Side characters of the new game

I have nothing but high hopes for this series, i think the graphics look fine, i think guybrush looks fine etc

I got no serious issues. But i got a minor one that's been bothering me...

Is it me or do alot of the side characters looks rather uninspired and boring looking?

s.jpg

They've got this weird yet not exciting style of have small tired looking eyes with fat faces or big jaws.
ss.jpg

sss.jpg

It's almost like they're effected by working on the wallace and gromit games.

wallcegromit-thumb-640xauto-1281.jpg

I'm just hoping their personalities make up for this, sam and max has brilliant marathon of interesting side characters and i'm really hoping that they do a good job at expanding the monkey island universe with just as exciting new characters. :)

Comments

• edited June 2009
    ...also they've all got fat looking bags under their eyes, even guybrush.
  • edited June 2009
    A design is nothing when based only on one element. A design is something that is precise and needs every one of its elements to be a design. All these characters have been designed. We can't judge them until we see them in the game. When speaking of their psychology , that is their intellectual properties , visual properties hardly cover everything, and ignore things such as humor, voice acting, expression ...dialoq ....character......Design is for the people and is a people's psychology you can't get an appreciation for how a character makes you feel truly until you've seen the full character .
  • edited June 2009
    Maybe it's because i'm a art student so i find it rather distracting but i do feel a characters appearance should work with the character's personality.

For example, Super ball's look works well with the personality he has.

I see what you mean and i hope your right, i hope it all comes together well.
  • edited June 2009
    Maybe it's because i'm a art student so i find it rather distracting but i do feel a characters appearance should work with the character's personality.

For example, Super ball's look works well with the personality he has.

I see what you mean and i hope your right, i hope it all comes together well.

I like to ramble on, keep my mind moving. I do agree that they look boring right now, nothing as well as say...Blood island characters but we can only hope. I am a graphic design student. I take a bunch of boring classes that preach it so I am stuck on it like a robot barking at innocences . I've been programmed to see design in everything, and to give any design artist a chance to prove him or herself after I've seen every detail of the work. Visually they are sort of a bore , which sort of does distant us from the individual , but perhaps the personality will draw us back in. I do see your side , I have to try to see everyone's side. Which is why I argue to bring it out.
  • edited June 2009
    Its much easier for a designer and everyone onboard when they have great voice actors to bring it to life. Curse of Monkey Island was a genuine mix of perfect character design and ingenious actors. Even minor characters - like Slappy Cromwell for instance, or Mr. Fossey are incredibly good presented and narrated with a great sense of match between actual apperance of the character and voices.

Now, we can apply the same for Monkey 4, even if the characters design does not match the Curse of MI one, but still because of the great crew of actors (almost the same crew from Curse, i believe) the characters have personality. I m not sure if Tales of MI is better or not then Escape from MI in therms of graphic and design, but it is really a good thing that we see group of same actors as before.

Now, i would like to point to a Special Edition of Monkey Island and scene with LeChuck as an example. There has been much talk about characters design, and most agreed that its not that good, especially as for Guybrush new look. Now, we can also debate about LeChuck appereance, or quality of the background drawings, but nevertheless, the scene i mentioned is incredibly believeable thanks to these actors. The video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsAvnC0O7sE

As for the mentioned characters in Tales of MI, i agree with presidentmax overall, but i can tell that the character of the captain from the trailer has distinct personality and sounds pretty good.
  • edited June 2009
    Well said , thank you for posting that clip. I agree that the voice acting in Mi-4 made up for alot. I still laugh in my head about the hellbeard scene. CLASSIC
  • edited June 2009
    Seems like everyone is tired in the Monkey Island universe! Maybe it's because everyone slept during the 9 year break of the franchise... :D
  • edited June 2009
    From what I understand of the Story behing the first chapter, these are the inhabitants of Flotsam island. Flotsam is the place where things washup and never leave. Or to put in other words, this is a community of Pirate-rejects. So it is actually kind of apropriate that they have a boring and/or depressed look 'cause these guys are the losers of the piratecommunity and they will stay that way untill they get of their unleaveable island. It's almost depressing writing about this.
    I also agree that the captain, Reginald van Winslow if I'm not mistaken, is rather fun. He seems almost childishly full of himself 'cause he's been king-of-the-hill/captain-of-the-Screaming-Narwhal for 2 years straight.

Also note that we've seen only a few characters yet and many will follow. Personally I've faith in the abilities of Telltale Games.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.