Is Lyman the third cousin to Cersei, Jaime, and Tyrion or Tywin and Kevan?

Title states all. It wasn't explicitly clear, as though I would normally believe about Lyman being Cersei, Jaime, and Tyrion's third cousin, but Morgryn states he is a third cousin, but Tywin is the current lord. Perhaps it's my paranoia, but you know.

Comments

• edited August 2015

According to my World of Ice and Fire...

Joanna Lannister was Tywin's first cousin. Her father, Jason Lannister, was Tytos Lannister's brother. Jason had a bunch of kids, including two females and two males that curiously are only listed as "descendants" in the books. Lyman could have come from that branch.

I mean, looking at their genealogy, I can't find any other place to put Lyman on (that he would keep the Lannister surname).

I was thinking, maybe he is a Lannister of Lannisport and not of Casterly Rock?

• I did a master post on this, but the Lannister family is different in the show than the books. Third cousins share great-great-grandfathers. I'm looking to see if Lyman is either Tywin or Tyrion's third cousin, because reasons.

Here's is the link to it:

https://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/87224/details-that-people-might-forget-don-t-notice-or-just-don-t-know-about-got-edition/p39

Abeille posted: »

According to my World of Ice and Fire... Joanna Lannister was Tywin's first cousin. Her father, Jason Lannister, was Tytos Lannister's br

• edited August 2015

Ohh I will read it. I have no idea of how their genealogy is on the show or that it was different from the one on the books.

I read it, and I was thinking that Lyman could be the son of one of Joanna's unnamed brothers, although there is no register of them having any children (there is no register of their names even, so I wonder if they died on birth or something. If that's not the case, it might be where Lyman came from). He would still retain the Lannister surname on that case.

I did a master post on this, but the Lannister family is different in the show than the books. Third cousins share great-great-grandfathers.

• edited August 2015

He can't be a Lannister from Lannisport, because that is a distinct, and separate house, which split off from the main House Lannister of CR back in the Age of Heroes, so it is not a cadet branch, and not directly related to the Lannisters of Casterly Rock. If he is a third cousin, he must be from a branch of the Casterly Rock Lannisters, probably going back a few generations, again depending on whether he is Tywin or Tyrion's third cousin. He can't be descended from Jason Lannister, though, because I think that would make them first cousins, or at least the same degree of seperation as there was between Tywin and Joanna, who was his first cousin, descended from Jason.

• edited August 2015

If a female descendant of the Casterly Rock Lannisters married a male Lannister from Lannisport, Lyman could still be related to them and have the surname while not being a Lannister of Casterly Rock. The lack of registers would be easier explained too, since these people don't get nearly as much exposition.

Jpork18 posted: »

He can't be a Lannister from Lannisport, because that is a distinct, and separate house, which split off from the main House Lannister of CR

• Yes, but if that happened, Lyman and his family would still probably live at Casterly Rock, like how Genna lives at the Rock, even though she married Emmon Frey. What I meant in my original comment was that it is unlikely he is a Lannister of Lannisport, because then he would not be related to Tywin or Cersei. If he had a Lannister of the Rock as his mother, and a Lannisport Lannister as a father, he would still be considered a Casterly Rock Lannister, because he would have grown up nad lived in the rock, since I doubt his mother, whoever she may be in this hypothetical situation, would want her son to be born into the lesser house, when the Rock is large enough to house multiple branches of the main Lannister House, since it is the size of a city.

Abeille posted: »

If a female descendant of the Casterly Rock Lannisters married a male Lannister from Lannisport, Lyman could still be related to them and ha

• Yeah I agree with that it makes sense.

Jpork18 posted: »

Yes, but if that happened, Lyman and his family would still probably live at Casterly Rock, like how Genna lives at the Rock, even though sh

Sign in to comment in this discussion.