Continuation of Previous storylines, or just set in the MI world?

I remember reading a long time ago, that Ron Gilbert had originally planned Monkey Island to be a trilogy, but that his story for #3 wasn't the one used in the actual game.

Is this true, and if it is, where does the story in this one pick up?

Is it a continuation of Gilberts story from the bizarre ending to #2, or is it just a game set in the world of monkey island?

I'm dying to know! I'm so excited that I just can't hide it!

Comments

• edited June 2009
    I highly doubt this is an alternate MI3. I mean, if Ron's supposed planned out game was ever made, it would only make sense to do it if he was the project leader. My guess is that Tales of Monkey Island is likely MI5 with the previous four games being canon.
  • edited June 2009
    I suspect it's MI5 as well, since Guybrush refers to tied-up Elaine as his wife.
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah, this seems to be MI5 in episodic form. That's why I'm not quite as excited as everyone else seems to be.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm guessing Udvarnoky will be right. Though I'd prefer to see Gilbert's version, I see that it would confuse some people. If so, unfortunate, but hopefully they can still work in some of the ideas Ron had.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    We've been half-jokingly referring to the game as Monkey 6 internally, because there's a little bit of time-heals-all-[continuity]-wounds time which has elapsed between 4 and Tales, but the series takes place in main Monkey Island continuity.

Ron did have some extremely helpful stuff to contribute, but I don't think anyone will be talking about those meetings in any detail until things get later into the season.
  • edited June 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    We've been half-jokingly referring to the game as Monkey 6 internally, because there's a little bit of time-heals-all-[continuity]-wounds time which has elapsed between 4 and Tales, but the series takes place in main Monkey Island continuity.

Ron did have some extremely helpful stuff to contribute, but I don't think anyone will be talking about those meetings in any detail until things get later into the season.

Since a friend of mine posted the link, I've had 2 cans of strongbow (the closest thing I have to grog) and 2 bags of Arrowroot cookies.

You do realize that I won't be sleeping now until this thing is released?
  • edited June 2009
    eskimo wrote: »
    Since a friend of mine posted the link, I've had 2 cans of strongbow (the closest thing I have to grog) and 2 bags of Arrowroot cookies.

You do realize that I won't be sleeping now until this thing is released?

Strongbow=Win
  • edited June 2009
    Grog in a bottle? But how do you keep the pepperoni from getting stuck?
  • edited June 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    So, you guys pulled an Al Lowe on us, then.
  • edited June 2009

Do they still sell that?
  • edited June 2009
    eskimo wrote: »
    Do they still sell that?

It was a promo item so I doubt it... would be cool if they could create some specially for either Tales or SoMI SE, though I highly doubt it.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.