Um, I've never played Monkey Island.

Yeah, shame on me.
Anyway, do you think I'll be able to understand it without knowledge of the others?

Comments

• edited June 2009
    According to the FAQ, yes. But you should play them anyways :P
  • edited June 2009
    You might miss some in-jokes (there were a handful like that in Sam & Max) but that'd be the only thing.
  • edited June 2009
    The special edition of The Secret of Monkey Island looks like a good place to start if you've never played a Monkey Island game before, provided it's released before the first episode of TMI.
  • edited June 2009
    I haven't played part 4 because of the controls....
    may I will during the next weeks
  • edited June 2009
    Bruno83 wrote: »
    I haven't played part 4 because of the controls....
    may I will during the next weeks

Yeah, one of my first thoughts was: "Oh dear, now i finally HAVE to buy part 4" ;) and replay the old ones.
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah, I'm also making an effort to get through Escape before the series starts. I've been kind of meaning to do it for a while actually, but the controls really are awful.

Maybe Lucasarts will remake it in the same style as SoMI SE, and give it the control scheme it was obviously always meant to have.
  • edited June 2009
    Uh... for those us who aren't wetting themselves in excitement, what's the big deal? I've heard of the game, but never played them. So what are they about? Anyone care to give a plot summary what has happened? The FAQ is less then helpful in that regard...
  • edited June 2009
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    You might miss some in-jokes (there were a handful like that in Sam & Max) but that'd be the only thing.
    What's the current bet on "Pirates of the Caribbean" jokes being in it? :D

np: Tosca - Joe Si Ha (No Hassle (Disc 1))
  • edited June 2009
    wbwolf wrote: »
    Uh... for those us who aren't wetting themselves in excitement, what's the big deal? I've heard of the game, but never played them. So what are they about? Anyone care to give a plot summary what has happened? The FAQ is less then helpful in that regard...
    Kinda buried at the very bottom of the "The Tales" page, but: *click me*...

np: Tosca - Elektra Bregenz (No Hassle (Disc 1))
  • edited June 2009
    Yellowtail wrote: »
    Yeah, shame on me.
    Anyway, do you think I'll be able to understand it without knowledge of the others?
    You have some catching up to do then.

http://www.ebay.com/
    http://www.scummvm.org/

Trust me. Do it.

Telltale, will you or LucasArts be re-releasing all of the original games (not just the one)? Please?
  • edited June 2009
    This one looks like it's very hard to fit in the timeline. Guybrush says he's married, but he's in his Monkey Island 2 character design, and LeChuck is in zombie form.
  • edited June 2009
    This one looks like it's very hard to fit in the timeline. Guybrush says he's married, but he's in his Monkey Island 2 character design, and LeChuck is in zombie form.

He could switch between them in MI4.
    I never was truly happy about that actually, but at it does at least give Telltale the freedom to pick a form they want without worrying about an explanation.
  • edited June 2009
    The interview said Tales of Monkey Island takes place sometime after Monkey Island 5 (which doesn't exist) because they didn't want to go the direction of making a Monkey Island 5.
  • edited June 2009
    Why would you not want to play the classic MI games?
  • edited June 2009
    I would play the first two: Secret of Monkey Island and LeChuck's Revenge (using ScummVM) just to get the idea of the charters and story.

It will be just that much more entertaining if you know where it's all coming from when you play this release.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm sure SOMI:SE will be out before Tales. It just makes sense!
  • edited June 2009
    Bagge wrote: »
    The special edition of The Secret of Monkey Island looks like a good place to start if you've never played a Monkey Island game before, provided it's released before the first episode of TMI.

Secret MI:Special Edition may be out around the 19th of this month, if the original leak proves accurate.

secretofmonkey.jpg
  • edited June 2009
    I would try to get the original The Secret of Monkey Island (at best the PC VGA version and ScummVM) and play through it before. I think it will be worth it in the sake for an better understanding what's it all about and i suspect quite some insider jokes will make more sense then. Last but not least this is one of the best adventures ever made.

Try to buy it online somewhere and hell if you can't get it this way i even would recommend donwloading it from an omnious source.

*singing*
    -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AawQvD8L_h4
  • edited June 2009
    You are missing a lot if you never played it. If you like Sam and Max, you'll love Monkey Island.

One thing I remember about the original was the insult sword fighting. When I played it, I discovered that the Sword master's insult "My last struggle ended with my hands covered with blood." actually had TWO responses that worked. It seems most people choose "I hope now you've learned to stop picking you nose." But on a whim, I tried "Your hemorrhoids are flaring up again, eh?" And it worked too.

I am really hoping that one of these chapters will involve insult sword fighting. But if you haven't played them, find a way to do so. The game will teach you an important lesson about paying more than $20 for a video game.
  • edited June 2009
    taumel wrote: »

That was cut out of the german version. I was shocked when I played it with scummVM the first time and this showed up.
  • edited June 2009
    All I would say is you will have a great time playing these games each have their own unique sense of humour and storytelling, you won't be disappointed. But as others have said, start off with the special edition of the original and go on from there it'll make it easier for you to get to know the characters better.
  • edited June 2009
    This is a nice summary of the first game in flash!:
    http://majusarts.deviantart.com/art/Monkey-Island-Flash-Movie-62672674
  • edited June 2009
    I think a good explanation is that it's the tale of a brash young man named Guybrush Threepwood who wishes to become a pirate. It follows his harrowing adventures seeking fame, fortune, and true love, all while avoiding porcelain. There is cannibalism, ghosts, zombies, voodoo, highway robbery, giant q-tips, drinking, banjoos, hairdressers, weenies, spitting, the Dewey Decimal system, three headed monkeys, and so much more. You could probably pick up the new game and get into it alright, but you'd be doing yourself a criminal disservice by not at least trying to play the originals first.
  • edited June 2009
    You've never played Monkey Island?
    Dude, do yourself a favor, stop reading this crap and go playing NOW!!!
  • edited June 2009
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    That was cut out of the german version. I was shocked when I played it with scummVM the first time and this showed up.

Same here, cut out of the italian version... What a shame :mad:
  • edited June 2009
    Same here, cut out of the italian version... What a shame :mad:

Have you tried if ScummVM restores it for you too?

And I agree with your ozher post: get to play those games. Now.

It's a shame they are not available for digital distribution since the price for the retail copies on ebay is just outrageous.
  • edited June 2009
    I'll try with scummVM right now! Thanks for the advice.
    Cutting that is a crime.
  • edited June 2009
    Anyone can tell me where to download MI3, for scummvr, please?
  • edited June 2009
    Bagge wrote: »
    Crap! 5 in stock o_O I want to order that but I didn't want to do it right now.

What to do, what to do... :eek:
  • edited June 2009
    Xocrates wrote: »
    Crap! 5 in stock o_O I want to order that but I didn't want to do it right now.

What to do, what to do... :eek:

Order. Now. Order with Sam & Max Hit The Road if you don't have that game either.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.