Q&A With the Team

Comments

• edited June 2009
    I love everyone on this forum. You guys are the best!

I'm with everyone else wondering about Murray and Stan, but I also think Otis needs a little lovin'. Has he finally learned to stop picking those flowers?

Needless to say though, I'm really really looking forward to July 7. A big, red X is on the calender over that day. Most excellent!
  • edited June 2009
    wow. yesterday was a total geekgasm for me. i was hoping, praying, wishing for a remake of Secret with voicework by Dominic, and as well as that I get a whole telltale series based on my favourite adventure series with not just Dominic but a Grossman and Stemmle and with Purcell and Gilbert on the fringes.

just... wow.

anyways, love you guys, here is my question:

Woof LeChuck? Arf Arf.
  • edited June 2009
    galdab wrote: »
    Sheesh, you bunch are sure a humourless lot for comedy adventure fans.

I don't want this thread to turn into an argument, but your original post seems to dismiss peoples concerns about the control system as petty and insignificant, which in itself is provocative, unhelpful and smells troll-like.

I'm not alone in wanting the latest MI to be the best it can be, and the vast majority of MI fans agree that a 'mouse only' interface is the best way to go.

Have you played MI4? I have and the controls ruined it for me (again I'm not alone here). Yes I can 'adjust', but no I didn't enjoy playing like that when a simple feature like click-to-move would have vastly improved the experience.
  • edited June 2009
    Controls, shmontrols. So long as there is no Monkey Kombat. If I have to hear "Oop Eep Chee" one more time in my life, I think I will break things. Valuable things. I don't know specifically what, but something is getting broken.

A fighting minigame that requires a graph and rock paper scissors style rules? Blech.
  • edited June 2009
    Please, developers, answer us to the Final Question:

-What kind of controls is going to have?

Don't worry, if we are here implies that we already paid.

They've answered it in the normal forum, where they actually appear to be answering questions... 0_o

It appears that it will have the W&G mouse + keyboard control scheme =(

Oh, well at least it's being made by telltale so even if it doesn't control well it'll be a good and funny game. Personally I can't wait!
  • edited June 2009
    ohoj Ye'ol M8ies YAARRR! :cool:

will any of them "old" voice actors return?
  • edited June 2009
    I personally have absolutely nothing against the W&G controls, so fine by me.
  • BasBas
    edited June 2009
    Alright, just one thing to say here: premiering the first episode on my birthday = destiny. That can't be a coincidence, really.
  • edited June 2009
    So is it pretty much running on the Wallace & Gromit iteration of the Telltale engine, or have there been additional tweaks? And pretty much the same question for system requirements - same as W&G, or does it NEED MORE POWER, CAP'N!

(Yes, I did in fact quite enjoy the new film.)
  • edited June 2009
    Will the pre-order DVD slipcases be numbered in some way like the hardcover S&M book? For example is it possible to have too many pre-orders before July? I'd like it to be limited & numbered, just so I can gloat about it :D
  • edited June 2009
    Sorry didn't read the entire thread yet because of limited time, I just wanted to drop a small comment...

For years I have prayed that Monkey Island will come back....and I always envisioned that Telltale would be ideal after playing Bone and Sam and Max...

Now all my dreams have come true....and I am convinced that there is a God...

Please please please dear Telltale...continue the series after the first 5 episodes....please!!

Thank you Telltale for making this possible, you are now my favorite company :)

I know you can do it!!!
  • edited June 2009
    I hope we can play updated versions of the rest of the MI series! I can't wait to play the new ones! This has been a long time comming, yay!
  • ttg_Stemmlettg_Stemmle Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Hey all,

Mike Stemmle checking in here.

First of all, thanks a gazillion for pre-ordering Tales of Monkey Island! We're just staggeringly tickled that you're already on board for what we hope will be our most seriously serialized (and yet, seriously silly) adventure to date!

Right now, we're neck deep in bolting down the content for our way-too-rapidly approaching July 7th release. This morning I've got a wish list that's about a mile long that I've got to ship off to our choreographers, sound people, programmers, and artists (a.k.a., the people who do all the REAL work), so I can't stay long. But I'll answer a couple of questions that won't spoil things too much:

1) As far as we're concerned, all four Monkey Island games are canon, complete with all their rich, gooey, and occasionally indigestion-inducing continuity. Of course, that doesn't mean we'll be directly addressing all of that continuity :)
    2) Elaine and Guybrush will remain very, very married. Happily, even. Mostly.
    3) We won't be revealing the Secret of Monkey Island. That's Ron Gilbert's prerogative, and it'd be really lametacular of us to step all over it.
    4) I won't be revealing which characters show up beyond the core cast of Guybrush, Elaine, LeChuck, LeChuck, and the Voodoo Lady. That'd spoil the fun.

Finally, why does everyone abbreviate Escape from Monkey Island as "EMI," when the much funnier "EFMI" is available?

Arrrr,
    Mike "Hair Dryers + Changing Tables = Happy Babies" Stemmle
  • ttg_Stemmlettg_Stemmle Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Oh, and no Monkey Kombat. I promise. Pinky swear. I've learned my lesson, really.
  • edited June 2009
    the core cast of Guybrush, Elaine, LeChuck, LeChuck, and the Voodoo Lady

So you're telling me...LeChuck has cloned himself?!? I KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN! :D
    Finally, why does everyone abbreviate Escape from Monkey Island as "EMI," when the much funnier "EFMI" is available?

Much agreed, but I'm fairly certain it's bad practice to leave off the copyright notice. EFMI™ FTW! :cool:

I am personally unaware of the W&G mouse interface as I have not played the game. Could someone elaborate on that for me?

Oh, and Stemmie, you mention the issue of continuity: will ToMI be written within the same canonical universe? Shall the beautiful plot-holey continuity be retained? Or is this going to make silly, irrational, and unnecessary assumptions about the history invoked by the MI series?

Either way, I'd just like to say again that my reaction :eek: to discovering this was being made...far beyond words. I nearly exploded.
  • BasBas
    edited June 2009
    Excellent. Really good to see you're on the team as well.
  • edited June 2009
    4) I won't be revealing which characters show up beyond the core cast of Guybrush, Elaine, LeChuck, LeChuck, and the Voodoo Lady. That'd spoil the fun.

LeChuck and LeChuck? Why, that's twice as LeChucky as any other game ever made!
  • edited June 2009
    Hey, Private Pirates!

God that sounded so 60s. Aaaanyway, my questions are brief:

1) Will there a concept art album come out at any point?

and

2) Harder puzzles than whatever went on in your Sam'n'Max episodes? Please?
  • edited June 2009
    Oh, and no Monkey Kombat. I promise. Pinky swear. I've learned my lesson, really.

I know I'm the only human on the face of the Earth that can say this, but I enjoyed the Monkey Island mini-games. All the way from Insult Sword-fighting, Sea (Rhyming) Insult Sword-fighting, to Monkey Kombat. They're a nice little change of pace.

I suppose the catch is ending the mini-game when the player's figured out the trick, which is a different point for each person.
  • edited June 2009
    I am personally unaware of the W&G mouse interface as I have not played the game. Could someone elaborate on that for me?

It's actually a fairly minor change, which I suspect is why people are so upset TTG won't give them an option to change it back:

You can't click on the ground to move. Instead you can use the WASD keys to move your character around.

Personally, I prefer the old system but it is fairly easy to get used to. My only complaint is I can't play the new TTG games in my preferred position: Leaning back in my reclining chair, one hand on my cordless mouse. I'll survive with the keyboard.

For much drama see the W&G boards.
  • BasBas
    edited June 2009
    Here's an important question: was the infamous ropesack always going to be back and featured prominently in the trailer, or did that come along as the story progressed?
  • edited June 2009
    2) Elaine and Guybrush will remain very, very married. Happily, even. Mostly.

Aww, it's funnier when she's sick of him (like in MI2). Here's hoping for at least a trial separation during Episode 4.
  • edited June 2009

Just download the demo of W&G a few clicks away on this site ;)
  • edited June 2009
    Will Murray return? Pleeeeeease. I know you won't tell, but a tiny little hint?
  • edited June 2009
    Well, that's all I needed to hear, not that it would've helped if you said otherwise, we are in the 'clicked that shiny pre-order button without even reading ANYTHING on the page beyond the title' section after all. :P

Guy Montague: I enjoyed the sword fighting, rhyming sword fighting etc etc, but the 'eek oop ack' was just tedious (getting all the required combinations to actually win a fight was bothering me, as was having to write them all down because, unlike rhyming setups and comebacks, I certainly can't remember them) and annoying (I just can't bear the endless repetition of those sounds in the end and turned my speakers off).
  • edited June 2009
    It still feels like an april fools joke... This is by far the greatest gaming news in this decade!

I'm glad to see LucasArts realizing that adventuregames still is lucrative business, and that they actually CAN make money on other things than Star Wars.

I have a lot of questions, but i think that I'd rather find them out on my own when I play the game.

It's funny though, we've waited 9 years for this, and still 36 days seems so long:P I'm glad they didn't announce it earlier!

Again; thanks for this wonderful news, now excuse me while I'll go dancing and shouting in the streets!
  • edited June 2009
    Hi Guys! I have a question about the PC vs WiiWare versions of the game. If we pre-ordered the PC version of the game (because we like the goodies!), but would prefer to play it on the Wii instead, is there the possibility of some sort of coupon code for use on WiiWare in lieu of downloading it for the PC?
  • edited June 2009
    Well, I just want to thank the Telltale team for allowing MI to live again :)
    I don't really think I have any question at this point :P
  • edited June 2009
    How far along are you into development at the moment? Script, graphics, voices, music and so on.
    (PS: Thanks to Alex and the Telltale support team to getting me hooked up to this secret forum after troubles with the PayPal preorder)
  • edited June 2009
    Steltek wrote: »
    Guy Montague: I enjoyed the sword fighting, rhyming sword fighting etc etc, but the 'eek oop ack' was just tedious (getting all the required combinations to actually win a fight was bothering me, as was having to write them all down because, unlike rhyming setups and comebacks, I certainly can't remember them) and annoying (I just can't bear the endless repetition of those sounds in the end and turned my speakers off).

I guess that's what I mean when I say you have to end the mini-game once it's been figured out. "Ah ha! It's just rock-paper-scissors! Only there are a million different combinations, of which I have memorized three. I guess I shall determine the rest through trial and error."

If it had been a different kind of mini-game, maybe you could have jumped to the end. "Ah ha! The response has to rhyme and make sense. I believe I shall attack Rottingham now."
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    the fact that you're making TMI for the 360

The fact is, we're making the game for PC and Wii ;) We haven't talked much about the controls yet because we don't have anything fully solid to talk about. The controls won't be a SCUMM throwback, but they won't be copy and pasted from Wallace & Gromit either. More than that, you'll know when we know :)
  • edited June 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    The fact is, we're making the game for PC and Wii ;) We haven't talked much about the controls yet because we don't have anything fully solid to talk about. The controls won't be a SCUMM throwback, but they won't be copy and pasted from Wallace & Gromit either. More than that, you'll know when we know :)

Hate to break it to you, dude, but the game is coming out in like 5 weeks. You better get on that :D

(seriously just have holding down right click or middle click bring up a "d-pad coin" to walk around if you must)
    edited June 2009
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    Hate to break it to you, dude, but the game is coming out in like 5 weeks. You better get on that :D

Haha yep, and it's an adventure game, in realtime 3D. World navigation can be tweaked for longer than you think.
  • edited June 2009
    This is the best gaming news since...well, since Sam & Max, really :)
  • edited June 2009
    so.. if youre already on the streak of bringing back to life the good-old franchises...
    any chance of episodic Discworld?
    or maybe a new season of 'Simon The Sorcerer'? (to restore what left of the dignity of the series)
    and what about Broken Sword?... or Gabriel Knight?

I mean, youve brought back two of my eight 'dream adventure titles'...
    I dont ask for all of them! maybe just six or seven.
  • CezCez
    edited June 2009
    How far along are you into development at the moment? Script, graphics, voices, music and so on.
    (PS: Thanks to Alex and the Telltale support team to getting me hooked up to this secret forum after troubles with the PayPal preorder)

I played through the whole game last week for paperwork I needed to do. The game is working, feeling and looking phenomenal. Still polishing off the edges, but the team is working very hard to bring you a true follow up to the classics.

I'm one of you guys in the sense that I grew up with the series, and love it to no end. I stayed away from the game as much as I could since I wanted to have the opportunity to actually play it. And now I can say that it is a fantastic Monkey Island experience! I want MORE!

I still can't wipe the dork smile off my face. Monkey Island is back!
  • edited June 2009
    Seriously...

Monkey Island coming back is the best thing that has happened in a LOT of time... I'm so happy I'm even working at a faster pace... Although, in order to compensate, the periodic forum visits are up during work hours.... (You don't want to work too much, is bad).

Fastest preorder ever for me.... just saw monkey island in some random forum, and while listening to the main theme at the trailer, made it stop and bought it....

If you dare to do that to us again, you will loose your pinky... I swear!!!. (Not kidding) (Well, actually, yes) (No, i am crazy enough to do it).
    I'm one of you guys in the sense that I grew up with the series, and love it to no end. I stayed away from the game as much as I could since I wanted to have the opportunity to actually play it. And now I can say that it is a fantastic Monkey Island experience! I want MORE!

Argggg. I don't want even to read the reviews till 7th... And all the people that has already seen it, or played it are really excited about it feeling Monkey-Islandish enough...

I mean...the double leChuck could be accidental...or could be not.... damn......I see what you did there...
  • edited June 2009
    1. I, too, hope and pray that Earl Boen is back as LeChuck in TOMI. He brought a certain something to the role that's hard to define, but which gave LeChuck the spark that made him more than a cartoon villain. I'll have a hard time accepting anyone else in the role, methinks, and I look forward to confirmation one way or the other.

2. It's been said before, but please: higher-resolution audio, for both voice and music! It's unacceptable to me that so many adventure games these days are lossy as all get-out. Music and voice work aren't just pleasant extras, they're an integral part of the storytelling and gameplay experience. Nothing rips me out of the world/story more than bad audio. I barely got through "A Vampyre Story" due to it. I don't understand why it's considered OK to shortchange this aspect of gameplay. My fingers are crossed that TOMI will get it right.

3. Any concerns aside ... a HUGE THANK YOU to Telltale Games and LucasArts for making this happen! I've pre-ordered my copy, and am talking the franchise up to anyone who will listen. :)
  • edited June 2009
    Jake wrote: »

Oh please, for PC-Version we need a control-system with can only
    used with the mouse, no keyboard walking !!!

Another Question:

I hope a Box-Set with a german Version of TMI is avaible later??

at least...

THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO GIVE US THE CHANCE
    TO SAIL WITH GUYBRUSH AGAIN !!!
    edited June 2009
    I hope a Box-Set with a german Version of TMI is avaible later??

We've traditionally localized our games into other languages by the time they end up in a box at retail. I don't know what our plans for Monkey are, but localized releases down the road wouldn't surprise me.
This discussion has been closed.