How did you discover MI?

Im only 15, and i discovered it completely by chance

I had purchased Croc for pc when i was a kid, probs around 7-8, and in the case was a piece of paper saying if i sent it in a could get a free game, and it had a heap of games listed including Curse. I just randomly picked Curse, so after a while it came in the mail, i played it and loved it

Then i bought the massive collectors box and played em all

How did you guys get into em?

Comments

• edited June 2009
    I remember persuing people who didn't know about Monkey Island, especially for the second part, sometimes was kind of though because not everyone was fond of swapping 11 disks those days, if i remember correctly MI fit on four. Anyway this way it already started with some conversation where you had to win! :O)
  • edited June 2009
    Ironically, I was talking to my ex-roommate at college from last year about Monkey Island. At first, he thought it was lame. But I sat and played it for awhile and eventually he was like "this is pretty sweet" as he listened to the voiceovers in Curse. I taught him the history of adventure gaming (the little I know) and how they were "quite dead" and that Monkey Island was one of the ancient and old forgotten games of adventure gaming's glory days. He was personally sad it was dead although he just watched the games.

...luck jerk had to wait like 4 months for a sequel, I waited nine years.

As for me personally...

I was born like a year before or after MI came out. My mother loved adventure games and my dad used to be a consultant for a computer company, so he naturally picked up random adventure games for her as he had time to kill and money to waste.

Flash forward about five years or so later when I'm six or something, I'm playing Monkey Island 2. One of my very first memories is Guybrush on the hill in the cemetery making that big silly grin as he dug up that relative of Largo's grave.

From there I was hooked. When we flashforwarded to better technology that didn't work with the old floppy disc versions of Money Island, I was devastated - think I was 12 or something. I did play the crap out of Monkey III though.
  • edited June 2009
    Shiversul wrote: »
    Im only 15, and i discovered it completely by chance

I had purchased Croc for pc when i was a kid, probs around 7-8, and in the case was a piece of paper saying if i sent it in a could get a free game, and it had a heap of games listed including Curse. I just randomly picked Curse, so after a while it came in the mail, i played it and loved it

Then i bought the massive collectors box and played em all

How did you guys get into em?

Read the excellent reviews MI1 got at the time for the Amiga 500 and got it for Christmas. I was around 11. It was my very first adventure game and totally got lost in the game.
    I remember waiting for what seemed like forever for the sequel to come out after that, reading all the previews for it and looking at the PC reviews waiting for it to come to the Amiga. Finally got it and was not disappointed.
    However; I was disappointed when Curse was not to come to the Amiga and spent 2 years jealously looking at the media for the PC and thinking how amazing it looked. 2 Years later I got my very first PC and picked this up along with my other very first PC game, AvP.
    MI4 was a disappointment, though at the time I was blinded my the need for more MI as to it's quality.

I just hope Telltales games can match the originals.
  • edited June 2009
    First Game I played on and Im still playing on it even to this day

im new by the way
  • edited June 2009
    I found the cd version of escape in a box at my dad's company when I was 10(I'm now 18). Played the game and was totaly hooked on it. A guy at the office found it so funny that I liked the old game he, gave me his copy of revenge. Later I found curse in the libary when they wanted to get rid of it. Got escape from a friend how had bought it after hearing me preach hours on how great the series where. And now I'm waiting on more MI:D
  • edited June 2009
    i mostly played console games growing up, getting into adventure games on the NES. Around the time that the internet went public, i was hooked almost immedietly and grabbed a computer to go online with. I started hearing people talk about it then, but didnt think much about it until years later, when Escape from Monkey Island came out for PS2. Since there werent many adventure games for me to enjoy lately, and since i had heard nothing but good things about the series, i bought it and tried it out. At first it was hard to get into, and i kept getting stuck, but eventually i really started to like it. So...yeah. :D
  • edited June 2009
    I was 9 and my dad had just brought me home a brand new amiga 500, and he'd bought this game with it, monkey island

anyways he let me have a go, and i accidently clicked the wrong dialogue option and told the pirate leaders i wanted to be a firemen,

25 plays through later i still love monkey island
  • edited June 2009
    I am not certain but I think I was about your age , maybe even 17 I can't remember . I discovered it through DOTT and Sam and Max . I can't remember exactly how I got it, maybe for my birthday . I got 1 and 2 on the same CD . Love them both but Curse equally and the 4th nearly . I'm a big fan. I am 21 now.
  • edited June 2009
    I was about 9 or 10 and we got a new computer (we had a commodore 64...it was the 80's!) and we got 2 games, and one was Secret of Monkey Island. My brother, dad and I spent months playing it...
  • edited June 2009
    Well I was fascinated by the artwork on this box one day and bought it:

http://www.thelegacy.de/pics/cover/m/M_36843_1125856595_monkey_island_collection_1.jpg

Since that day I love adventure games.

PS: Is there anybody else in this forum who buys things because of beautiful artwork. You can really discover the greatest things you didn't even know they existed if you do. Or you can buy complete crap.
  • edited June 2009
    I remember the original Monkey Island being the first game I ever bought for PC! That being nearly 20 years ago when I was about 11/12... It took me over a year to finish it, as I got stuck twice, (use mug o' grog with mug, and key in cereal box) and had to get my cousin to tell me what I'd missed....

Later, I memorised the Woodchuck conversation from MI2, and annoyed many people by quoting it - lots!

MI3, the early internet era, and waiting 4 hours for a 50Mb download of the demo... then bugging the guy in the games shop until he got it in!

MI4... the heart-breaker. I never actually finished the game - I just couldn't get the hang of the controls :( (I think it may be time to try again!)
  • edited June 2009
    Kezmoo wrote: »
    MI4... the heart-breaker. I never actually finished the game - I just couldn't get the hang of the controls :( (I think it may be time to try again!)

It maybe is. Every fan should at least finish it once and then lock it in a place where it will no longer spread it's evil powers
  • edited June 2009
    Shiversul wrote: »
    How did you discover MI?

Well I was sailing with my friends one day and I decided to make some soup, then we all fell asleep. When we woke up we were at Monkey Island™.
  • edited June 2009
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8841

...meh, so many duplicate threads.. And this one was one the front page! >:|
    ahwell
  • edited June 2009
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    It maybe is. Every fan should at least finish it once and then lock it in a place where it will no longer spread it's evil powers

...well,i liked it... :mad:
  • edited June 2009
    my older brother bought it and loom. I was like 5 when I first saw monkey island and loom. After mario monkey island is my second most favorite video game series.

So ever since then, I been addicted to MI.
  • edited June 2009
    Well, it all started back in 1956 when the British had rescued the French from that awful castle ...

And in those days we used to call money: bees, and you'd say how much money you'd had by saying how many bees you had...

okay, so I resuscitated an old Simpsons joke in order to make this post sound funny. But in all seriousness, MI and I met on a lonely night on the side of the dock. I'd been about to drown myself after dying in the first 3 minutes of Space Quest V about a billion times. I'd say that was the greatest day of my life. That and, I'd never have to approach that damn robot in Space Quest V again.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.