A question about SCUMMVM and CMI

So, I have CDs for all four Monkey Island games, but when I play Curse, the text options are cut off on one side. Should I be running it through SCUMMVM, or is there an option to change resolution within the game? I mean, it doesn't seem to interfere with my gameplay, but it is a bit irritating to have text (even non-important text) cut off at one side.

Comments

• edited June 2009
    xfinitex wrote: »
    So, I have CDs for all four Monkey Island games, but when I play Curse, the text options are cut off on one side. Should I be running it through SCUMMVM, or is there an option to change resolution within the game? I mean, it doesn't seem to interfere with my gameplay, but it is a bit irritating to have text (even non-important text) cut off at one side.

ScummVM SHOULD fix any problems you have with the game. What OS are you using?
  • edited June 2009
    Sounds like your monitor doesn't like 640x480, which is CMI's default resolution. It's actually a pretty standard problem. I had a similar issue literally yesterday while playing CMI as well, where it would stretch 640x480 across my widescreen monitor. I had to make a custom resolution through nVidia's utility for my videocard to fix that. And when you play CMI with ScummVM, be sure to set the scaler to 2x the normal resolution. That should fix your problem.
  • edited June 2009
    SCUMMVM works great for CMI.
  • edited June 2009
    The only thing that's been bugging me lately with ScummVM, and it was most noticeable while playing CMI.. there was no sort of v-sync going on. My eyes just seem to be really sensitive to screen tearing. Although.. hm.. I guess it was really more h-sync? Not even sure how to go about fixing that.
  • edited June 2009
    Only problem I had with CMI and XP was with the cutscenes, but when I reduced sound accerlation level from DxDiag everything works fine.

But with your problem I would recommend that you do like Hoppy suggests and customize resolution of your monitor. You could also use ScummVM, but personally I don't like it.

I rather solve problems individually with newer games and with older games I use DOSBox. My beef with ScummVM is that it changes load/save menus of Monkey 1 & 2. (I haven't tried it with CMI), while DOSBox doesn't change anything.
  • edited June 2009
    As mentioned before if the text is getting cut off on the side of the screen, you may need to check your monitor's settings. It's not uncommon with CRT monitors that you may need to readjust your screen positioning/sizing when displayed at a different resolution. Other than that you may also want to look into your graphics card's settings.

ScummVM definitely works great to bring games to systems where they otherwise wouldn't work, but it doesn't sound like this is something you need to be using based on your symptoms.

As far as ScummVM replacing the menus in SMI/LCR...I'm guessing that's in the other 5%. DOSBox is a DOS emulator, so it should allow everything to appear exactly as it would when run from a DOS prompt. ScummVM however is a SCUMM-engine emulator which is more complex than emulating DOS. They are also putting a lot of focus into specific points of support for specific games (hence the grossly differing levels of compatibility between games). Both are definitely wonderful projects, but definitely created with very different goals in mind. ;)
  • edited June 2009
    Only problem I had with CMI and XP was with the cutscenes, but when I reduced sound accerlation level from DxDiag everything works fine.

But with your problem I would recommend that you do like Hoppy suggests and customize resolution of your monitor. You could also use ScummVM, but personally I don't like it.

I rather solve problems individually with newer games and with older games I use DOSBox. My beef with ScummVM is that it changes load/save menus of Monkey 1 & 2. (I haven't tried it with CMI), while DOSBox doesn't change anything.

does CMI even have a dos version? I remember it as a windows only.
  • edited June 2009
    I don't understand why you're not using ScummVM for all supported games. It's wonderful, and the graphics filters make everything so much crisper. Less so in CMI, but it's still there.
  • edited June 2009
    I've just started playing CMI again and I'm doing it through ScummVM simply because it works perfectly. Ok you have to use the option menu provided by the program (you can still open the original options menu but you can't change anything there or save & load - the enable 3D acceleration option still works though!) but it also makes it easier to run the game at it's natural size in a window. I play most of my games in windowed mode if I can now simply because of my dual monitor setup, in that they are of differing sizes which means when the primary monitor has a full screen game/program running which isn't at the resolution of that monitor it messes up the display on my secondary monitor.
  • edited June 2009
    I play most of my games in windowed mode if I can now simply because of my dual monitor setup, in that they are of differing sizes which means when the primary monitor has a full screen game/program running which isn't at the resolution of that monitor it messes up the display on my secondary monitor.
    I have this same problem with my dual monitor setup, and I hate it. Too bad each can't be treated as their own desktop, with windows and input devices interchangeable across both.
  • edited June 2009
    I have this same problem with my dual monitor setup, and I hate it. Too bad each can't be treated as their own desktop, with windows and input devices interchangeable across both.

They can.... I used to have my TV and PC set up that way... I could slide things over to my TV and view it there.
  • edited June 2009
    Irishmile wrote: »
    They can.... I used to have my TV and PC set up that way... I could slide things over to my TV and view it there.
    ...I meant without the resolution change of one affecting the other. Independent desktops, I guess. That's what I meant by being treated as their own desktops. Guess I wasn't clear enough.
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah... that is actually what I had... my TV was a different resolution.. and was a separate desktop. IE I could send a movie over to my tv from my PC and still surf the net on my computer
  • edited June 2009
    Irishmile wrote: »
    Yeah... that is actually what I had... my TV was a different resolution.. and was a separate desktop. IE I could send a movie over to my tv from my PC and still surf the net on my computer
    Okay, I guess I'm still not being clear enough. When you have two with different resolutions, and you load a game on one that changes the resolution of one of the screens, it messes up the other screen.
  • edited June 2009
    Mataku wrote: »
    does CMI even have a dos version? I remember it as a windows only.

Nope it's just for windows, but it works without issues under XP as long as you remember to reduce the audio accerlation. Often heavy adjustment of settings is required to get Win95 game run under XP, so I'm surprised how easily old LucasArts games run under XP.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.