So..when's the next season of Sam & Max?

edited March 2014 in Sam & Max

I mean TWD and Fables is pretty cool and all but I can't wait for more Sam & Max. :(

Comments

• wouldn't hold my breath on it.

• Don't expect one for the next couple of years. We all hope for one someday, though.

• Not happening.

• Why not. :'(

WalterRuss posted: »

Not happening.

• edited March 2014

well, to be honest, telltale is making a whole lot of money with TWD and are working on a GoT game, that will have to potential to double their profit. And then there is this Sam and Max game, which I have never even heard of before and I just take a look at the artwork and feel like "I don't really want to know". I know I am not even giving this series a chance and that such behavior isn't fair at all, but chances are that I am not the only one who thinks that way. So from Telltale's point of view: Why should they bother their lazy asses with developing a game for some oldschool pre-TWD Telltale fans when they can easily make enough (and possibly even more) money with TWD and GoT? Even if all oldschool fans would leave Telltale behind in disappointment, TWD and GoT are almost certain to draw twice as many people back in and will possibly even keep them here for a couple of seasons, ensuring lots of precious $$ for the company.

The only way I see them working on this is either when they finally expand (hire more staff to do more work - and even then they would still focus more on TWD and GoT) or when TWD and GoT are not hauling in enough cash anymore, so they try to milk all their franchises until they completely bleed out. Sort of what Square Enix is currently doing with every franchise they own. Final Fantasy most of all.

Kolgax posted: »

Why not.

• Yes yes all the negative and bleak outlooks were also seen on my speculation/suggestion thread in 2010. I'm starting to think most telltale fans are going emo. But I'll tell you the best way for sparking interest in the series, good old fashioned non-sexist Mad Men marketing tactics. That what got me into the series ages ago. It was actually the commercial for season 2 "What's New Beelzebub". Hipsters today would love to see our furry pals solve cases. Just have to take the right angle. I bet a few instagram channels and a meme can increase interest ten fold.

• How about we start a movement to get Telltale to drop Sam & Max and let someone who cares about the franchise to pick up the torch? Surely there are many game companies who could do the franchise right by another game. From the statements of people here at Telltale, it's obvious they only care about owning the rights and using the characters as cameos in games like "Poker Night." The days of a point and click Sam & Max adventure at Telltale have gone the way of the Dodo. It's Zombie stories from here on out. C'mon Telltale show some integrity and respect for the fans that kept you running until you decided to kick Sam & Max fans in the nuts.

• Whilst I don't have the contract in my hands to examine, I don't believe Telltale has a lock on Sam & Max games as LucasArts once had. Steve Purcell controls those rights, so would be able to grant them to someone else, should another viable company make a persuasive enough pitch for them. The hard part is, if Telltale isn't currently interested, who would be?

How about we start a movement to get Telltale to drop Sam & Max and let someone who cares about the franchise to pick up the torch? Sur

• I'm telling you they can market the series like bread and butter at a southern BBQ. People today love a twist in crime drama now just make it like those stupid HBO shows that hipsters love so much and BAM. Your fan base sky rockets.

• We might see stand alone episodes, but whole season is unlikely at the moment.

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/30/telltale-games-talks-star-wars-dream-ip-and-its-future

Bruner also emphasized, "We love Sam & Max and certainly haven't forgotten about them! I think you'll see something smaller (more like Poker) than a full Season, and probably not for a bit, but we have NOT forgotten about them, we've just been super busy growing like crazy."

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited June 2014

I'm personally happy that Telltale is keeping Sam & Max in video games (and as the co-stars of those games no less, as opposed to cameo characters, to which the Walking Dead characters in Poker Night 2 were regulated). There's no reason every Sam & Max video game has to be an adventure game, because unlike, say, Monkey Island, Sam & Max started out as comic book characters, and those comics had the duo do just about everything (from shopping for groceries to traveling to the moon). So, the characters fit just as well just hanging out in a speakeasy playing poker as they do traveling across time and space to keep the true evil from taking over hell.

Telltale also never explicitly said there would never be any more Sam & Max adventure games, just that we probably wouldn't get any more Sam & Max games for a while (which is OK by me, since we got the last Sam & Max game only last year, and the last adventure game in 2010, which is a lot less time than the space between Hit the Road and Season One, or even Hit the Road and the cancellation of Freelance Police).

And, to be fair, Telltale does have a lot on their plate. Tales from the Borderlands and Game of Thrones are coming out this year, and if the rumors are true (started by Christopher Lloyd himself mentioning he was voicing Doc in more Telltale Back to the Future episodes at the Fan Expo in Canada), Back to the Future: Season Two will be coming out soon (if it is in production, I wouldn't be surprised if they're aiming for 2015 since that would fit in the series timeline perfectly). They haven't announced The Walking Dead: Season Three yet (they already announced season two around the time episode two of season one was released), so it's even possible that they're postponing their Walking Dead series as well (as they did previously for the third season of Sam & Max) since they've got so much going on at the moment.

How about we start a movement to get Telltale to drop Sam & Max and let someone who cares about the franchise to pick up the torch? Sur

• You actually do raise a decent point, although maybe not very tactfully.

Telltale appears to be shifting its core audience. I try as hard as I can to care about TWD, GoT, or Fables, but I really just can't enjoy the two that are out. The source material's fine, but I'm not very big on Telltale's take. I see the art here and get excited, I still like to listen to the soundtracks, etc. But I look over at what's happening now and it's just...eh. Not my cup of tea.

Point being: it's understandable that there's this growing divide. What used to be their favorite franchise (seriously, check this site out on The Wayback Machine sometime) is beginning to grow all old and moldy while Telltale shifts into more accessible games and franchises. It's not like Homestar Runner is obscure, but you can probably guess how it'll match up vs. some Borderlands whatnots. Then again, seems like the old franchises (and Universal, for that matter) are the evergreen types. The current crop might not sell as well, come five years from now.

well, to be honest, telltale is making a whole lot of money with TWD and are working on a GoT game, that will have to potential to double th

• Well, Telltale seems to have a legacy for doing one or two seasons of something then moving on... Given all the irons they had in the fire at the time Season 3 came out, I'm actually still surprised that we even got that third season when we did.

Even their wildly popular walking dead game, I would not be shocked if that only lasted for another season before they abandon it as well... That's just how they roll, they burn through 2-3 IP's a year and never come back to them.

It's not really a good thing or a bad thing... But I do agree with a lot of review sites that say TT is getting to big for their own skin.
  • Ooh, now you're just getting my mind buzzing with possibilities :D I wonder what other kinds of games they'd do really well in? Aside from FPS, but according to Max, that was just Sam's opinion :3
    Jennifer posted: »

I'm personally happy that Telltale is keeping Sam & Max in video games (and as the co-stars of those games no less, as opposed to cameo

I think they'd do well in just about any genre. I always thought a Sam & Max platformer would be interesting. You could have Max be the playable character for a change since he's practically made for running and jumping. Maybe have a curse put on the duo that puts Sam's consciousness in Max, similar to how Max's was put in Sam in Bad Day on the Moon. Sam's conciousness would allow Max to remain focused enough to carry through on his goal of restoring Sam. And Max's latent psychic powers could let him get more powers for platforming as the game went on.

Honestly, the gaming possibilities for the duo are pretty much endless. :)

Ooh, now you're just getting my mind buzzing with possibilities :D I wonder what other kinds of games they'd do really well in? Aside from FPS, but according to Max, that was just Sam's opinion :3

• Mmh... So they might release Back to the Future Season 2 in 2015? Cool!
    The first season wasn't that bad, but I hope they improve this time :)

I'm personally happy that Telltale is keeping Sam & Max in video games (and as the co-stars of those games no less, as opposed to cameo

• Actually, since you mention it, there was a point I was originally gonna raise earlier, but I didn't want to ramble.

Have you noticed that TWD is the first non Sam & Max game to GET another season? The thing is, the marks of a chosen telltale franchise seemed to be characters with a timeless sort of appeal - the kind of thing that you'd likely enjoy just as much 10 years from now, as you would today, and a goofy, creator-driven sense of anything-goes.

Homestar's a perfect example of that, as is Wallace + Gromit and Monkey Island. Telltale had a good streak going, they likely could have done perfectly well with a second SBCG4AP, but the S&M were the only franchise that didn't make you ask, "would a sequel really add to the franchise, or would it just be more of the same?"

But nowadays, I feel like the current philosophy is picking what's hot now. There was a definite transitional feel during the Universal era - BTTF is an absolute classic, and it'll never get old, but it didn't really have that same natural fit. Jurassic Park, eh. I think it wasn't a bad game, it was just trying to be something that the fans didn't want it to be. And it doesn't feel like a coincidence that that film is memorable, but the characters don't quite reach that memorable status.

I just replayed Strong Badia the Free yesterday. Yeah, I love me some comedy, but even ignoring that, I just don't see TWD reaching that kind of replay value. And we're talking about a game that was touted for its player-based choices. The lack of a skip-dialog button seems like a testament to that. The game design did not account for the kind of people who'd want to click on everything, just to hear what a character would say. I don't think they've lost "it", though, and Borderlands could very well prove to be a compromise between the two styles, although I'll have to take other peoples' word for it.

(just to drive the point home more, fondly recalling the Homestarmy draft scene was my sole motivator to replay. I hadn't played any other games for months.)
    Dangerzone posted: »

Well, Telltale seems to have a legacy for doing one or two seasons of something then moving on... Given all the irons they had in the fire a

edited May 2014
    CSI was actually the first Telltale season (all of the CSI games were still a Telltale style season, but all five cases were released at once rather than monthly, like was done later with Jurassic Park) to get a sequel, even before Sam & Max. It also holds the current record for the most amount of sequels, with four seasons (each with five cases).

I've said it in another thread, but the current direction of Telltale in regards to their choosing of licenses isn't really much different than it always has been. They have their comedy games (Sam & Max, Monkey Island, and the first Poker Night prior to 2011, and Back to the Future, Borderlands, and the Poker Night sequel from 2011 onwards). And then they have their serious games with large licenses (CSI prior to 2011, and The Walking Dead and The Game of Thrones from 2011 onwards).

The only property (outside of properties that are mostly Telltale creations such as Telltale Texas Hold'em, Puzzle Agent, and Poker Night) that Telltale had licensed prior to Back to the Future in which it is even possible for them to make a new game for is Sam & Max. Wallace & Gromit sadly can't get a sequel because Telltale lost the rights (the same goes for Bone, which is a shame because even Jake Rodkin lamented the fact that Telltale no longer had the license while he still worked at Telltale, since he said current Telltale could make a great Bone game). Tales of Monkey Island is also most likely out of question, since Disney now owns LucasArts and they have currently only shown interest in licensing out the Star Wars properties. Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People is also out of the question, since homestarrunner.com was created completely by two brothers and their wives, and they're all very busy with other projects now (so much so, that the homestarrunner.com website was only just updated once this year after a hiatus of over three years). Even CSI seems unlikely, as Ubisoft has moved away from releasing CSI games for PC and console and are now releasing CSI games only for Facebook and mobile platforms.
    wellgolly posted: »

Actually, since you mention it, there was a point I was originally gonna raise earlier, but I didn't want to ramble. Have you noticed t

• If they do continue with Sam & Max games, then I hope they use the graphic style they've been using with their recent games (Borderlands, Wolf among us, etc). I think Sam & Max would translate perfectly in that way. It keeps all the "gritty-ness" of 2d drawings without sacrificing the 3d element.

• Yeah it has been over 4 years since we last saw a sam and max game. I really hope they listen to us one day.

• I hope your joking. :/
    I have no idea how they would have Sam look like in that style
    It may look good, But I think they are fine as they stand
    Plus, that would be a shit ton of new assets to make

xChri5x posted: »

If they do continue with Sam & Max games, then I hope they use the graphic style they've been using with their recent games (Borderlands

The Sam & Max games actually started out as comics, so a comic book style aesthetic like Wolf Among Us would work great. Poker Night 2 is the closest Telltale has ever gotten to making the characters look like their comic book counterparts, but there's definitely still room for improvement.

I hope your joking. I have no idea how they would have Sam look like in that style It may look good, But I think they are fine as they stand Plus, that would be a shit ton of new assets to make

• I know they have started in comics before (Not trying to be arrogant) an I just think they look even more beautiful then the comics.
    And that it shined in season 3. Also, the comic style makes it look gritty and non-colorful even though it can show off a lot of bright colors.
    Sam and max have always been colorful and full of humor, and thats why I think the first art style truly shines

The Sam & Max games actually started out as comics, so a comic book style aesthetic like Wolf Among Us would work great. Poker Night 2

• I am just getting to the final episode of my first Sam and Max game and I am really enjoying it in comparison to TWD. I think TWD is great but the further it goes on the less puzzling there is. I didn't mind the puzzling in the first TWD and it was a lot more rare to get moments where you felt "stuck" and it was emotional in a way I couldn't describe. But the second season has so little game play elements. When I started playing the other Telltale Games that are more point and click I just love going through the puzzling and moon logic involved. I just hope they eventually have another Sam and Max or even Monkey Island like game.

I have to say Sam and Max has been really wonderful so far and has been downright crazy and outlandish that I love it. It's a good break from Telltale trying to emotionally wrench us with TWD.

wellgolly posted: »

You actually do raise a decent point, although maybe not very tactfully. Telltale appears to be shifting its core audience. I try as ha

• Think its well overdue. But sadly I think there letting the ip die. I hate seeing my favorites die :(

• I don't think the series is dead yet I mean we are in the generation in of Reboots so a franchise like this only needs the right PR.

• Well, they're working on something Sam & Max related; we just don't know what it is yet. And from what my brother told me about how close before the release date they announced Poker Night 2, we'll probably be seeing the same kind of thing. No news until shortly before release. Then we can ecstatically freak out :D

MrRabbit posted: »

Think its well overdue. But sadly I think there letting the ip die. I hate seeing my favorites die

• Come on telltale give us something! If your not going to make a season 4 at least give us some stand alone episodes! Deep down I think if Borderlands does well telltale will consider some more Sam & Max...In my dreams I guess hugs my surfing the highway book

• There may be hope if you recall the Doom's Day Scenario depicted on "They stole Max's Brain". All we need to do is try and contact either TTG's bigwigs or Steve Purcell and suggest they cook up the very scenario for the new season!

• Hi, everybody.
    What's new for Sam & Max season 4 ?

edited February 2016

Telltale announced back in 2013 that a new Sam & Max game would be coming. It might just be one episode, but there's a chance that it could be more as they only said that it wouldn't be a full season, but not necessarily that it would be just one episode.

They just started making a small miniseries with The Walking Dead Michonne. They also apparently copyrighted the term "Telltale Miniseries" according to the logo), so a three episode miniseries (or something of a similar length) of Sam & Max is possible.

Sebius666 posted: »

Hi, everybody. What's new for Sam & Max season 4 ?

• I don't care if it's even just a half of a episode if it involves Sam and Max I will be so pumped for it!

• I love how you mods pretend you don't understand the question. People are asking when a new "point and click" adventure for Sam & Max is coming. I doubt if many of us care at all that they make a cameo in some other game. And while you won't say it explicitly, just tell us the truth, you'd rather do "Telltale presents: The Adventures of Jar Jar," than ever touch Sam and Max again. I wish you could just be honest and tell the fans, "sorry, we're done with you," rather than trying to fool people with "Oh, you'll see them again. We own the characters, after all."

It's all-in-all very dishonest of you.

Telltale announced back in 2013 that a new Sam & Max game would be coming. It might just be one episode, but there's a chance that it c

• Bring back Sam & Max

• I don't think you should blame the mods, all they are are moderators of this forum, they don't exactly have a say in what actually goes on at Telltale. I doubt they know anything about future projects either. With the new CEO I'm hopeful for something new for Sam & Max, its not likely, but I'm hopeful for another project someday. Try to stay in a positive light (Although the last 8 years have been pretty disappointing for S&M fans)

I love how you mods pretend you don't understand the question. People are asking when a new "point and click" adventure for Sam & Max i

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited June 2018

That's correct - moderators on the forums (without the additional "Telltale Staff" badge) are only Community Volunteers chosen from active forum users who are just regular fans. We aren't privy to what's happening behind the scenes over at Telltale, nor do we have a say in the business choices they make. :)

I don't think you should blame the mods, all they are are moderators of this forum, they don't exactly have a say in what actually goes on a

• If you look at just the artwork than you won't understand the appeal. Kinda like just looking at a picture of the Southpark kids you couldn't possibly know what the show is like. People said the point and click style of the game was dead before the last reboot and then the reboot proved them wrong giving Telltale a stepping stone into the game market they are currently thriving in. Try the game out somehow, the artwork isn't the main appeal of it. It is in a category like the show Archer is. It is more the humor and wacky characters than anything else.

especially with remasters like Grim Fandango doing fairly well, there is a market for another Sam and Max game and if TellTale doesn't want to do it they should sell the rights to double-fine who are kinda basically a Lucas arts proxy by way of game designers are the original gatekeepers of that point and click game.
    Someone should do it> TellTale has the writers to do it, but if they don't want to I can think of several people I would like given a stab at it.

well, to be honest, telltale is making a whole lot of money with TWD and are working on a GoT game, that will have to potential to double th

Sign in to comment in this discussion.