Yep, TMI looks much worse than EMI. </sarcasm>

I keep reading in comments on some of the news stories about Tales of Monkey Island that the graphics look worse than Escape from Monkey Island. I wouldn't care if they really did, but just for the sake of proving them wrong, let's compare.

"Escape from Monkey Island": Guybrush & Elaine
mi4profilelarge.jpg

"Tales of Monkey Island": Guybrush & Elaine
talesofmiguybrushandela.jpg

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Is that an image from the "secret forum" ?
  • edited June 2009
    xChri5x wrote: »
    Is that an image from the "secret forum" ?
    I believe it's from the secret wallpaper Jake posted there, heh. Just realized that too, but it was the only thing I could find that had the two of them together.
  • edited June 2009
    Some gameplay shots as well, just to erase any doubt.

106938.jpeg

tales-of-monkey-island-episode-1-20090602090738216_640w.jpg

Whereas EMI is bland and drab, with horrid textures, TMI is bright and colorful, with much nicer texturing.
  • edited June 2009
    If we look at CMI, though...
    126314.jpeg

But yeah, that's an unfair comparison... 2D is a thing of the past.

I think TMI looks pretty damn good, better than I would have expected. Telltale did a very good job on that, I don't know where people get the "EMI looks better" from.. makes no sense.
  • edited June 2009
    Armakuni wrote: »
    2D is a thing of the past.

http://adventuregamers.com/gallery.php?id=1489
  • edited June 2009
    I think TMI looks pretty damn good, better than I would have expected. Telltale did a very good job on that, I don't know where people get the "EMI looks better" from.. makes no sense.

People just want to complain I guess. Some of the textures in Telltale's games aren't of the highest quality, but the advances in 3D since EMI's release really shine through and make a difference for TMI. Plus, it's fricken' widescreen!

I really like the way TMI looks. I'll admit the trailer for it at first seems a bit underwhelming, but from the screenshots, footage from the rest of the trailer, and some small bits of gameplay I saw during a interview with Dave Grossman at E3, it looks really good, and I dig Guybrush's look.
  • edited June 2009
    Some gameplay shots as well, just to erase any doubt.

106938.jpeg

Whereas EMI is bland and drab, with horrid textures, TMI is bright and colorful, with much nicer texturing.

Do bare in mind that Melee island itself is dark and dreary (at all times) so to compare another island as being bright and colorful doesn't quite fit to compare the two games together....though I quite agree that TMI does look better from what I've seen than EMI....though nothing can beat MI2 in my mind...give me that any day of the week it looked awesome...and never let it be said that the artistic value of CMI was any less.
  • edited June 2009
    All the 2D Monkey Island games (1,2,3) look a billion times better than EMI and TMI combined.
  • edited June 2009
    All the 2D Monkey Island games (1,2,3) look a billion times better than EMI and TMI combined.

It's all a matter of preference, and given how timeless 2D has become in this 3D world, it's a given that people will like the 2D more.
  • edited June 2009
    Do bare in mind that Melee island itself is dark and dreary (at all times) so to compare another island as being bright and colorful doesn't quite fit to compare the two games together....though I quite agree that TMI does look better from what I've seen than EMI....though nothing can beat MI2 in my mind...give me that any day of the week it looked awesome...and never let it be said that the artistic value of CMI was any less.

escape-from-monkey-island-44.jpg

There ya go.

SOMI doesn't look better art wise than TMI except for the closeups, but MI2 and CMI do, in my opinion.
  • edited June 2009
    linkdragon wrote: »
    It's all a matter of preference, and given how timeless 2D has become in this 3D world, it's a given that people will like the 2D more.

Yeah, 2D ages better than 3D.

However, I do admit to being biased in that I'd take top notch 2D over 3D any day. You can't deny that CMI has some absolutely gorgeous artwork. MI 2 will always be my favorite, though.

EDIT:
    I should add, I really do like the TMI art style and graphics.
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah, 2D ages better than 3D.

However, I do admit to being biased in that I'd take top notch 2D over 3D any day. You can't deny that CMI has some absolutely gorgeous artwork. MI 2 will always be my favorite, though.

EDIT:
    I should add, I really do like the TMI art style and graphics.
    If you want to see some new 2D adventure games that even blow CMI away, look up a few posts at the two links I posted. :)
  • edited June 2009
    If we look at CMI, though...
    126314.jpeg

But yeah, that's an unfair comparison... 2D is a thing of the past.

To be quite honest, as much as I love CMI: The first thing I notice when I see that image is how crunchy the outline on the sprite of Guybrush looks. Sad really, because other than that the game remains beautiful. Future 2D games should use vector art so it'd be much more scalable.
  • edited June 2009
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    To be quite honest, as much as I love CMI: The first thing I notice when I see that image is how crunchy the outline on the sprite of Guybrush looks. Sad really, because other than that the game remains beautiful. Future 2D games should use vector art so it'd be much more scalable.

Eh, I never liked how lanky they made Guybrush in CMI. After MI 1 and 2, Guybrush became more and more goofy which I always lamented.
  • edited June 2009
    I agree. However, the backdrops are gorgeous, it'll be a while until we see 3D look that awesome, in adventure games anyway.
  • edited June 2009
    Eh, I never liked how lanky they made Guybrush in CMI. After MI 1 and 2, Guybrush became more and more goofy which I always lamented.

So has LeChuck, it seems. After years of playing MI2 and seeing LeChuck as a menacing and scary villain, I find it hard to accept him as anything but. TMI looks promising in that regard - at least he's not fumbling with a cannonball or making funny noises.
  • edited June 2009
    Jayel wrote: »
    So has LeChuck, it seems. After years of playing MI2 and seeing LeChuck as a menacing and scary villain, I find it hard to accept him as anything but. TMI looks promising in that regard - at least he's not fumbling with a cannonball or making funny noises.

I kind of like this LeChuck.

emiglechuck10.png
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    A journalist I showed the game to today commented that although it's 3D, the art style is actually pretty reminiscent of Curse of Monkey Island. I hadn't really thought about it but it's true. Harder to see in the screenshots than when the game is moving, but the framing of the shots, camera angles, and the way the environments "move" as Guybrush walks through them has a very stylized feel that *almost* seems like a prerendered 2D game. Hard to explain right now, but when you guys play the game I hope you'll see what I'm talking about.
  • edited June 2009
    Emily wrote: »
    A journalist I showed the game to today commented that although it's 3D, the art style is actually pretty reminiscent of Curse of Monkey Island. I hadn't really thought about it but it's true. Harder to see in the screenshots than when the game is moving, but the framing of the shots, camera angles, and the way the environments "move" as Guybrush walks through them has a very stylized feel that *almost* seems like a prerendered 2D game. Hard to explain right now, but when you guys play the game I hope you'll see what I'm talking about.

I really hope sometime soon we get to see an actual gameplay trailer. You wouldn't happen to know if one is coming soon? ;) I haven't seen one pop up on any gaming sites, which I find odd.
  • edited June 2009

Sounds great!
  • edited June 2009
    the environments "move" as Guybrush walks through them

That sounds promising.
  • edited June 2009

That's really cool! Thanks for the info!
  • edited June 2009
    xChri5x wrote: »
    The engine Bill Tiller uses for his games is a mixed 2d 3d engine.
    2d Backgrounds 3d characters.
  • edited June 2009

Man, do these shot look gorgeous... *sighs* I guess that with the plethora of different resolutions around, it's not very efficient to do 2D art - or you'll have hordes of unhappy users wishing for widescreen, or not widescreen, or 2560x1600, or 800x600, etc... I think it's a really tough undertaking to go for a 2D game today.

And also, for 3D, there's good value in the moving cameras and the different shots of the locations.

It just occured to me - if you do a 3D game with the same timeline and resources as a 2D adventure, how close can it come in visual quality? Provided the users have a hefty videocard, of course :)
  • edited June 2009
    I've never played the ps2 ver of EoMI but I have read that that ver has more polygons

I would like to see screens comparsion of that and TMI
  • edited June 2009
    I really like the first TOMI shot you're having in the thread with Guybrush and Elaine, very nice one although the backround is too flat. The second one doesn't look convincing to me.

I think MI4 looked okay for it's time and once had it's pros mostly with some geometry and the backgrounds, sometimes very poor on the texturing side. The dark scene for instance is still a nice one if you ignore Guybrush's face. I'm just addicted to those MI clouds. :O)

Never liked the outlines in MI3 but the brackgrounds were fine.

As we're talking about screens, i am really into some of the AVS2 screens, especially this one.

10108.jpg
  • edited June 2009
    Yikes, would you mind resizing that a bit? It's stretching the page.
  • edited June 2009
    taumel wrote: »
    I really like the first TOMI shot you're having in the thread with Guybrush and Elaine, very nice one although the backround is too flat. The second one doesn't look convincing to me.
    The background is flat in the ToMI "screenshot" because it's not a screenshot. It's just the 3D models of Guybrush and Elaine on a flat background for desktop wallpaper purposes, though I cropped it to use as an example. :P
  • edited June 2009
    First gameplay: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/talesofmonkeyisland/videos.html?mode=all

I really like the expressions on Guybrush
  • edited June 2009
    Junaid wrote: »
    first gameplay: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/talesofmonkeyisland/videos.html?mode=all

i really like the expressions on guybrush
    Thank you!! :D
  • edited June 2009
    The background is flat in the ToMI "screenshot" because it's not a screenshot. It's just the 3D models of Guybrush and Elaine on a flat background for desktop wallpaper purposes, though I cropped it to use as an example. :P

Sure but that's what looks disturbing.

As for the size of the screen, i just linked to it, i guess it's okay again as soon as we reach page 3.
  • edited June 2009
    Junaid wrote: »
    First gameplay: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/talesofmonkeyisland/videos.html?mode=all

I really like the expressions on Guybrush

Looking good :)
    Damn now you made me preorder even though I wanted to wait...
  • edited June 2009
    taumel wrote: »
    Sure but that's what looks disturbing.

As for the size of the screen, i just linked to it, i guess it's okay again as soon as we reach page 3.

If you edit your post, the picture in the preview should have size handles on the edges that will allow you to resize it. They at least show for me when I make posts.
  • edited June 2009
    I was a little unconvinced by the environments in the trailer and screenshots, but the gameplay footage has completely changed my mind. I get weird CMI vibes from the visuals, too. Not sure why, though.
  • edited June 2009
    The gameplay footage really does show the game's artistic beauty rather better than the pictures; even if not cutting edge-and I wouldn't expect it to be, not everyone has such a computer for that-its still good. My only beef with it is the water. It seems a little off, especially when the camera looks down at it (though the reflections off it at typical angles are nice, and it is animated). It doesn't convey that tropical water feel that one would expect from a stereotypical depiction of the Caribbean. It might help if it were more gradient towards a lighter blue, as it was in Moai Better Blues:

tn_565_7.jpg

Does anyone else think that these GameSpot interviewers in these videos are incessantly cheery?
  • edited June 2009
    LukeSW wrote: »
    I was a little unconvinced by the environments in the trailer and screenshots, but the gameplay footage has completely changed my mind. I get weird CMI vibes from the visuals, too. Not sure why, though.

Exactly what I was going to say! Any fears I had have just gone.

CANNOT WAIT!

Already thinking of ways to knock the captian off the ship....
  • edited June 2009
    Already thinking of ways to knock the captian off the ship....

Heh, you too? :D
  • edited June 2009
    I've had my desktop as shots from CMI for as long as I can remember (and I'm 38). the graphics were stunning, the game play was so addictive I had more sickies than I can count because I wanted to stay at home and play it. I would prefer 2D graphics over 3D anyday, but right now......I don't care!!...I just want to play the new game.
  • edited June 2009
    I was thinking just now, out of all of Guybrush's non-pixelated looks, his new look in Tales of Monkey Island is my absolute favorite.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.