy rocks. :))
    I never said anything about the voices, because I cannot judge them in the best way (English is not my mothertongue), but to be honest I like his double performance. The voices sound right to me. ;)
  • edited July 2006
    I must say i'm impressed.
    now.. that demands an in-game joke.
  • edited July 2006
    8-} The mind boggles.
  • edited July 2006
    I dont think its the greatest idea tho.. Its hard enough to get 1 of the voices down..let alone both.. and I dont think he got either right on the trailer...
    edited July 2006
    I think my favorite post someone made about the trailer voices (not sure if it was here or somewhere else) was that the guys who did the voices didn't sound like they knew each other well enough, and they needed to go on a road trip together. :))

Something to keep in mind about the these voices is that the trailer was put together fairly quickly, and there wasn't a huge amount of time for voice coaching and "getting into the role". Also, the only script he had was the trailer script. Sure, the comics and the other game are there for reference, but that's not the same as having an entire script and time to get to know your character. That's a very different scenario than voice recording for the full game, so even if he ends up doing voices in the full game, it doesn't necessarily mean his version of the voices will sound exactly the way he does in the trailer.

I think he did a great job, and I personally really like the voices he did in the trailer. I've listened to it many times and I can't tell it's the same person doing both voices, or that he's the voice of Fone Bone.
  • edited July 2006
    I hear a bit of Fone in his Max.
  • edited July 2006
    I think he did a great job, and I personally really like the voices he did in the trailer. I've listened to it many times and I can't tell it's the same person doing both voices, or that he's the voice of Fone Bone.

Ahem, I got that almost immediately. B-)
    Check my post here:
    http://www.mixnmojo.com/php/news/showfile.php?id=2057&category=telltale

But I couldn't imagine that he was Sam's voice too. Perhaps one can hate the result (I like it), but... I bow to his skills. :D
Sign in to comment in this discussion.