Free Episode suggestion?

Add me to the list of people who thought they died and went to Heaven at the news of the MI revival! I'm just about drooling as I type this!

I pre-ordered the DVD and now I get a free episode of any game of my choice (apparently). Only thing is, and please don't flog me with a mouse, I don't even know which one to pick. Sadly, I haven't played any of their offerings. MI was the first adventure game I ever truly loved, and was basically the last since the genre just about died with MI4 (IMHO). So, which episode of which game would you all recommend me to download? Something funny like MI, with some interesting characters and plot. I may be a noob to Telltale Games, but I'm no noob to MI! Been playing it since it came out for my trusty Commodore 64! Woohoo! I still can't believe it!

Comments

• edited June 2009
    I'd recommend one of the Sam & Max episodes.
  • edited June 2009
    Wow, that was quick. S&M is what I was leaning towards. :) Any particular episode?
  • edited June 2009
    Most people seem to like season 2 the most... however, I always like to start at the very beginning, so I'd pick the very first one (it's not the best episode, though).
  • edited June 2009
    Well, in the Sam and Max case, you do have Episode 4 for free anyway. So you could play that and then either invest in another episode or a different series.
  • edited June 2009
    Are they all connected and follow a continuous plot? Sorry, such stupid questions! I'll also try to do some research on the web. I too agree that it's ideal to start from the beginning, but I'd welcome a new series to love as much as MI (if that's even possible) so I wouldn't be completely opposed to starting with the "funniest" one.
  • edited June 2009
    Xocrates wrote: »
    Well, in the Sam and Max case, you do have Episode 4 for free anyway. So you could play that and then either invest in another episode or a different series.

I somehow missed that. I will have a look.

Update: OK. It's all mine now. Mwwwwwaaahahahaha. I'll give it a run and see what I think. Thanks!
  • edited June 2009
    They are mostly self contained, but with an overarching storyline... so it's best to play them in order.
  • edited June 2009
    Buy the whole second season of Sam&Max and spend the free episode on the last Strong Bad episode. If you have a joypad and can life with a suboptimal steering then you can also spend it on the second episode of W&G. I wouldn't touch the Bones serie.
  • edited June 2009
    Get Texas hold'em. Then play the free episodes of each series and if you like them buy the entire seasons (something you will inevitably do if you were to get a free sam & max episode).
  • edited June 2009
    Aciesethon wrote: »
    Get Texas hold'em.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *really doesn't like it*
    Then play the free episodes of each series
    afaik only Sam & Max 104 is a free game.
    KevinD872 wrote: »
    Wow, that was quick. S&M is what I was leaning towards. :) Any particular episode?
    I adore the style and music in Sam & Max 105: Reality 2.0
    I really love the first season of Sam & Max and starting from 104 they are even quite long games. At least longer then the first 3.
  • edited June 2009
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *really doesn't like it*

afaik only Sam & Max 104 is a free game.

I adore the style and music in Sam & Max 105: Reality 2.0
    I really love the first season of Sam & Max and starting from 104 they are even quite long games. At least longer then the first 3.
    That's odd I seem to remember ice station santa being free at some point. Oh well I stand corrected.

Seing as buying a season in a pack ends up saving you the price of an episode anyway it makes sense to me to do it that way while using your free game on something not in the packs, namely texas hold'em, csi or boneville.
    Personally I really enjoy poker so being able to play it without a bankroll and with telltale characters is a plus.
  • edited June 2009
    That's odd I seem to remember ice station santa being free at some point. Oh well I stand corrected.
    Ice Station Santa, as well as several other episodes across the several TTG series, have been offered as bonus on several occasions, which probably is what confused you. However only Episode 4 is free.
  • edited June 2009
    I'd have to say that Chariots of the Dogs is the best S&M episode they've ever done... but you probably need to have played the previous three games to get the most out of it (there IS an on-going story of sorts... although it is in the background, mostly).
  • edited June 2009
    So far I am having a go at the free S&M episode. Although I'm a bit rusty at adventure games and have found myself stuck already! haha (Resisting a walkthru).

I thought about one of the CSI games, but I am under the impression that those were "full" games and thus don't apply for the free coupon code?
  • edited June 2009
    KevinD872 wrote: »
    I thought about one of the CSI games, but I am under the impression that those were "full" games and thus don't apply for the free coupon code?

The coupon doesn't work with CSI (naturally, I tried it out).

Since I already have all episodes of Bone, S&M and W&G, I chose the first "Strong Bad"-episode.
  • edited June 2009
    I would recommend the first episode of S&M (Sam & Max you sicko). It will introduce you to the series' mytharc.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.