Handheld Playforms?

Just read reply over at Lucasarts forums:

"We're looking into tons of methods of distribution right now, including even handhelds, but really want to focus on this product and prove it can be a success in the world of modern games. "

Would Telltale ever consider porting their games to DS/iPhone?

I think these devices are perfect for adventure games.

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Very true, DS & iPhone are perfect devices for point n' clicks don't know why LucasArts or anyone else has done this yet, in fact you can get Flight of the Amazon Queen on iPhone now as it was recently re-released
  • edited June 2009
    I play the first two games on Nintendo DS all the time... its nice to have it on the go when you're stuck waiting somewhere.
  • edited June 2009
    True dat, I've got the first two MI games on my PSP as well. With games like those wherever I go, who needs friends?

Anyhoo, with LucasArts rereleasing Secret of Monkey Island, there's hope that the renewed interest in the series (and, indeed, in point'n'clicks in general) will eventually result in the genre getting some portable love. The DS and iPhone, as mentioned above, are the most obvious candidates, but I'd like to put in a good word for the PSP as well - did we not play Escape From Monkey Island joyously on the PS2? Pointing isn't as important as clicking, I'd say.
  • edited June 2009
    there is actually a lot of Adventure games on Nintendo DS already... its a fun little system actually... I was skeptical about it but my kids kept on bugging us to get one and we eventually did.
  • edited June 2009
    Plus, it has the Phoenix Wright series, which so far has done no wrong, and I love that series almost as much as I love Monkey Island. It's that good. The game mechanics are really nifty, and the translation shines, because it's intentionally funny, rather than unintentionally so (like a bunch of translated European PC adventures I could mention).

So the DS can stand by its own merits, I'd say.
  • edited June 2009
    I recently got the director's cut of Broken Sword for the DS which I enjoyed. It was far easier playing it on the DS than trying to get my original copy to work on my current PC.
  • edited June 2009
    If they were to put the game on DS, they would have to reduce the file size to that of an N64 game. But theoretically it's not impossible. But it would look like EMI's graphics.
  • edited June 2009
    I recently got the director's cut of Broken Sword for the DS which I enjoyed. It was far easier playing it on the DS than trying to get my original copy to work on my current PC.

You should have given ScummVM a chance..
  • edited June 2009
    Has anyone got Curse working on PSP?
  • edited June 2009
    Shiversul wrote: »
    Has anyone got Curse working on PSP?

Yes I did once, it sometimes ran really slow and the cannon firing part in Part 1 was pretty awkward to do. I left it all uncompressed though, I tried some of the MP3 converts for the cutscenes and they kept going out of sync, they should of done OGG instead. As for the graphics, they arn't bad, they're a little squashed but you get used to it and the cutscenes look good.
  • edited June 2009
    Getting CFW is one of the many things on my to do but too scared to do list
  • edited June 2009
    werpu wrote: »
    You should have given ScummVM a chance..

I do use ScummVM and have done for a while. But I had problems with getting Broken Sword to work with it properly. I've actually managed to get it sorted recently but I don't mind having the director's cut version as well.
  • edited June 2009
    yeah its pretty great on the DS
  • edited June 2009
    Shiversul wrote: »
    Getting CFW is one of the many things on my to do but too scared to do list

Oh I'd reccommend it, CFW on a PSP opens up a lot more choice, I always keep a copy of ScummVM and a Mega Drive emulator on me.
  • edited June 2009
    Very true, DS & iPhone are perfect devices for point n' clicks don't know why LucasArts or anyone else has done this yet, in fact you can get Flight of the Amazon Queen on iPhone now as it was recently re-released

Don't underestimate how hard it is to create a proper control-mechanism for mobile devices. You don't have a mouse-pointer to indicate an area is clickable. In Amazon Queen on iPhone (or actually the SCUMMVM iPhone port) they did add a mouse-pointer, but it leads to cumbersome counter-intuitive controls.

Runaway 2 was actually quite a nice game on the DS. But they implemented a feature that shows all clickable areas in a scene and has the additional screen to provide zoom-functionality. I'm not sure it would work well on the iPhone because you're using your fingers instead of a stylus. The clickable area needs to be quite a bit bigger for that to work.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.