On which difficulty do you plan to play tomi

What the title says

mine ofcourse is hardest with noooooo walkthrus

Comments

• edited June 2009
    If there is more than one Difficulty I suppose I will go hardest first then go back and do the easier one to see how the puzzles are different.
  • edited June 2009
    Irishmile wrote: »
    If there is more than one Difficulty I suppose I will go hardest first then go back and do the easier one to see how the puzzles are different.

it was confirmed in this interview that there will be difficulty levels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8s2aDo9txk
  • edited June 2009
    Ahh, I'm just thinking of how many WEEKS it took me to play through LeChucks revenge (Hard mode) without help=P
    ....and that will reduce the time I have to wait between the games! =P
    So no walkthroughs 'ere;)
  • edited June 2009
    I think you've misunderstood the interview. There will be a hint system with varying levels, but the actual difficulty level of the game stays the same. I will have the hint system off.
  • edited June 2009
    I think you've misunderstood the interview. There will be a hint system with varying levels, but the actual difficulty level of the game stays the same. I will have the hint system off.

Just like on the other MIs

Thats what i meant

If hint level increases .. difficulty decreases :p
  • edited June 2009
    I was wondering the other day if there will be a difficulty option in this one. They only had it in MI 2 and COMI so was wondering if they will bring this back at all.
  • edited June 2009
    as a kid i printed out walkthroughs for each of em and just played through em following the guide :S

I was only like 8 though :P

I think ill turn hints off for Tales
  • edited June 2009
    Without hints, andif there is difficulty altering, slap it on Mega Monkey.
  • edited June 2009
    Irishmile wrote: »

yerp
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Sorry, there aren't difficulty levels. There is a hint system which you can turn up and down, effectively making the game easier and harder, but there is only one puzzle path through the game (like Monkey Island 1 and 4), and no regular/megamonkey modes (like Monkey 2 and 3). Sorry if something confused you!
  • edited June 2009
    Thats it!!! Im not buying the game.... JK
  • edited June 2009
    I don't really want multiple modes anyway, so that's good news
  • edited June 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    Sorry, there aren't difficulty levels. There is a hint system which you can turn up and down, effectively making the game easier and harder, but there is only one puzzle path through the game (like Monkey Island 1 and 4), and no regular/megamonkey modes (like Monkey 2 and 3). Sorry if something confused you!

Would it be something you might consider with future series, perhaps?
    I know a lot of people I know like it in 2 and 3, because people new to games like Monkey Island, and experts, could both enjoy the game on their relative difficulty; and also increases longevity if you play through the easier then harder mode.
  • edited June 2009
    No hints. Ever. I haven't used any hints on S&M Season One or SBCG4AP Episode One yet. And I don't plan to for TOMI either. We've just got some decent adventures back, I'm not about to ruin the experience now! Most of the older games were ruined for me as a kid anyway, so I want to experience my own new adventures properly for a change.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm not using a walkthrough for any part of the game. The feeling of accomplishment that comes with figuring out the puzzles on your own is way too awesome to pass up.
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah. Someone brought this up one time a long time ago on one of the Sierra boards. Sometimes you can get stuck on a puzzle for weeks and maybe longer, but the fun in it is figuring it all out. Even if you're stuck. I don't think people enjoy that feeling anymore, though. They just want to get it done.
  • edited June 2009
    The temptation of knowing the solution for a puzzle you've been stuck for hours is just one click away (googling a walkthrough) is one the things, I believe, has reduced the popularity of adventure games. 15 years ago, we really didn't have any choice except actually solving the puzzle.
  • edited June 2009
    No hints. Ever. I haven't used any hints on S&M Season One or SBCG4AP Episode One yet. And I don't plan to for TOMI either. We've just got some decent adventures back, I'm not about to ruin the experience now!

I keep hints disabled by default too; however, I must confess that in my briliant TTG carreer I've had to use them a couple of times: once in Bright Side of the Moon (
    to know that I had to get the deed to the US out of Leonard's stomach
    ) and then in What's New, Beelzebub? (
    to know that I needed the Mime Sweeper cartridge
    ). It didn't ruin the experience at all: way better than a walkthrough.
  • edited June 2009
    Merkel wrote: »
    The temptation of knowing the solution for a puzzle you've been stuck for hours is just one click away (googling a walkthrough) is one the things, I believe, has reduced the popularity of adventure games. 15 years ago, we really didn't have any choice except actually solving the puzzle.

I agree with you there. I remember when I was first playing Star Trek: Judgement Rites back sometime in '95 I got really stuck in the 3rd mission. I almost every combination of items I could think of but I couldn't get past it. A little later on I found a game magazine from a few months previously which boasted that it had a walk through for the game so eagerly I looked it up but it was only a part of one and it stopped only a few steps/puzzles before the part I was stuck on! After leaving the game alone for a while, I went back on it and got past that point straight away - the solution was blindingly obvious now I knew what it was! But the point is I got a lot of satisfaction from solving a problem which now could be found on the internet in minutes.
  • edited June 2009
    I'd like to see more hints as you choose a "harder" difficulty, but the hints will be even more random and confusing as you progress.

Say, if you need to pick up a jar in a room. Instead, the hint system says: "If you like monkeys, go outside and act like one, then ask your great uncle Fred about his life during the great war"

See, it wouldn't solve anything, it just make things a tad more confusing. It would also give the writers a little more to do and allow for many more wonderful inside jokes.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.