Anyone thinks that tmi will be faithful to old series in regards to gameplay?

I know that TT have stated that the tales series will try to be faithful to the old MI games, but l wonder how much of that is actually accurate. Just that the last Monkey Island title is more than eight years old, l would think there would be some sort of differences. Anybody else worried that the new guybrush game will feel different?

I hope the Tales plays like the old one. Sorry to be a bit nostalgic but playing both season 1 and 2 of Sam and Max, I am a bit worried that the new tales of episodes might be diff just because of age.

The two S&M TT series are quite fun, but beside the episodic content, the game felt different to Sam and Max: Hit the Road. I think havnig the repetitive three things puzzle as well as being self contained games changed the whole feel of S&M.

Then again, the MI titles have always been episodic in a way that they are broken up in chapters. With TT commenting that they will have the episodes being heavily connected to one another like parts of a book, as well as having items that combine, the game may be just like the old MI games. I guess it depends on the game's story to detemine if this is close to the old MI titles.

Comments

• edited June 2009
    With the developers having so much history and experience with the series, I have faith.
  • edited June 2009
    Yes.
  • edited June 2009
    yes.
  • edited June 2009
    I think it will be faithful, yes. Many of the same people on the team, too.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm hoping that only the first chapter will have the monkey island intro and the last chapter will have the end credits and each chapter will start with the traditional chapter screen + music. But... I'm not sure if they'll do it :( (pleeeeaaassseeeee......)
  • edited June 2009
    I feel it will be faithful, too.

Oh, and one thing about Sam & Max; it didn't feel exactly like Sam & Max but that's because LucasArts' own rendition was somewhat off. And if one were to compare both games to Purcell's own comics, I believe one would find that the Telltale efforts were far more faithful.

I'm not sure how many would agree with me, but the humour in the comics and the cartoons was both slightly more subtle, and much more absurd, but even the absurdity was subtle in its own way. However, LucasArts approached that absurdity with a blunt hammer, so much of it was in your face. That didn't feel quite so Purcell-like to me.

The LucasArts Sam & Max game was fantastic, but if we're talking about which is more accurate to the source material? I'd have to say the TTG games were. TTG is very good at being faithful to their source material.
  • edited June 2009
    I've always felt as though Hit the Road was truer to the language of the comics and better captured Purcell's unique surreal sesquipedalian idiom. The dialogue in Telltale's Sam and Max games was more natural-sounding and less long-winded and bizarre.
  • edited June 2009
    I personally feel (though I haven't played past S1:E1 of SnM (yet!!!)) that TT has remained very faithful to the style of SnM...even that shown by Hit the Road.

I've also played SB:CG4AP and that also stayed quite true to the source.

I understand if people disagree with me on this point, but to me everything from the feel of the gameplay down to the dialogue, humour, etc. all capture their subject beautifully.

I grew up playing SMI and I'm not a bit worried about TT getting their hands in on my favourite childhood (and still to this day) game.
  • edited June 2009
    Ron Gilbert approves. So that being said, yes.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm betting they'll put their own spin on it but it'll feel fairly consistent with the first 3, at least in the aspects where the first 3 are consistent :)
  • edited June 2009
    I definitely think it will be on par with the previous games. As they've said already: they have changed up the telltale tool engine so that the voice animations are better pronounced than any of their previous games; and they also added the ability to have inventory puzzles (finally). I think it will be at least as good as Curse and better than Escape. I only hope that this will be a returning series of games like Sam and Max and not just a one time only affair.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm not particularly big on things being the same for the sake of them being the same. If something is signifigantly improved, I will be behind it. On the other side of the coin, change for the sake of change or change for the sake of attracting a larger audience at the expense of the product are things that I oppose. I can't particularly say "change from the original is bad".

The guys behind this project seem to love and respect the franchise. Many of them helped create it. Until I'm given reason to believe otherwise, I trust that what comes out of that is going to be excellent.
  • edited June 2009
    If Sam & Max, SBCG4AP and (apparently) Wallace & Gromit are any indicator, then yes, I beleive that TMI will be faithful to the humor, setting, story and feel of the Monkey Island universe. Also, considering the span of of these things between SoMI and EMI, it would surprise me if TTG would miss it (although if we place the games on a scale from left (SoMI) to right (EMI), I'd assume that if they managed to fall outside, it would be to the right of EMI, which would be a comedic tragedy).
  • edited June 2009
    My biggest concern is that the voice acting just doesn't match what I have imagined in my head that they should be.

I just finished playing MI1 and 2 and it was nice just having sound effects and music.

It allows the gamer to fill in the blanks in their head as to what the character should sound like.

It's like hearing an announcer on radio and then seeing a picture of them. Very rarely does the reality match what you had envisioned.
  • edited June 2009
    I don't mind progression in gameplay if it's a positive change.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm hoping in terms of traditional gameplay its by choice how you want to play it either by mouse or keyboard but I will always go for the old tradition of point n' clicking with a mouse. Keyboard just doesn't cut the mustard, it didn't with EMI but with Grim Fandango it did but mouse is the most traditional with these type of games.
  • edited June 2009
    They knew we would kill them and then kill them again with root beer if it wasnt faithful :P
  • edited June 2009
    Zubrecht wrote: »
    My biggest concern is that the voice acting just doesn't match what I have imagined in my head that they should be.

I just finished playing MI1 and 2 and it was nice just having sound effects and music.

It allows the gamer to fill in the blanks in their head as to what the character should sound like.

It's like hearing an announcer on radio and then seeing a picture of them. Very rarely does the reality match what you had envisioned.
    Uff we already had two monkey island games with full voice acting, and since they hired the same excellent selection of voice actors Lucas Arts did, I assume it will be fine!
  • edited June 2009
    werpu wrote: »
    Uff we already had two monkey island games with full voice acting, and since they hired the same excellent selection of voice actors Lucas Arts did, I assume it will be fine!
    Isnt it only Dominic Armato and the chick who plays the Voodoo lady coming back?
  • edited June 2009
    Shiversul wrote: »
    Isnt it only Dominic Armato and the chick who plays the Voodoo lady coming back?

No, Alexandra Boyd who voiced Elaine in COMI is coming back as well
  • edited June 2009
    Oh, thats cool

Why isnt she doing Secret if Monkey Island aswell?
  • edited June 2009
    Shiversul wrote: »
    Oh, thats cool

Why isnt she doing Secret if Monkey Island aswell?

Shes doing that as well
Sign in to comment in this discussion.