The "complain about Tales of MI" thread

Rather than have the forum filled with complaints, I thought it would be more constructive if everyone posted what they DON'T like about Tales of Monkey Island in this thread.

No new threads, just post what you don't like in here! (It would be better if mods then closed any new complaint threads, but I guess it's up to TT.)

Comments

• edited June 2009
    1. Murrays NOT IN THE GAME YET!!! GRRR! CURSES!

2. 3D, Alright i know 2D is more time consuming and expensive to make, BUT WE WANT IT! And We will PAY FOR IT!

Thats it.. its all im unhappy about! Rest is just Thumbs up!

Love you guys! Thanks for monkey island!
  • edited June 2009
    Would have posted the graphics but having seen them in motion in the gameplay videos, no need!
  • edited June 2009
    3D
    controls

those are my only complaints thus far.
  • edited June 2009
    3D
    controls

those are my only complaints thus far.

Please! do not forget MURRAY The Talking Evil Demonic Skull from hell!!!!
  • edited June 2009
    I would only want it in 2D if they got the same artist who did Curse

And does anyone think that the cinematics look worse than the gameplay?
  • edited June 2009
    No, i think they are better looking the the gameplay, it looks a bit too plastic for me tbh. But its Monkey island, they can wrap the whole scene in foam ill still buy it!
  • edited June 2009
    I don't want to go back to the 2D of the first two monkey islands, then again I don't want this lame looking 3D used in Monkey island 4.

The "3D" from monkey Island 3 was surely the best looking and is one of my favorite looking games ever and it's over 10 years old now. But I can fully understand TellTale taking the easiest way out. Plus if they made it look old they wouldn't attract new players, such as Wii owners who never played Monkey Island.

I am just glad I don't have to rely on Zack and Wiki to give me my point n click priate adventure game anymore.
  • edited June 2009
    CoMI was a 2D game...
  • edited June 2009
    CoMI was a 2D game...

The people were vibrant 2D but the backgrounds seemed 3D to me since you could move froward and back in the foreground
  • edited June 2009
    I DEMAND TELLTALE STOP THIS AND MAKE SAM AND MAX SEASON 3 INSTEAD! /angry sarcasm
  • edited June 2009
    patters wrote: »
    I DEMAND TELLTALE STOP THIS AND MAKE SAM AND MAX SEASON 3 INSTEAD! /angry sarcasm

You can go die in the fire's in the pit of Monkey Island.
  • edited June 2009
    I would like to make the obligatory complain of people complaining too much.
  • edited June 2009
    Sticky! :)
  • edited June 2009
    I would complain that Telltale didn't pacify the whiners who complained about the controls (or what they would assume the controls would be).
  • edited June 2009
    fire2box wrote: »
    The people were vibrant 2D but the backgrounds seemed 3D to me since you could move froward and back in the foreground
    In MI1 and MI2 Guybrush could also move forward and back in some locations... nevertheless it's 2D.

But there was a 3D-modus in the options of MI3 ;)
  • edited June 2009
    like the multiplayer mode in MI4.
  • edited June 2009
    My only complaint is the controls.

Having played through W&G episode 2 now, I think that game could have had a pure point & click as an option... I looked carefully for any scenes that would be impossible to do in point & click, but found none.
    So I'm thinking this might be the case for the MI episodes as well - obviously, it will be a bit harder to implement good mouse controls than it is to simply do direct control, but I have no doubt it would be possible.
  • edited June 2009
    Nothing. I like the style, looking forward to the controls, love all the voice actors, and the absence of Murray doesn't really bother me as he was never in the first two games anyway (which are the best ones in my eyes). So Monkey Island can thrive without him. It'd be nice if he was included, but if not it's no big deal to me at all.
  • edited June 2009
    Earl Boen not as LeChuck. :(
  • edited June 2009
    Everything about TMI looks great, except I'm still not sure how I feel about the settings. The graphics seem a little bland to me, and appear to be lacking in admosphere, especially compared to newer adventure games like Vampyre Story.

In other words, I really hope they step up the graphics before release. According to the devs though, the turnaround is pretty quick so I've no doubt that could happen before release.
  • edited June 2009
    Also, it's hard to appreciate 3D graphics when there's no movement. Often more vibrant colours for static images of 3D games look much better than when you actually play them....the vibrancy is almost jarring and distracting. There's something to be said about atmospheric lighting and strategic placement of certain types of "blandness." We've seen no animations yet aside from the trailer (which looks more than satisfying in my opinion). Just hold all doubts until the demo...
  • edited June 2009
    Well it's nice to see people taking advantage of this thread. I'm getting quite tired of those who insist on creating a whole new to say "I want it in 2D!!!!!".
  • edited June 2009
    I suppose the only part I'd be iffy on is controlling the character with the keys, if they're going that way, as traditionally MI was always a point & clicker. Have they confirmed that they're going the Grim Fandango route for MI? Even if they are, I'm going to keep my faith in them to see what they'll do.

As for Curse of Monkey Island, it was most definitely 2D in its entirety without a smidgeon of 3D anywhere. It did have a 3D option in the options but I remember it mocking anyone who clicked it, which was hilarious. So yes, the game itself would tell the player that it didn't have even a single polygon present. Even in Monkey Island 1 Guybrush could go behind things and into doors, too, that's where the remake of that scene in CMI came from.

That's actually one thing I'm hoping TMI won't do, in CMI a lot of jokes and things were just recycled, instead of true growth being present. I'm hoping that TMI will actually grow instead of just recycling the same old jokes over and over. For that reason, I'm actually hoping Murray won't be present, as doing that would just turn it into another CMI.

After all, look at how MI 2 rather beautifully built upon the original MI, despite being a sequel it was new, and fresh, and Gilbert didn't feel the need to recycle old jokes to be funny. If Murray does return, I hope he has a completely different personality. Turn him into a bohemian, have him in a new role of undead music conductor or something. But the same old Murray would be depressing.

Okay, I'm done.
  • edited June 2009
    Eh, Guybrush's design in CMI was horrible... way too lanky and goofy. The actual world and backgrounds were gorgeous though.

With that being said, TMI looks great in motion and reminds me of both CMI and MI2.
  • edited June 2009
    It isn't out yet.
  • edited June 2009
    I suppose the only part I'd be iffy on is controlling the character with the keys, if they're going that way, as traditionally MI was always a point & clicker. Have they confirmed that they're going the Grim Fandango route for MI? Even if they are, I'm going to keep my faith in them to see what they'll do.
    Okay, I'm done.

If they're using the Wallace & Gromit scheme again (which they seem to be), you only move with the keyboard, while talking to, picking up, shoving, stabbing and/or chewing objects and characters in the environment is still done by pointing and clicking. It's definitely a lot easier to get used to than it was in Grim Fandango and EMI when you had to walk up to something just to see if it was usable, never mind picking from multiple targets in range.
  • edited June 2009
    Shale wrote: »
    If they're using the Wallace & Gromit scheme again (which they seem to be), you only move with the keyboard, while talking to, picking up, shoving, stabbing and/or chewing objects and characters in the environment is still done by pointing and clicking. It's definitely a lot easier to get used to than it was in Grim Fandango and EMI when you had to walk up to something just to see if it was usable, never mind picking from multiple targets in range.

Yeah, that's true. Having poked the Wallace & Gromit demo, I remember that now. I'm still hoping they're going to go with the Sam & Max system, but the W&G one wasn't bad either, I'm just going to wait and see how it turns out.

As for seeing TMI in motion, we have the rather lovely trailer, which conveys a lot. At the very least it shows how much they've worked on the animations, which look absolutely fantastic.
  • edited June 2009
    Wow! A new Monkey Island game? I was like... no way, that's great news! It means a new swashbuckling pirate adventure and more beautifull music by Michael Land. But when I saw the graphics... I was a little dissapointed. Somehow I just don't like the new (characters) designs. It's all very cartoony and telltale-ish.:D
    I wish they would stick more to the old style, with the beautifull caribbean backgrounds and colors.
    But probably, I'm just overreacting and of course I'm looking forward to the way this one turns out.
  • edited June 2009
    Right now, I have faith in these guys, just look at the team, I'm sure they know what they are doing! :P My only complaint would be no Earl Boen as LeChuck! No Earl should mean No LeChuck, would of prefered it if you renamed the character and changed his design and called him LeChucks brother or cousin or something so the new voice actor can do as they please with the role instead of being restrained to being an Earl Boen imposter. :(
  • edited June 2009
    I'm just wondering what Telltale thinks about cel-shading. They did a great job of it for the final episode of Strong Bad's etc..., even if it was just for a small scene. Monkey Island seems to work best in a cartoony style with 2D backgrounds (maybe you could make the 2D backgrounds scrollable and zoomable).

Other than that, the music, voice acting and the smaller characters are perfect. It's just the small niggling issue of the main character.

So far, the team did a great job of capturing the visual style of their sources. Strong Bad's ... looked almost exactly like the web cartoon. Wallace and Gromit had that claymation-like style to them. I'd love to see Monkey Island perfectly recreated - even if it means a delay.
  • edited June 2009
    I don't want wiiware. I want it on a wii dvd game disc!
  • edited June 2009
    I'd rather have the Wiiware. :p
  • edited June 2009
    1. Earl Boen's not LeChuck (at the moment...)
    2. That people are complaining about getting a new Monkey Island game. From Telltale. For me, this is wish-fulfilment. If you had asked me for the game I'd most want to see happen, I'd say this. Honest.

And I couldn't care less about 3D. I think it looks great.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm not really keen on the episode format. while I understand the pros, the major con (for me) is not being able to fire up the full game. I just like the freedom. I know it's not a sandbox game or anything... but still. maybe I'm a bit silly.
  • edited June 2009
    What? It's not a first person shooter? WTF?!?! Way to take a thriving franchise and ruin it Telltale.
  • edited June 2009
    Indeed. I bet there will be no carjacking or "Hot Coffee", either. Telltale!!

;)
  • edited June 2009
    I'd rather have the Wiiware. :p

If nintendo increases the hard disk space, I wouldn't mind wiiware :cool:
  • edited June 2009
    Good for you. :p
  • edited June 2009
    I don't have anything to complain at this moment, because game isn't even out yet. I can't form my opinion before I have completed the first episode.

But I wonder why some people are complaining that this game is crap, when they haven't even played it or do they have crystal ball?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.