Tales of Monkey Island: Dislikes

lmilmi
edited June 2009 in Tales of Monkey Island
well, i decided to dedicate this thread to the criticism of the 'tales of monkey island'. while i'm sure we're all grateful to the telltale and lucasarts for reviving their work on the series, i'm also sure that true MI fans have a thing or two to say about this.

here's a list of my own dislikes.

minor dislikes:

- the MAIN characters are ugly (actually, by saying 'main', i mean guybrush for the most part; you probably tried ur best, but still he looks like a chicken from wallace&gromit or something. i also think you overdid lechuck too). don't get me wrong i'm not against 3d or anythin. i even played EMI and liked it (though monkey combat was a bit 2much it seems), despite what some ppl are saying about it. but when it comes to my FAVOURITE GAME, i'd really appreciate charismatic, better-looking characters.

- earring. what the heck's in guybrush's right ear? do u guys c him as queer or somthin? besides, when did he wear more than one earring?! you sure made him look more manly compared to some parts, and props to you on that... but earrings?

MAJOR dislikes:

- *reading through the game titles* launch of... the siege... lair... the trial... the rise of the WHAT?!! is paganism fancy today or something? ppl 2day r tryin 2 copy warcraft or somthin?!! that crap spoiled 4 me the impression from the third part of 'the pirates of the caribbean'. outa ur own ideas, ask MI fans, i'm sure, they've got plenty! i'm really looking forward to buying SMI:SE this year (as i did with all the previous MI games). and, i dont really mind if u ignore the stuff i labelled as 'minor dislikes', but if u put the 'pirate god' (without at least putting quotation marks over it or something, to show that u dont really mean it) crap into the game, dont even hope on me buying it. as a founder of a MI fan club (ur in luck its not really big - over 100 people) i will not recommend the fans to buy it.
twas kinda harmless (even funny, an sorta cool) 2 c the voodoo magic n stuff in the previos series, but dont u think that something that ur fifth chapter title has is just OVER THE EDGE?

why 'pirate god', anyway? why not 'pirate king', or 'pirate demon' (ok, there sorta was 1 b4), 'great pirate demon', or at least 'pirate lord'? c'mon guys, u gotta 2 do better then the lame title of the fifth chapter. the SECOND worst thing to calling creature a 'god' in my most beloved game, would probably b elaine cheating on guybrush or something (and im writing this so that you could comprehend HOW HORRIBLE for me is what you perhaps are going to do).

note: by the above message i mean no offence to anyone, harsh words like 'crap' are used solely as an expression of disappointment to some extent.

best wishes to the telltale Team! hoping you still have the time and the capability to change something about the fifth chapter, keeping the game religiously neutral as it always has been, and not ruin it like the third part of the movie "the pirates of the caribbean"...

i'm sure that you would make not only me HAPPY, but many-many MI fans all around the WORLD should you do a minor CHANGE on the thing i pointed out...

p.s.: yeah, i kno theres a topic bout complaints an all, but this isnt really a complaint. more like a statement. any1 who wants 2 write something like "i luv u telltale" or "thank you telltale, i hav no objections", or "it's so great that ur making a new game, and i dont care whats inside as long as it has a mi label on it" please refrain from doing so in here. there are many topics on this forum for you to express your joy, so leave at least this one for criticism. thank you!

Comments

• edited June 2009
    There's already a thread for this.

And pirates wear earrings. It's not a gay thing. He's married to Elaine, after all! Earrings in the right ear being gay is a pop culture thing. And it takes place after MI5, so this change is acceptably warranted.

Actually reading through your post you come off as a very narrow-minded person. Problems with the episode title names? Are you serious? That's pathetic. You're really grasping for straws here.
  • edited June 2009
    Judging by your text speak, sweeping judgements before even playing a demo let alone a full game and your ignorance when it comes to pirate jewellery, I presume you are pre-pubescent?
  • edited June 2009
    Hey, that pirate god thingie is just a title, you know...
    Don't you think you're reading way too much in it ? I mean, MAYBE this will turn out to be something stupid, but how can you know with such a vague lead ?
    And besides, voodoo crap has always been all over monkey island, and in case you don't know, voodoo IS a religion... So as long as it ends up as something funny and well done (which i don't doubt will happen, since the guys at Telltale already proved they knew how to write a story, but hey, even if they screw it up, how can you know they will right now?), i just don't see why this title is getting you so mad...
    You obviously have a right to be scared, but i think focusing on a detail like this one without any context to put it in is just plain stupid.
  • edited June 2009
    gtfo and dont buy the game then
  • edited June 2009
    Holy crap people. Why do Internet forums bring out the whiners? Are you so unhappy with your life that you can't focus on anything but what's wrong with [focus of message board]?

Please, for everyone's sake, go outside and play.
  • edited June 2009
    This is why we can't have nice things.
  • edited June 2009
    I, like Gibbon, would think the poster to be prepubescent but queer... queer? Really, is the OP living in the 60's? The last time I saw that word used was in the title 'Queer as folk', and that was tongue-in-cheek.

Again I'd ask if the OP is living in the 60's by pointing out that having an ear-ring does not make a bloke queer. I speak as a bit of an authority on the subject having been gay for as long as I can remember, and there are plenty of men here in the UK who wear ear-rings and are quite, quite straight, but also a tad mroe comfortable with their sexuality.

I'd suggest this thread be stricken from the record, considering its content, we already have one super-thread for complaints anyway, and that's doing quite well. We don't need another one, especially one that starts off on this note, do we?
  • lmilmi
    edited June 2009
    well, cant say i didnt expect this type of reply from some of u.
    Actually reading through your post you come off as a very narrow-minded person.
    i just stated my opinion, thats all.
    i just don't see why this title is getting you so mad...
    its the paganism tendency in the gaming world nowadays, that gets me concerned.
    You obviously have a right to be scared, but i think focusing on a detail like this one without any context to put it in is just plain stupid.
    perhaps. i just decided to give my own opinion, hoping that its still not too late to change some stuff if its more than just a title. i guess, that, maybe im being a bit overreactive, and in the end it will turn out to be just a title. like i said, i mean no offence to anybody. thanks for your comments (fortunately, i dont have any problems with accepting criticism))))
    having been gay for as long as I can remember
    thats 2bad...
  • edited June 2009
    picture.php?albumid=247&pictureid=1627
  • edited June 2009
    I'm going to vote Troll. As my brain would implode at this thread otherwise.
  • edited June 2009
    What's wrong with paganism?

And Guybrush would make a better god than any of the other candidates out there.
  • edited June 2009
    The implied link between paganism and ToMI cracks me up.
    Armakuni wrote: »

Indeed, the OP would likely tell you what they think is wrong with paganism, but I can only imagine it would be littered with hearsay and fallacious stereotypes, and no actual research.

Regardless, this thread has been reported, the sooner this travesty gets locked, the better.
  • edited June 2009
    lmi is my new favorite poster. Do you have a blog, lmi?

I have to disagree with one point, though. Elaine cheating on Guybrush would be way worse than calling a creature god. Unless, however, they capitalized god (i.e. God), in which case that would be way worse than Elaine cheating on Guybrush.

But way worse than any of those things is if Guybrush turns out to be queer (as is hinted at with the earrings) and elopes with Wally (who has always struck me as being a little light in the loafers). Please reconsider this storyline which appears to be inevitable based on the trailer!!
  • edited June 2009
    salmonmax wrote: »
    if Guybrush turns out to be queer (as is hinted at with the earrings) and elopes with Wally

You have a great grasp of satire, and for that, you're neat.

I want to try too! *ahem* omg, some1 shud ttly slashfic that !!
  • lmilmi
    edited June 2009
    i believe that anyone is free to follow the religious beliefs they want. but... paganism in MI (in my opinion) is just really WRONG.
    lmi is my new favorite poster. Do you have a blog, lmi?
    thanx, mate! nope, no blog...
    Unless, however, they capitalized god (i.e. God), in which case that would be way worse than Elaine cheating on Guybrush.
    that was kinda what i meant.
    Please reconsider this storyline which appears to be inevitable based on the trailer!!
    LOL))))
  • edited June 2009

Sherman the lactose-intolerant volcano god anyone?
  • edited June 2009
    Voodoo doesn't count?
  • edited June 2009
    Voodoo is awesome. Two of my favourite series feature it (GK and MI).
  • edited June 2009
    Xocrates wrote: »
    Voodoo doesn't count?

I think lmi explained himself pretty clearly. Voodoo is funny and kinda cool. Paganism is wrong and cause for concern.
  • edited June 2009
    yeah, but whatever this episode contents happen to be, do anyone really believe it's gonna be something to be taken seriously... ?
  • edited June 2009
    Maybe Guybrush will shed his old pirate suit and reveal himself as the one and true god of the universe.
    As such a big fan, hopefully I'll be a high ranking member of his army of geeks.
    I'd gladly sacrifice any rubber chickens I have laying around.
  • edited June 2009
    Guybrush is God.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm now personally hoping that there'll be a scene in ToMI where Guybrush is mistaken for some biblical figure.
  • edited June 2009
    if Guybrush turns out to be queer (as is hinted at with the earrings) and elopes with Wally (who has always struck me as being a little light in the loafers). Please reconsider this storyline which appears to be inevitable based on the trailer!!

double-facepalm.jpg
  • edited June 2009
    I find great enjoyment in people bitching about games they havent tried, and if the "MAJOR dislikes" is the title of the chapters, then everything looks very promising :)

nb: if I understand the OP correct, I am not good at n00b5p34|<
  • edited June 2009
    wezzy wrote: »
    I find great enjoyment in people bitching about games they havent tried, <

I'm sure the developers love it too. Episode one isn't even out yet and folks are up in arms about nearly everything. I guess, It just goes to show how passionate everyone is about Monkey Island (and implied paganism).
  • edited June 2009

And Guybrush would make a better god than any of the other candidates out there.

Sorry to say but Guybrush doesn't even hold the candle for MURRAY!! (as a god)
  • edited June 2009
    What is with the gay bashing here? I am straight and married but have no issue with people who are gay.... why would I care how other people live their lives.

Anyway, read once that pirates would wear alot of gold earrings to pay for their funeral if they died.... But I also heard that they usually got burials at sea... so who knows.
  • David EDavid E Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    I hate this thread.
This discussion has been closed.