Which is the best Wallace and Gromit Episode?

edited July 2009 in Wallace & Gromit
Hi, I'm looking to spend my free episode voucher from my MI preorder on a episode from this series.

Which episode do you guys think is best? and most suitable and best value, from the point of view of a single purchase?

Thanks very much

Comments

• edited July 2009
    tommymac wrote: »
    Hi, I'm looking to spend my free episode voucher from my MI preorder on a episode from this series.

Which episode do you guys think is best? and most suitable and best value, from the point of view of a single purchase?

Thanks very much

"Muzzled" is my fave so far.
  • edited July 2009
    I'd say The Last Resort, but Muzzled comes a close 2nd.
  • edited July 2009
    Considering Fright of the Bumblebees is the only one I've played, I'm going to have to say Fright of the Bumblebees.
  • edited July 2009
    The Last Resort had something very special about it. I don't know what it was, but I loved it. :D
  • edited July 2009
    If I were you, I would get The Last Resort first.... But Fright of the Bumblebees is good too if you want to play them in order
  • edited July 2009
    I actually was not very fond of Fright of the Bumblebees. The ending sequence is postively amazing, but the lead up feels tedious. It's great probably as a short but I just couldn't handle it after awhile and cheated rampantly just to finish it off and progress through the story and next game.

The ending sequence is solid gold though and made up for everything leading up. Pure brilliance and sold me on the series.

But...probably best to start off with a different episode.
  • edited July 2009
    "The Last Resort" has the best story, but unfortunately also some of the most awkward puzzles ever created by Telltale (e.g. the Act II puzzle involving Winnie Gabberley). The story of "Muzzled" may be less intriguing and more straight-forward, but as a whole gaming experience, it beats "The Last Resort"
  • edited July 2009
    Randulf wrote: »
    "The Last Resort" has the best story, but unfortunately also some of the most awkward puzzles ever created by Telltale (e.g. the Act II puzzle involving Winnie Gabberley). The story of "Muzzled" may be less intriguing and more straight-forward, but as a whole gaming experience, it beats "The Last Resort"

Everybody bitched & bitched about Telltale not adding more difficult puzzles that require actually think & when they do, people still bitch. I'm so confused....
  • edited July 2009
    Everybody bitched & bitched about Telltale not adding more difficult puzzles that require actually think & when they do, people still bitch. I'm so confused....

It's because some people want puzzles to be straight forward so the the story can progress quickly, or really struggle with some types of puzzles. Other people want to have even the simplest of puzzles to use the most twisted, multi-leveled logic so they can really be tested.

[not serious]The trick is to balance the difficulty so that the same number of people complain for easier puzzles as they do for harder ones. :p[/not serious]
  • edited July 2009
    My gripe with that particular puzzle is that it is contrived: it does not look natural, but rather puzzle for the sake of puzzle. The puzzle, as may be recalled, requires Wallace to
    say something to console a distraught Mrs Gabberly, and he does so by making comments (on items on a table) which Gabberly somehow interpreted as sagely advices or words of encouragement
    . The task itself is easy enough, but the resulting conversation does not sound natural at all.

A difficult, bring crushing puzzle (or even a logic-defying one) does not necessary make a game bad, as long as the player feels he is still "in" the story. But puzzles that generate bad dialogues break the storytelling spell. I cannot say for anyone else, but I get no satisfaction or sense of achievement solving that particular puzzle.

I'm not criticizing its difficulty or the amount of thinking it calls for. There is no need to get defensive on a company's behalf.
  • edited July 2009
    Randulf wrote: »
    The task itself is easy enough, but the resulting conversation does not sound natural at all.

That's the point. Wallace don't know what to say to her as he obviously don't know her that well. The same thing happened in part 1 where she needed help with her husband. He's grasping for something to say at all and is inspired by the items on the table. The morale, I think, is that it's not important that you have something clever to say as long as you say anything nice.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.