Ron Gilbert

edited June 2009 in Tales of Monkey Island
Hi I wanted to know is ron gilbert involved in this project in any way?

anyway great to see another Monkey Island!!

Comments

• edited June 2009
    He wasn't on the dev team but he did attend a brainstorming meeting with the dev team to come up with ideas. He's excited about it. That's good enough for me!
  • edited June 2009
    http://grumpygamer.com/8280380

Gilbert "As I mentioned above, I worked on the design."
  • edited June 2009
    Excellent!! Obviously the more involvement he has with planning the story, jokes and puzzles the better, but Ron Gilbert being involved at all makes me happy. The weird thing is, I was just saying Telltale should do this a couple of weeks ago. I want royalties! ;)
  • edited June 2009
    A couple of weeks ago? You need to look back through the forum & blog archives, my friend! :p
  • edited June 2009
    Hmm, in that case, the question is whether Telltale will be able to afford to finish the game with all the royalties they'll have to pay out? :)
  • edited June 2009
    Remember those Terms of Service you agreed to when you signed up?
    C) By posting content to any public area of TELLTALE, you automatically grant, and you represent and warrant that you have the right to grant, to TELLTALE, Inc. an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, fully-paid, worldwide license to use, copy, perform, display, and distribute such information, rights of publicity, and content and to prepare derivative works of, or incorporate into other works and other media, such information and content, and to grant and authorize sublicenses of the foregoing.

:p
  • edited June 2009
    Aha, so my external post is the only one that warrants royalties! >;)
  • edited June 2009
    It's just a bit worrying that they only mention Ron Gilbert's name once on their Monkey Island website, and that is only in reference to the original... the team credits page is a bit too void of his name for my tastes.
  • edited June 2009
    eobet wrote: »
    It's just a bit worrying that they only mention Ron Gilbert's name once on their Monkey Island website, and that is only in reference to the original... the team credits page is a bit too void of his name for my tastes.

Maybe this will make you feel better:
    The second secret is that TellTale is doing an episodic version of Monkey Island. I had the great pleasure of spending a few days with Dave Grossman, Mike Stemmle and the rest of the TellTale crew getting my head into Guybrush Threepwood again.

-Ron Gilbert
    Ron doesn't work at Telltale (he's busy making his own game with Hothead), but he's friends with a lot of Telltale folks from back in the day at LucasArts. And when he found out what we were up to with Tales of Monkey Island, he was pretty excited. In fact, early in the project he came down to our office for a few days to brainstorm ideas with our team. You can see what Ron has to say about the new series over at his Grumpy Gamer blog.

-The Faq

So while he's not on the team per se, he has a role similar to Steve Purcell's role in the Sam & Max games, it seems.
  • edited June 2009
    I've read all that and yes, they have his blessing... but again, too little involvement from him, imo.

The thing is, apart from being the only one who knows (or doesn't know) the secret, he not only brings his unique flavor of humour to his games, but he has very sensible and astute views on gameplay design.

But I guess a brainstorm is better than nothing, and he is probably very busy with Deathspank, which will hopefully be pure gold.
  • edited June 2009
    If i buy it, does Ron Gilbert benefit in any way?
  • edited June 2009
    Wel I guess playing the game will teach us if he explained "the secret" or not
  • edited June 2009
    They've already said he didn't, and that if anybody's going to tell the "real secret of Monkey Island," it's going to be Gilbert, in his game, not somebody else's game that he consults on.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.